Votes: 16 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 59.0%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've purchased my Oris Divers 65 Bronze Bezel (40mm) in October and while it didn't get much wear, I do enjoy it when it does find the wrist, I really like the aesthetics and I think that it's got some magic to it, and a little quirkiness with the bronze bezel and all.

Fast forward to this week when I copped the ubiquitous Tudor Black Bay 58 Gilt. I think that, despite the price difference, these are very similar watches in their intention, so I'm just thinking out loud here, do you think there's a place for these two in one collection, or must the Oris go? Obviously the BB58 is going to be one of my main watches from now on.

Would like to hear your opinions. Thanks to all repliers!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Are there self-defined rules about having similar watches in your collection? If so, then sell the Oris. However, if you don't have any self-defined rules, then don't sell it. Or are you asking if you should create a rule, and then act according to it?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Since you stated that the BB58 is going to be one of your main watches I would (reluctantly) sell the Oris. That 65 w/bronze bezel is one of my favorites of all the combinations out there. Tough call but there is a lot of overlap.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there self-defined rules about having similar watches in your collection? If so, then sell the Oris. However, if you don't have any self-defined rules, then don't sell it. Or are you asking if you should create a rule, and then act according to it?
Nope, I don't have any rules, I just feel that they're too similar in a sense. I guess that's what I was asking? :)

Just wanted others' opinions.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
These are both good-looking watches, but I think the Oris is a lot more attractive. I'd much rather wear the Oris than the Tudor. But of course, it's all personal preference. I don't follow the preowned market for Oris, but the question you might ask yourself is this: "If I sell the Oris and later regret it, what's the likely cost of repurchasing one?" If the repurchase cost is likely to be high, then I wouldn't sell it, at least not until I'm more sure that I wouldn't want one again.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi all. I've purchased my Oris Divers 65 Bronze Bezel (40mm) in October and while it didn't get much wear, I do enjoy it when it does find the wrist, I really like the aesthetics and I think that it's got some magic to it, and a little quirkiness with the bronze bezel and all.

Fast forward to this week when I copped the ubiquitous Tudor Black Bay 58 Gilt. I think that, despite the price difference, these are very similar watches in their intention, so I'm just thinking out loud here, do you think there's a place for these two in one collection, or must the Oris go? Obviously the BB58 is going to be one of my main watches from now on.

View attachment 15647918
If I were You I'd keep the Oris. To me it's much more interesting, love the brand and I like the design more.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Really depends on how big your collection is, for me, the oris would definitely have to go. Especially when you mentioned it barely got any wrist time even before the BB58 arrived. This is coming from someone who enjoys having a small collection tho.

Congrats on the pick up btw!

·
Registered
907 Posts
I think there is some overlap simply in terms of having two vintage-inspired dive watches, but would say that they can co-exist in a collection. After all, the Oris give you a date complication, and a bit of uniqueness with the bronze bezel ring. I suppose if you wanted to move on from that particular Oris, but really love its bronze bezel style, you could always look to add a different mode from the Divers Sixty-five collection in the future that has a markedly different dial to add some variety (such as the 40mm with the sunset brown or green dial).

I but would agree with the recommendations above that putting the Oris on a different strap (such as a tropic rubber) would suffice to mix things up.

Reactions: Sambation

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These are both good-looking watches, but I think the Oris is a lot more attractive. I'd much rather wear the Oris than the Tudor. But of course, it's all personal preference. I don't follow the preowned market for Oris, but the question you might ask yourself is this: "If I sell the Oris and later regret it, what's the likely cost of repurchasing one?" If the repurchase cost is likely to be high, then I wouldn't sell it, at least not until I'm more sure that I wouldn't want one again.
That's good food for thought, thanks.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
They are too similar for me. I'd only keep one. And like others on here I prefer the Oris

Reactions: tacit and Sambation

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I have 4 Oris 65 BBs & the BB58..I find wrist time for all of them..I say hold onto all of them..while yours does look good on the tropic strap, maybe try the Oris bi-color bracelet?..here's a pic of mine so adorned..
Oris Divers 65 BB Momotaro & others(3).JPG

·
Registered
579 Posts

View attachment 15647918
You should keep them both. Nothing as cool as a couple of vintage style divers.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts