WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm looking at this piece of excellent 7928 offered by a seller and need your help to see if there's anything i shd be wary of ... the price seems to good to miss at abt US$3900. So, need your expert opinion on this ... thanks! :-!

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Hi -

First of all, welcome to WUS and our community. I hope we can help you with your watch questions...

I'm moving this to the Rolex forum, which will be able to give you much better advice on this particular watch.

JohnF

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John, thanks for the warm welcome and directing my thread to the appropriate folder. Cheers!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can you post some lug-shots?

From what I can see, it appears the dial and hands may have been touched-up. It also looks as if the bezel and pearl have been replaced. Can you provide a case back scan from another angle? I cannot see the markings for the quarter and year of manufacture (i.e. III 66). Still, my opinion is that it is at least $2K too high. If it is a safe-queen and all original, that's a different story. However the noticable lug-wear may preclude that. I would need more details to provide a better opinion.

Best Regards to all,
Alan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Can you post some lug-shots?

Hi Alan

Thanks for the feedback. Here are some shots of the ser # and case #

Could you tell from there? Got a friend mentioned that the number "9" looks a little suspect though ... looked like it was engraved 'hands-free'. :-s

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can you give me a better detailed shot of the dial and case back?

The font of the "9"s look fine to me. I need to see the case back markings to compare them date-range wise with the serial number, though. How is the seller presenting it? All original or restored? The bezel insert and pearl for sure do not look original to that watch. Dial and Hands are possibly retouched. Need to see more details.

I just can't see $3900, even in unrestored condition, original dial and hands, with the original movement, a real 7206 bracelet and a spare cal. 390. I have a 7928 just like it and I wish it was worth $3900.

Perhaps with more scans, others will be able to chime in. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Alan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Re: Can you give me a better detailed shot of the dial and case back?

Hi Alan

OK, here is how the seller describes it .. in his own words:

Tudor Submariner Reference 7928 Circa 1960's 200 metres Automatic Divers Watch Original Oyster Case By Rolex Geneva fitted with Rolex Winding Crown. Case #569358 Tudor Movement calibre 390 This watch is in as good as it gets condition. Dial is 10 out 10. Case is 8.5 out of 10. Original not polished with factory sharp edging. Has small engraving in the middle of the case back ("Lawrence") so for all the Lawrence's out there - this may be the watch for you! It can be removed quite easily however, by a skillful jeweler, but I don't think it's necessary. Bezel is very tight and sharp. Bezel insert is in near mint condition. Watch has been recently serviced and keeping good time. The watch currently is fitted with a military type nylon black strap. These early Tudor Submariners ref 7928 are becoming quite rare and collectible, so here is an opportunity for a collector to gain a piece in excellent condition.
Thanks for the deep insights to your thoughts .... here's the pics on the casebacks:

Does the pics above help?

So if you're looking to sell your's...how much will you be willing to let go?

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
The price on these has been going up way past what I think they are worth lately. For $3900 you can easily get a Rolex no-date Sub or a Sub with date or even a Seadweller if you look around. Any of them are a much more reliable watch with a far superior movement.

Unless you are really in love with the vintage I would pass on this one.

Rolex will not work on it if you need service, parts are scarce for the 390 movement and you will need to find a competant, willing watchmaker eventually to fix it.

I had this one and loved the vintage look of but the 390 movement was a service nightmare.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I remember that watch being offered on the 'Bay, recently.

I cannot locate the link, but remember the case back engraving. The scans still do not show the quarter and year markings clearly, but mine is within the serial number range. If you can send me the link, via PM, I will look at it more closely. It would violate Forum Policy to post an active Auction link.

My opinion is that the seller is still about $2K too high. I say this because a 42-year old watch does not look like that. It looks great, but restoration and parts replacement may have actually lessened its value to a collector. That being said, the value of the Tudor Subs, and the 7928 in particular is seemingly sky-rocketing. A Tudor Sub with an ETA movement that would have sold for $800 a few years ago, is worth almost $2K. The 7928 came only with the FEF Cal. 390 and is worth even more, in pristine condition. Sourcing parts for the Auto-winder will be the problem.

I inherited mine from my Dad, after his passing. He retired from ACU-2 Little Creek, in '76. About 4-years ago, my Mom dug it out of a drawer and asked me if I wanted it. She said "It doesn't run, but if you pick it up and shake it, it runs for a while." I said "Thank You." After I had it examined at the Rolex SC and authenticated, I told my Mom that it was quite valuable. She got a really sad look on her face and said she had tossed 2 others out in the trash. I responded with my best "Poker-face", that it was a nice watch and it kept good time. No sense in getting upset. She could just as easily thrown the third one out also. I was fortunate enough to have this one. For a few years, it was my daily wearer, but after 2-tours of Vietnam, it had developed a drinking problem. I am awaiting its return from Rehab. I sent it to [email protected], along with a spare cal. 390 I had bought, just in case.

I will hang onto this one for a while. The way these are going up in value, I figure I will be able to trade it and the spare cal. 390 for a used, head-only 14060M, in about 5-years. Maybe less, at this point. Dad said to never fall in love with something that can't hug you back.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting, but I would pass on this one.
Best Regards,
Alan

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Id pass

I dont like the green tint from the re-lume, it should be white to match the print on dial. Also dont like the 'pearl' on bezel insert, fake inserts are a dime a dozen.

And the price is way to high, I search Tudor quite alot on the bay and know you can do better. It may be good to get a old rose Tudor and get it relumed..........and only giving you a black zulu srap, thats cheap.

really this is just an excuse for me to post a pic of my Tudor from the old man

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! This is an absolute beauty!!! Am drooling while admiring it ... anyway, you're right on the price and what u mention makes lot of sense ... :) I guess its better for me to pass this opportunity to own a 7928 for now ... sigh ...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: I remember that watch being offered on the 'Bay, recently.

Hey Alan

Thanks for the deep insights and your personal experiences ... and yes, it was on the Bay for awhile ... but snapped up by someone ... but i think he turned it down for some reason or another and the seller contacted me to see whether i'm interested... hence this posting.

After seeing all the feedbacks from all of you ... i'm heartened to know i didn't make the decision to purchase it ... eventhough its a really beautiful watch! :-!

I guess i'll be patient and just look around ... to see if there's any that i can find in the thrash bins ... :-d ... but seriously .... those 2 watches ... whoever found them ... are DAMN lucky!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow! Almost in pristine condition!!!! Great watch and thanks for your thoughts! I'll pass it after careful consideration of other brothers in the forum said .... cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts