WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Tudor Black Bay Dark - PVD wearing off

5K views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  kstalma9 
#1 ·
I have a Tudor black Bay Dark, but the pvd is beginning to wear off across the bracelet and watch. Is there any way to restore it?
Watch Analog watch Black Sleeve Clock

Watch Arm Analog watch Gesture Everyday carry

See less See more
#5 ·
There are services that will redo PVD coating but it is not cheap.

Reactions: Nokie
#7 ·
#10 ·
As @Bluco writes, it is the underlying steel that is too weak and so the coating chips and wears. Sinn uses TEGIMENT to prevent this effect from being as severe, and they succeed.

Embrace it, OP. Every watch scratches/gets worn down...

Reactions: GatorIndiana
#11 ·
Unfortunately thats metal damage not PVD wear as per Bluco's comment. GP7742 comments plus the steel in a SINN U50 is twice as hard as the steel in a black bay and more resistant to corrosion.

The blackbay is a great watch but its not a tool watch. It will take a knock but wont necessarily stand up to one. Its a watch for gentlemen not hardmen.

If you feel sad about it get it fixed up and buy a gshock for the days you known it might the kind of a day you should wear a gshock. Youll be happier all round seeing your gshock shrug off the bangs and scraps and you blackbay looking svelte.

#13 ·
Probably why I have no PVD or DLC costed watches.

All the ones I have ever looked at used have had chips or patches of wear, and contrary to most on here I don’t like scratches or chunks out of my watches as they draw my eye and heighten my OCD.

• Helpful
Reactions: chas58
#15 ·
I think that's called patina, or sometimes wabi sabi, and increases the (emotional) value of the watch. It also makes it not worth it to flip it, making it invaluable, and therefore something you pass down across generational lines.

Then after a couple of generations of this, someone at Hodinkee buys it, and that big scratch you put on the bracelet gets a fantastic story attached to it, and it now increases in intrinsic and financial value.

That is the cycle. Embrace it.

(hopefully, my "WUS with early coffee" humor is coming through)

#17 ·
As stated above, essentially the PVD has to be stripped and re-applied.

There are a lot of companies that do PVD but just like paint or any other kind of coating application, the quality of the final product depends a lot on the company's skill.

The watch has to be completely disassembled before anything can happen. If I wanted to get PVD re-applied I would send the watch back to Tudor, not some random industrial company.

PVD coating is expected to wear like that though, so I wouldn't consider that wear to be a big deal.

#19 ·
Yea I don't own any PVD coated watches, but I love the way it wears off the edges.
This watch:
is probably one of the coolest watches I've seen period, simply because of the worn coating. A lot of old, coated Porshe Design watches look this way as well and I love it!

#21 ·
Partially why I went for the strap instead of the bracelet on the black bay dark is so I wouldn’t notice the wear and tear as fast. Plus I think the strap changes the character to both sporty and casual. I think you should just rock the scratches just like any other watch.

Watch Analog watch Arm Gesture Clock

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.