WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some may find this sacrilegious, so I would like to start by saying everything that has been done is reversible.

About a year back, I purchased a 74000 Tudor Oysterdate Prince with a white gold bezel and folded jubilee.

Long story short, the watch had the Tudor 2824-1 in it which I swapped out for a Tudor 2824-2. For those who don't know, this movement is a 2824 Top Grade modified by Rolex. Additionally, I added heat blued screws from a Top Grade 2824 I had laying around and a NOS Tudor rotor. Other than that, I replaced the automatic winding mechanism as some of the teeth on the movement I purchased were sheared off.

On the outside, I swapped the bezel out for a white gold 34mm DateJust bezel. It has a slightly different profile than the Tudor bezel, and appears much larger. The crystal was also swapped out for a Sapphire unit, and the caseback was exchanged for an exhibition caseback. As "wrong" as this may seem, the movement is simply beautiful and I just want to look at it!

Lastly, the bracelet was replaced with a brand new replica Jubilee bracelet with solid links. I swapped my original Tudor endlinks and clasp over to this bracelet.

This was all somewhat expensive to do, however I very much enjoy tinkering with all things mechanical, and I have created what is to me the perfect Oysterdate.

Here are some pics, enjoy! Or cringe...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Seiko, Orient, Aragon, Deep Blue, Bulova, Swatch, Gruen Pocket Watch, Illinois Pocket Watch, Vostok
2,773 Posts
I think it looks awesome! And I love an exhibition caseback. Even on an ugly movement. I just like seeing what is underneath making it all work. Great creativity!

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Looks fantastic.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it looks awesome! And I love an exhibition caseback. Even on an ugly movement. I just like seeing what is underneath making it all work. Great creativity!

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk
Thank you! I agree. The movement is what drew me to these particular watches to begin with, so I absolutely want to be able to view it. It is one of the greatest iterations of what could be argued to be one of the most important work horse movements in the watch industry. Pretty cool to me!

·
Registered
Watch Dial Printing
1,354 Posts
Well I agree that it looks great and if it floats your boat then go for it.

Unfortunately it appears that the blued screws appear a bit subdued but I can understand they would be better IRL.

I think the fluted bezel also makes a very good modification.

What I'm curious about though is what else you have "just laying around" because there are some nice elements there.

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
Just the folded links are enough to sell me. The first time I saw one of those on a Orient (and keep in mind, I'm a WIS virgin, relatively speaking) I just about puked. And the owner was so proud!?

I think it's a huge improvement over the original. Form fits function is my game.

Oh, and in before the lock. :roll:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I agree that it looks great and if it floats your boat then go for it.

Unfortunately it appears that the blued screws appear a bit subdued but I can understand they would be better IRL.

I think the fluted bezel also makes a very good modification.

What I'm curious about though is what else you have "just laying around" because there are some nice elements there.
Thank you! Yeah it's my tinkering watch. I certainly have my watches that I will not touch a single thing on as well. Yeah they do in the picture, but they are exceptional in person! Very shiny. Thank you! It had a flutes bezel originally as well, but it has certainly worn down.

Ahhh idk, lots of movements and parts. A ton of Omega vintage stuff at the moment, hacking an old TV Dial to pieces hehe. That 2824-2 Top was purchased from a seller I know of in Switzerland for another watch I was building, and only lived inside of it for a few weeks before coming this watches donor part bin.

Just the folded links are enough to sell me. The first time I saw one of those on a Orient (and keep in mind, I'm a WIS virgin, relatively speaking) I just about puked. And the owner was so proud!?

I think it's a huge improvement over the original. Form fits function is my game.

Oh, and in before the lock. :roll:
Yeah I'm not a huge fan! I will hang on to them for the sake of original parts however. Thank you very much! I appreciate the kind words. Haha I hope not!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts