WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I was looking at picking up a Tudor Black Bay GMT. I wanted the steel bracelet, but I found a great deal on the Nato version of the watch. I was wondering how easy or costly it would be to get the steel bracelet by itself, especially since I couldn't find many options or answers online for this.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
458 Posts
OEM bracelets do pop up every now and then and you will likely pay more for the bracelet than the difference between two watches in each configuration. My purchasing strategy is to wait for a model to come available with the bracelet and use aftermarket straps/NATOs as an option, if desired. The BB GMT is not that rare or hard to find so I would wait it out for a deal on an example that comes on bracelet.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hey guys.

I was looking at picking up a Tudor Black Bay GMT. I wanted the steel bracelet, but I found a great deal on the Nato version of the watch. I was wondering how easy or costly it would be to get the steel bracelet by itself, especially since I couldn't find many options or answers online for this.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Get it!

The strapcode bracelets for the Blackbay models, fit fine and are very comfortable. The lugs on the GMT are a little different, but it's not noticeable at all on top and really only mildly noticeable underneath. They may even have one that specifically contours to the GMT lugs, but it really isn't necessary. Any of them work very well.

·
Premium Member
68,346 Posts
I’d go for the OEM bracelet - despite the cost. Just try not to groan out loud when you place the order.

·
Premium Member
33,571 Posts
Differently try for an OEM bracelet before looking to the aftermarket. Tudor bracelets are very well made and superior to anything I have seen aftermarket, IMHO.

I see some on eBay now and then and you can also post this request in the "Wanted To Buy" subforum on the Sales site here as another possibility.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Buy the watch with a bracelet. If you decide to resell at a later date it's much easier to find a buyer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh god. I just priced out the Tudor bracelet, which is what I was wanting to go with, and it's going to be $850. :oops:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd love to! And I'm trying! It seems like there's about a $600 - $700 difference between the ones I can find with leather/nato and the steel bracelet.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
A lot of manufacturers (not all) price their watches such that it's far, far cheaper to buy the watch with the metal bracelet than it is to buy it on a strap and decide you want the bracelet after the fact.

For example the bracelet model might be $200 more MSRP. But buying the bracelet separately after the fact might be $1k.

Really scummy pricing practices IMO. And unfortunately, in my experience it leads directly to non-bracelet versions of desirable watches like the GMT just sitting around with no buyers.

Some people will scoop them up thinking "no problem, can just order the bracelet later", then realize their mistake after the fact.

Once you get into higher end manufacturers like Blancpain, JLC, etc usually they are more consistent and fair. If the bracelet would cost you $3000 to order separately, then the bracelet and strap models will be priced with that in mind.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I'd love to! And I'm trying! It seems like there's about a $600 - $700 difference between the ones I can find with leather/nato and the steel bracelet.
That's about right, and the price will always be around that price difference when it's resold.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, for example, I'm able to find a couple nato/leather strap versions in the $3000-$3200 range, but all the metal bracelet versions are closer to $3700-$3800. If I can get the leather version for closer $3000, it might be worth getting the metal bracelet for $850 and having both of my preferred straps. Ultimately, I just wish I could find the metal bracelet version closer to $3400 or so.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Negotiation is your best friend. It doesn't hurt to ask for a discount, preowned watches are a commodity and times for some people are tough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Out of curiosity, is there a reason there are pre-owneds selling for anywhere from $4200-$4800 when the watch is still sold new in stores for $4050?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Out of curiosity, is there a reason there are pre-owneds selling for anywhere from $4200-$4800 when the watch is still sold new in stores for $4050?
In theory, it's a hard watch to get. But I think this also leads to some people getting burned by buying it and thinking they can flip it for a profit. They might have been able to when it was first released, but it's not that hard to get anymore.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Paying a premium for a Tudor is a fools game. Sometimes it's better to wait for the right watch sold by the right seller. You are in the drivers seat, offer what you feel is right and wait for a seller to agree with you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, because these prices are wild when retail is $4050 and I think most local ADs are able to get them. 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts