WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is weird and I just wanted to get some ideas as to what could be behind this.
Recently, it seems like the market is flooded with Tudor Black Bay GMT's. Prices are hovering as low as $3200.
What could be causing this? Too much production? Are people falling out of love with the watch? Date issues (which I thought by now had been addressed)
What gives?

·
Registered
676 Posts
This is weird and I just wanted to get some ideas as to what could be behind this.
Recently, it seems like the market is flooded with Tudor Black Bay GMT's. Prices are hovering as low as $3200.
What could be causing this? Too much production? Are people falling out of love with the watch? Date issues (which I thought by now had been addressed)
What gives?
The watch has had its issues. It also wears chunky and is not everyone’s cup of tea. I also think there is an expectation Tudor is going to drop a BB58 GMT and the BB GMT will lose market share.

·
Registered
668 Posts
It had it's moment in the sun, people were chasing them for both personal wear and possible flipping opportunity.

Right now there are a lot of watches like this, plenty of buyers who don't really like the watch but like either the social media prestige or the potential to turn a profit.

Expect over the next two or three years to see a SLEW of once impossible to get timepieces flooding the market as people leave the hobby and or try to recover investments.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I still don't get the flipping watch thing. Why buy a watch you don't like? Maybe, it is because I am a hoarder and have not sold a watch. The probability of losing money is higher than making money. By the time the flipper includes expenses like time, transport fees, sales tax, VAT, etc., there isn't much profit to make. I don't care too much for expensive mechanical GMTs as a cheap Casio works better and is not going to be an object of theft. I like Tudors like the BB58 and the 1926, but have little interest in a BB58 GMT.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Its a tough watch to sell second hand because of the datewheel issue.. thats pbb why there are so many and thus why prices drop

Not sure how much guarantee is left on the 2018 models but I can imagine owners sell them off quickly by now

Tudor should extend warranty to 10years for this partical issue but they dont even officially recognize it..

If there is a ever watch you want your 5y warranty on its this one

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
I loved mine initially, but I sold it because I kept getting compliments from people saying “nice Rolex”. Awkward conversations ensued. Then I realized that they ARE kinda Rolex wannabe watches… and that didn’t suite me. I don’t want any of my watches to be wannabe watches. Most black bays aren’t like this, but the GMT is imho. I realized my mistake, sold it, nursed my losses and moved on. I haven’t missed it.
With that said… it had incredible build quality and was scarily accurate. It’s a great watch, just not for me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I saw one in the flesh and my first thoughts were as follows, in order:

1) Love the matte dial
2) Love the bezel thickness and colour
3) That’s seriously chunky and shapeless
4) That’s big
5) The Slab GMT might not be for me

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Any number of reasons could explain why:
  • still inconsistent reports of date wheel malfunctions occurring
  • still thick as a brick
  • still doesn't scratch the Rolex itch
  • readily available = less exclusive = less profit to flippers = price bubble pops
  • social media and the 15:00 of fame has moved on to the next shiny thing
  • stimulus check money is drying up so there's more inventory in the dealer's case

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I think it’s for this very reason why Tudor is not releasing BB58 GMT and never will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great points everyone. As for the BB58 GMT, I gave up on that fantasy and will just enjoy the surprise if they ever do make one.
thesupermanning you make a pretty good point about the close comparison to the GMT Master 2. Probably why I love my Black Bay Steel so much.

·
Registered
Seikosha
1,222 Posts
this is normal.

what’s not normal is watches being sold for 20%-200% above retail. You’re a prisoner of the moment.. the past 3 years of moments... lol.

What gives?

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I still don't get the flipping watch thing. Why buy a watch you don't like? Maybe, it is because I am a hoarder and have not sold a watch. The probability of losing money is higher than making money. By the time the flipper includes expenses like time, transport fees, sales tax, VAT, etc., there isn't much profit to make.
You've hit the nail on the head. People sitting at home in their underpants agog at social media, seeing all these people make "profits" out of this week's "investments". They think that's real life, and they want some. So they queue up, bake cookies or whatever, get the product, take pictures and try to make 50%. They don't care what it is - or was - beyond parroting Hodinkee copy.

This watch is problematic. I would take one free of charge, though.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I think it’s for this very reason why Tudor is not releasing BB58 GMT and never will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. The most talked-about nonexistent watch there is - prompting thousands upon thousands more pages of discussion than on many very interesting real watches, which people would know existed, if only they unplugged their head from their arse.

All else being equal the 5402 movement would have to grow in thickness by about 1mm to accommodate the calendar wheel and GMT modification, and the case fractionally deepened to take that and the additional hand stack height. Can you imagine the pained screams, the screeching, wailing and deathly insults, if Tudor released a 39mm watch that was oVeR 13mM tHiCk mY gOd!!!!1111oneone

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Any number of reasons could explain why:
  • still inconsistent reports of date wheel malfunctions occurring
  • still thick as a brick
  • still doesn't scratch the Rolex itch
  • stimulus check money is drying up so there's more inventory in the dealer's case
So there are problems with the date wheel? The buyer gets five years warranty.
The BB is thick as a brick as Jethro Tull would say. That is why I got the BB58 and not the red bezel Heritage BB that I like.
Tudor is not suppose to scratch the Rolex itch. Rolex looks different.

People who can afford Tudor don't get stimulus checks. At least, I did not.

·
Registered
91 Posts
No idea but I love it. People who got into watches recently are the same kind of people who upgrade their phones each year.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts