WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - some of you will remember my thread of my AD experience a few weeks ago with trying on a handful of watches I've researched online, but hadn't yet seen in person.

I'll likely return this weekend for another look. Last time I came away really enthralled with the Tudor black bay black. I'm still very taken with it and have sold a watch in preparation - but I'm also curious about the movement from anyone who currently owns a black bay (I didn't try winding it in the store). Has anyone had issues? Anyone hand wind it or top it up somewhat frequently?

I've been wearing my Steinhart OVM lately and winding it (and hearing it) however, reminded me of all the various issues people have apparently had with wear and trouble from hand-winding the ETA 2824-2. Tudor's however, is modified, so perhaps the kinks have been ironed out? I haven't read a lot of threads of Tudors having issues, but figured I should ask the owners.

Its not that I'd intend to wind an automatic every day. But I'd like to be able to top it up once a week without fear of damage if necessary.

Thanks so much for the insight and discussion everyone!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have a original Tudor Pelagos with the same modified movement as the Black Bay. Mine gets hand wound maybe once or twice per month (when ever I update the time to keep it accurate). I have not had any issues with it. I would describe it a bullet proof.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
The 2824's hand winding issues, though overstated I think, are nonetheless real and I see no reason to believe the Tudor Calibre 2824 wouldn't be subject to them. Nonetheless, 99.99999% of owners never have a problem.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I honestly can't think of a more reliable movement. I've owned 2 Black Bays and a Pelagos and I never had any issues with hand winding. The Black Bay is hands down my favorite watch.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
My Tudor 95090 has been with me for 23 years since I bought it new and I always keep it running by manual winding when I wear my other pieces, no problem whatsoever and I've had it serviced for only 3 times...I think that speaks volume about the reliability.

It's still running within COSC spec.

Same with my Heritage Ranger, manual winding whenever necessary and I had it for a little over a year...no issues.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
751 Posts
I never hand wind my 2824s. I read up on the issue enough to convince me it was a bad idea, although I can't remember the key sources now.

I seem remember it's about premature wear rather than causing a problem you would notice over a year or two.

I find I just don't need to anyway.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I never hand wind my 2824s. I read up on the issue enough to convince me it was a bad idea, although I can't remember the key sources now.

I seem remember it's about premature wear rather than causing a problem you would notice over a year or two.

I find I just don't need to anyway.
Here is one resource on the Watchmaking forum--

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/f6-2824-handwinding-thread-866942.html

The upgraded Tudor version apparently does not address this issue but rather the regulator and shock absorber.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/why-doesnt-tudor-put-better-movements-their-divers-their-asking-prices-820855-14.html#post6009169

So, I just hand wind to get the Ranger going and let the watch do the rest. Same with another watch with a 2836-2 movement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts