WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I loved mine initially, but I sold it because I kept getting compliments from people saying “nice Rolex”. Awkward conversations ensued. Then I realized that they ARE kinda Rolex wannabe watches… and that didn’t suite me. I don’t want any of my watches to be wannabe watches.
I purchased an Armida A9 GMT for my first watch. I love the Pepsi color scheme, and that's why I bought it. Now I see it as a copy, right down to the Mercedes hands. If someone asks me about it, I tell them upfront that it is an Armida A9, but I still feel like a poseur. It saddens me because it is a great watch.

Maybe I should just change the dial.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Talking about GMT here in case you didn’t realize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah but if they wanted to protect resale prices of their watches they had to know the 58 would take the shine off the 41mm BB. Same logic.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
It’s a combo of things for sure. It’s no longer the hot new watch. It’s available at AD’s. The date wheel issue without any official word. People selling off theirs after one of the attempted fixes. And of course people just selling them because they get bored with it (as with any watch).

·
Registered
709 Posts
This is weird and I just wanted to get some ideas as to what could be behind this.
Recently, it seems like the market is flooded with Tudor Black Bay GMT's. Prices are hovering as low as $3200.
What could be causing this? Too much production? Are people falling out of love with the watch? Date issues (which I thought by now had been addressed)
What gives?
Is this the used price? I’m seeing $3700 new at the grays.

On the other hand the new Black Bay Chrono (Panda) at the gray is selling for $6550. $1350 over msrp ($5200).

·
Registered
305 Posts
Interesting opinion. How exactly do you know this. Do you work at Rolex/ Tudor?
If my limited yoes as an engineer ever taught me anything, it is that everything has a design flaw/weakness. I also learned that many times, if the design flaw finds no solution in timely manner, the management tends to accept what they have (a partial solution is likely) and just move on to the next phase in life. Likely this may be the decision process from the bean counters up there in geneva.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I do not, but I continue to see reports of this issue on new watches. People say it was fixed starting at certain serial numbers and then others chime in that they still have the problem. Look at how Omega addressed the 3861 issue. They clearly identified what the cause was, and a solution. That’s how to handle it. The silence is deafening from Tudor on the issue. I wouldn’t buy a watch with this movement unless they acknowledge the issue and explain the solution.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I noticed (in the uk) there are lots of BB58 blue for sell on ebay and I wondered the same thing - I really like the GMT tried it on a few times, but for me its just a bit to chunky and yes the date issue also puts me off.

I suspect they may do a gmt 58 at some point in the future would be madness not to do it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
There were some owners reporting issues even after getting the watch back from service.
Also, basically the silence from Tudor is making some of us suspect a design-level flaw rather than "just" a lubrication problem that some owners are being told.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Always makes me chuckle when someone rages about a watch they don’t like followed by a shopping list of the same watch with different size/colour combo. There must be 500 posts from people that have been holding off the purchase of a Pelagos for 6 years as they’re waiting for a 39mm Green dial version in steel.

I reckon the sheer volume of GMTs on the pre owned market is fuelled by the date wheel issue. I bought mine new for this very reason and even a year ago they weren’t that easy to find new. Pre owned, they were everywhere. Even weirder was the fact they were selling fairly close to retail. Even 2019 models. I considered an older one on the basis that I could get a hefty discount which would cover me against the hassle of the potential date wheel issue but the dealers wouldn’t budge far. I would be curious to see if they’re any easier to get a deal on in the current market.

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
This is weird and I just wanted to get some ideas as to what could be behind this.
Recently, it seems like the market is flooded with Tudor Black Bay GMT's. Prices are hovering as low as $3200.
What could be causing this? Too much production? Are people falling out of love with the watch? Date issues (which I thought by now had been addressed)
What gives?
I have one. I paid MSRP for it when the GM price was $200-600 more than MSRP. I think the primary reason for your observation is the issues they've had with the date wheel where after a few months, it would skip a day. To compound the issue, there were multiple reports of watches returned from warranty repair that developed the same issue. I've never had that issue. I think production has caught up with demand, so there's another reason. When I got mine in June of 2020, I had to wait 2 weeks, which was pretty quick back then. I personally like mine very much. I don't find it clunky at all. Super legible. True GMT with the quick set hour hand. Excellent lume. Very comfortable on the wrist.

I'm not sure where you're seeing prices at $3200. Jomashop has them for $3950 on bracelet, which is only $100 less than MSRP. Perhaps the $3200 is for a used one? Prices on Chrono24 are still running pretty close to MSRP, even for pre-owned ones.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The Tudor BB58 and GMT are a forum tee shirt of a watch. Must have then join the groups then get sick of the sight of it. Along with almost daily posts of QC issues.

Sold mine. Tried to sell it to a dealer I know. He refused as he was offered 2 that day. Buys to order only.

Kind of like the Prince Date. Tho I know I’m just seeing an Oyster Perpetual in it. Had one and sold it too.

But yeah. Get a Tudor, wear the tee shirt and move on. Maybe get the Rolex you had in mind when you bought it. ;)

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
The Tudor BB58 and GMT are a forum tee shirt of a watch. Must have then join the groups then get sick of the sight of it. Along with almost daily posts of QC issues.

Sold mine. Tried to sell it to a dealer I know. He refused as he was offered 2 that day. Buys to order only.

Kind of like the Prince Date. Tho I know I’m just seeing an Oyster Perpetual in it. Had one and sold it too.

But yeah. Get a Tudor, wear the tee shirt and move on. Maybe get the Rolex you had in mind when you bought it. ;)
As I said earlier, I have gone the other way, had the Pepsi, Coke & Black GMT II's got bored with them & sold them. I have now owned the Tudor GMT since 2018 & its going nowhere, it is a stunning well made & very well priced watch, in fact I am so impressed I have ordered a Harrods edition Black Bay. :) (y)

·
Registered
597 Posts
This thread reminded me that I hadn’t worn mine for a while
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

I personally think it’s a great watch. Not sure why there is an increase in availability on the secondary market, but it likely is due to the fact that this is not the watch de jour anymore.

·
Registered
762 Posts
This idea that a Tudor is a watch for people wanting a Rolex but can't afford/obtain one seems naive, esp on watch forum. To me, Tudor stand on their own and should be desirable in themselves. I personally have no wish to own a Sub (regardless of scarcity) cos its too expensive for me and modern versions are a tad large and blingy for my liking. But I love the BB58 and am definitely considering one.
And I wouldn't give a c*** if someone mistook it for a Rolex or figured I was a guy who couldn't pony up for "the real thing".

·
Registered
657 Posts
As I said earlier, I have gone the other way, had the Pepsi, Coke & Black GMT II's got bored with them & sold them. I have now owned the Tudor GMT since 2018 & its going nowhere, it is a stunning well made & very well priced watch, in fact I am so impressed I have ordered a Harrods edition Black Bay. :) (y)
That’s fair enough. I’ve seen one in person. Looks better than all the photos. Just relaying my experience and deductions.

Going through what I’ve gone through several times. Owning Rolex etc. I like cheaper stuff. Got a Seiko Sumo Hulk after the BB58 went. It’s +4 SPD and could well be one of the best looking watches I’ve seen.

Not saying I wouldn’t have a Rolex Hulk but I’d likely have the same existential crisis I always have. Who do I think I am? And sell it.

Contemplating selling my Omega SMP 300 new model. Just not exited about it either.

Sorry for the ramble. ;)

·
Registered
709 Posts
If my limited yoes as an engineer ever taught me anything, it is that everything has a design flaw/weakness. I also learned that many times, if the design flaw finds no solution in timely manner, the management tends to accept what they have (a partial solution is likely) and just move on to the next phase in life. Likely this may be the decision process from the bean counters up there in geneva.
I'm an aerospace engineer and we would NEVER permit a design issue to continue. Even a small one.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts