WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
How long have you had your watch? I've had mine for a few years now and don't see the same signs of wear. I did swap the bracelet out for the Nato, so I haven't been wearing the bracelet a lot, but my case is still pretty much pristine.

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
There are services that will redo PVD coating but it is not cheap.

Reactions: Nokie

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
PVD / DLC will wear off / chip off over time. wearing off is not so bad, the chipping is just ugly. The chipping is caused by the deformation of metal underneath the harder coating.

Ideally Tudor should have hardened the steel first to avoid this happening - but they don’t.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Unfortunately thats metal damage not PVD wear as per Bluco's comment. GP7742 comments plus the steel in a SINN U50 is twice as hard as the steel in a black bay and more resistant to corrosion.

The blackbay is a great watch but its not a tool watch. It will take a knock but wont necessarily stand up to one. Its a watch for gentlemen not hardmen.

If you feel sad about it get it fixed up and buy a gshock for the days you known it might the kind of a day you should wear a gshock. Youll be happier all round seeing your gshock shrug off the bangs and scraps and you blackbay looking svelte.

·
Registered
47,277 Posts
Probably why I have no PVD or DLC costed watches.

All the ones I have ever looked at used have had chips or patches of wear, and contrary to most on here I don’t like scratches or chunks out of my watches as they draw my eye and heighten my OCD.

• Helpful
Reactions: chas58

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think that's called patina, or sometimes wabi sabi, and increases the (emotional) value of the watch. It also makes it not worth it to flip it, making it invaluable, and therefore something you pass down across generational lines.

Then after a couple of generations of this, someone at Hodinkee buys it, and that big scratch you put on the bracelet gets a fantastic story attached to it, and it now increases in intrinsic and financial value.

That is the cycle. Embrace it.

(hopefully, my "WUS with early coffee" humor is coming through)

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Wow, looks bad. Guess that is one reason I won't spend more than a couple hundred on a coated watch. I like to wear my watches, and they get worn (well, except for the Sub steel, that still looks new). Maybe trade it in for a ceramic BB?

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I have a Tudor black Bay Dark, but the pvd is beginning to wear off across the bracelet and watch. Is there any way to restore it? View attachment 16819036
View attachment 16819035
As stated above, essentially the PVD has to be stripped and re-applied.

There are a lot of companies that do PVD but just like paint or any other kind of coating application, the quality of the final product depends a lot on the company's skill.

The watch has to be completely disassembled before anything can happen. If I wanted to get PVD re-applied I would send the watch back to Tudor, not some random industrial company.

PVD coating is expected to wear like that though, so I wouldn't consider that wear to be a big deal.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yea I don't own any PVD coated watches, but I love the way it wears off the edges.
This watch:
is probably one of the coolest watches I've seen period, simply because of the worn coating. A lot of old, coated Porshe Design watches look this way as well and I love it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts