WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been taking to a gentleman in Texas about purchasing this watch.

Initially I floated the idea at TZ and was informed that Tudor never released a "Red" Ranger. I understand that certain people redial watches to make lesser watches more valuable and thereby dupe their buyers, but I couldn't seem to get an answer on whether this was in fact a Ranger but maybe with a redial?

However further research on the net tells me that whilst genuine Rangers are very rare anyway, they are effectively really not much more than an Oyster Prince with a racy dial (that comment is by someone more learned than me on these watches).

So I am keen to get a simply cased 70's - 80's Tudor with a date as an everyday watch and am after some advice on what I should be chasing that may be less "controversial" to pursue than a Ranger (read there, less likely a target for frakenwatch artists).

Any help greatly appreciated.

zambo

·
Registered
928 Posts
i bought BN and once had a Tudor Prince Date on an Oyster case with an hour & minute hand like that but with a sweep second with an arrowhead end instead of the rectangular end ... its circa mid-90s, kept accurate time and has been passed on to a younger brother starting college then ...

wish i could help but i have never laid hands on a Tudor Ranger to know enough about this "Red" one that you posted. it would really help you decide if you can get this to an AD and have a peek inside the movement to be certain

update us when you do, i would like to know how it turns out. :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
hey, man, how do you post pictures on the message? i'll post you a pic i took of my brothers Prince Date with almost same hour and minute hands as your Ranger

tnx

·
Registered
461 Posts
hey, man, how do you post pictures on the message? i'll post you a pic i took of my brothers Prince Date with almost same hour and minute hands as your Ranger

tnx

OT : open an account with a site that allows uploading of images. I use photobucket.

then just copy and paste the image code of the pic you wanna post.

HTH:-!

·
Registered
145 Posts
It is redialed. I have been looking for an original Ranger. Apparently, it is a "Blue-eyed" Unicorn. I would pass, IMHO and keep looking.

Regards,
Alanlocal80

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nice thread!
So there is no Red Ranger Tudor? I was just about to buy one. This one looks different then yours.
It looks like the submariner with that bezel?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It is redialed. I have been looking for an original Ranger. Apparently, it is a "Blue-eyed" Unicorn. I would pass, IMHO and keep looking.

Regards,
Alanlocal80
Thanks Alan - it seems clear that it isn't correct in terms of the dial but I am wondering if at the right price it is still a good buy because it is a) a Tudor other than that and thus a good reliable watch and b) if I can ascertain it to be a genuine Tudor, figure out which it is (maybe a more run of the mill model) and get a new dial so that it represents what it should be.

Here's a shot of the movement - does this look correct?

If this is a standard oysterdate and I figure its probably a 90's watch, is it OK to ask about a guide to prices out there?

Thanks

zambo

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Nice thread!
So there is no Red Ranger Tudor? I was just about to buy one. This one looks different then yours.
It looks like the submariner with that bezel?

Again, it might be a genuine Tudor Sub but with a redial on it. Again, if the correct dial is available and the watch is correct otherwise, might still be a "buy" ...?

Other movement shots, inner case back pic,etc might help others far more knowledgeable than me help with identifying it as at least a genuine Tudor.

Most Subs appear to have had the screw down crown and lugs around the crown, though the following link will take you to a very informative page showing some early subs with your type of case as well as a whole range of dials and movements.

http://forumamontres.forumactif.com/LES-RUBRIQUES-DE-FORUMAMONTRES-c1/Revues-Videos-Photographies-Fiches-pratiques-f2/Tudor-Submariner-t1013.htm

cheers

zambo

·
Registered
145 Posts
In my opinion, it would not be a good deal. Even if the movement is legit, unless you can source a replacement dial cheaply, the cost to restore the watch to original condition could exceed the watches value. If not in actual dollars, in frustration.

Go to the Timezone site and do a search under "Ranger.
I would give this one a pass.

Regards,
Alanlocal80

·
Registered
594 Posts
it's a redial, I'm no expert, but I've owned a bunch of Tudors and all of them I've seen had oysterdate as one word not with a gap tween the oyster and date. There are more Ranger fakes out there than you could shake a stick at.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The dial shown above has been refinished. The shield appears to have been hand painted, which is not correct for the Tudor shield dials. Also, the S's in Swiss look slightly off -- as though they were hand painted.

However, I disagree with the assertion that there were no original red Tudor Rangers and challenge anyone to prove that theory.

What is the case reference number on the watch being offered? Also, what caliber is the movement?

If you're simply looking for a Tudor with date, the watch to get is the Oysterdate 34. The 34 stands for a 34mm case, so it's not quite the same size as a Rolex Datejust (36mm). However, the OD34's had the best movements and dials (IMO) of any vintage 1950s and 1960s Tudor models. Here are a few examples from my collection:

14k Gold-plated case; Lots of dial patina;
Cyclops probably not original

SS OD34 w/ original eggwhite dial

Original dial often imitated in
so-called "California dialed" watches

Fancy lug; 14k gold-plated;
Honeycomb dial

The Tudor OD34 is, from my experience, always dialed as "Prince Oysterdate 34". All are from the Tudor "rose" era. They always have "Rotor", "Self-winding" on the lower portion of the dial, too. Many (not all) also have the alternating red/black date wheel. VERY cool pieces!

·
Registered
928 Posts
if you're after a dress-sports watch that does not look big. can be worn on formal and down to diving activities, try to get a Tudor mini-Sub, they are mid-size and won't be too big that it gets stuck in your shirt cuff but still have that Sub hands, great lume, 200m WR and dive bezel,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts