WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Does any-one here know the story behind the shape of the hour hand on some of the Tudor models, for example the Black Bay.

I have only recently looked at these watches and was wondering.

Cheers.

·
Registered
Lately: Omega Seamaster Professional Divers 300
3,833 Posts
French marines wanted it more visible under water. I think at the time Tudor went square indices and similar square on hour hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must admit it is an odd shape. In truth it does put me off those of their watches that have this hand. Thank goodness none of the other military divers in the world decided they needed the hour hand to be so odd and realized they were able to read their watches underwater without this ugly design. If Tudor offered a better hour hand i would consider their Black Bay Chrono but i would not buy a watch and then swap out the hands when i could look elsewhere. It is a shame but i get the history and having an individual look.

·
Registered
Patek Philippe 5960P, Grand Seiko SBGM221, Rolex 16570 Exp II Polar, Omega Speedmaster FOIS
2,228 Posts
I must admit it is an odd shape. In truth it does put me off those of their watches that have this hand. Thank goodness none of the other military divers in the world decided they needed the hour hand to be so odd and realized they were able to read their watches underwater without this ugly design. If Tudor offered a better hour hand i would consider their Black Bay Chrono but i would not buy a watch and then swap out the hands when i could look elsewhere. It is a shame but i get the history and having an individual look.
Then it wouldn’t be a Black Bay.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The "snowflake" hand is a unique Tudor design feature and very practical, I personally like the design and much prefer it to the more common "Mercedes" or "Lollipop" style hands found on most dive watches from other brands.

If you want some history on Tudor dive watches and the development of the design have a look at the articles below, perhaps then you might gain a little more appreciation:

https://www.revolution.watch/the-tudor-milsub-part-i/
https://www.revolution.watch/the-tudor-milsub-part-ii/
https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guides/the-tudor-snowflake-submariner-collectors-guide
https://magazine.bulangandsons.com/...navy-a-quarter-of-a-century-of-collaboration/

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for the links MadMrB, i will have a read through them. I can guarantee though that i will not gain any appreciation of the ugly hand, it is though interesting to see how things develop.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting reads, it appears that the military asking for more legible hands got these foistered on them. I suspect it was more Tudor using it as a perfect time and excuse to individualise their brand from that of Rolex.

·
Registered
Patek Philippe 5960P, Grand Seiko SBGM221, Rolex 16570 Exp II Polar, Omega Speedmaster FOIS
2,228 Posts
I personally love snowflake hands, it would help BB alot if the the dial dots were also square just like on old Tudor Snowflake subs.
Actually it wouldn’t as the historical watches the BB’s are based on had round markers and the BB’s sell well enough already!! The Pelagos series has rectangular markers which separates the two models visually.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I love snowflake hands, Mercedes hands cathedral,spade etc. In fact the only hand I don’t like on any Rolex/Tudor is the Lightning second hand on the milgauss

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Actually it wouldn’t as the historical watches the BB’s are based on had round markers and the BB’s sell well enough already!! The Pelagos series has rectangular markers which separates the two models visually.

You're right. The only problem with Pelagos is (aside its size and thickness) it looks like a toy watch to me with no reflective bezel, bracelet and AR crystal.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I love snowflake hands, Mercedes hands cathedral,spade etc. In fact the only hand I don’t like on any Rolex/Tudor is the Lightning second hand on the milgauss
Thing is that’s as much a signature of the Milgauss as the snowflake is of the Tudor and the Mercedes is to the Sub et al!! I just bought a black dial non GV MG and love it.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Thing is that’s as much a signature of the Milgauss as the snowflake is of the Tudor and the Mercedes is to the Sub et al!! I just bought a black dial non GV MG and love it.
That’s the great thing about watches, a relatively small detail can have so many different opinions. For example my airking has stick hands and at first glance I struggle sometimes to catch the time straight away which irks me a tad and I’d love to switch those for Mercedes hands. No idea how much that would be though

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The historical watches had round markers, but they also had matching Mercedes hands, so they didn't clash.

Tudor did make a handful of Subs with the snowflake hand and round markers as transitional models around 1977'ish, but I still think square markers with the snowflake hands make the most sense.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
The combination I like best is snowflake hands with triangular 3, 6, 9, 12 and round other hours.

Reactions: ARMADUK

·
Registered
21,045 Posts
French marines wanted it more visible under water. I think at the time Tudor went square indices and similar square on hour hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And here I thought it was just because it looked super cool.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts