WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I received this Tudor submariner 79090 watch case today and wanted to check its authenticity. It looks polished but I'm not an expert on these cases and dont know what to look for. I would really appreciate it if someone with more knowledge was able to verify its authenticity. Thanks for reading this hope to hear from everyone soon!

Imgur link:

·
Registered
18,326 Posts
You had posted this in the fake busters section and the reason no one responded because it is such a poor picture and no one can tell it’s authenticity from a mid case.

Yeah, not really sure how anyone can verify an authenticity from those pictures except that what I see is a watch mid case that is overly polished till the lugs are unevenly thin. Besides, it’s got a big glob of contact cement glue where the seat of the bezel is.

Maybe try to clean it up properly and take good and clear pictures and post them using the interface from this forum platform rather than imgur?

By the way, are you by chance trying to assemble a Tudor Sub from parts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You had posted this in the fake busters section and the reason no one responded because it is such a poor picture and no one can tell it’s authenticity from a mid case.

Yeah, not really sure how anyone can verify an authenticity from those pictures except that what I see is a watch mid case that is overly polished till the lugs are unevenly thin. Besides, it’s got a big glob of contact cement glue where the seat of the bezel is.

Maybe try to clean it up properly and take good and clear pictures and post them using the interface from this forum platform rather than imgur?

By the way, are you by chance trying to assemble a Tudor Sub from parts?
Took the pictures on my phone. That stuff isnt cement it's some sort of ruber ring. I wasnt sure if it was some sort of gasket for the bezel assembly so I didn't remove it. Taking it off might make it so I'm unable to return the item.

I can try to get better lighting later tonight. I'm trying to make a beater from parts to wear casually at work.

·
Registered
18,326 Posts
Took the pictures on my phone. That stuff isnt cement it's some sort of ruber ring. I wasnt sure if it was some sort of gasket for the bezel assembly so I didn't remove it. Taking it off might make it so I'm unable to return the item.

I can try to get better lighting later tonight. I'm trying to make a beater from parts to wear casually at work.
This is where my skills and knowledge of an older Tudor watch stops. I hope that someone who is a watchmaker and has worked on older Tudors may chime in and give you the answers you seek. Honestly, I don't think there is a rubber gasket but if there was one, it would be like an O-ring in a recess.

Here is a exploded view of a Rolex oyster case of a more recent model. You should be able to search for one in the Internet for your specific model.

·
Registered
18,326 Posts

By the way, how much did you pay for this mid case? I recall seeing your original post and it was over a thousand dollars. Would seem to be a lot of money to buy an authentic one just to assemble a beater watch with parts sourced from all over. Since the final product is not going anywhere near an authentic piece, you could have just bought cheap third party watch parts from online retailers that sell empty cases, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is where my skills and knowledge of an older Tudor watch stops. I hope that someone who is a watchmaker and has worked on older Tudors may chime in and give you the answers you seek. Honestly, I don't think there is a rubber gasket but if there was one, it would be like an O-ring in a recess.

Here is a exploded view of a Rolex oyster case of a more recent model. You should be able to search for one in the Internet for your specific model.

View attachment 15326563
Thanks for the diagram pretty helpful. Unfortunately I cant find any exploded view diagrams of the 79090 case. I've tried searching "tudor prince oysterdate submariner 79090 diagram" and other terms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way, how much did you pay for this mid case? I recall seeing your original post and it was over a thousand dollars. Would seem to be a lot of money to buy an authentic one just to assemble a beater watch with parts sourced from all over. Since the final product is not going anywhere near an authentic piece, you could have just bought cheap third party watch parts from online retailers that sell empty cases, etc.
It ended up being about $1000. I dont want to just have a fully third party watch I might as well be wearing a fake at that point. A Franken wont be worth as much as a original but it will be real and I can wear it as a beater

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I know you didn't ask for advice, but here it goes:
Unlike that guy in the Johnny Cash song you don't seem to work in the Tudor factory, so I don't think this project has a good chance of working out to your satisfaction.
Unless you can find a beater Tudor with a rusted out case, there will always be some missing parts that you end up paying new dollars for.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know you didn't ask for advice, but here it goes:
Unlike that guy in the Johnny Cash song you don't seem to work in the Tudor factory, so I don't think this project has a good chance of working out to your satisfaction.
Unless you can find a beater Tudor with a rusted out case, there will always be some missing parts that you end up paying new dollars for.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.
I appreciate your opinion. I'm fine with a few parts being aftermarket untill I can find original parts. I'll probably have to fo so with the caseback. I just dont want to have a fully aftermarket watch because then what's the point

·
Registered
18,326 Posts
I appreciate your opinion. I'm fine with a few parts being aftermarket untill I can find original parts. I'll probably have to fo so with the caseback. I just dont want to have a fully aftermarket watch because then what's the point
Okay. Now i get the whole picture of what you’re trying to do. I can tell you that in the end, you will spend at least 50% more than if you just bought yourself a complete watch.

Others who have walked this path will tell you that is going to become the most expensive beater watch that you are going to build.

If you’re doing this for a hobby and the learning along the way, then it is okay. But do understand the frustration and cost involved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts