WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased a Tudor Submariner 79090 and the lume is completely dead. I think my watch is 88-91 according to Rolex customer service dept. Just wondering if most of the Tudors on this forum are also dead. I was wondering if anyone has had their dial relumed or dose it take away from the vintage status any comments? If anyone has gotten their dial relumed could you take a picture and post it and also where it was done. Is that something Rolex service center would do.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Send in your watch to Rolex USA servicing in either Dallas, NYC or at the Authorized Service Centers in San Francisco or Chicago and you'll be given the option for a new dial and hand set...all with luminova rather than the Tritium you've got now. It will cost extra on top of the servicing, and you'll also have to deal with Rolex USA refusing to work on your watch with a modified bracelet, so be sure to remove it before sending it in and they'll also quote an outragious price to replace that.

Reluming a dial can be done, but there are very few skilled people who can accomplish the goal without the dial coming back looking like a bad lume job. You can also seek out a good dial refinisher who will re-do the dial and lume, also with Luminova because Tritium isn't used any more.

But, when you begin the discussion about replacing a dial, even with factory replacements from Rolex, you'll ignite the discussion about diminishing the value of the watch for the purists who feel that any updating will destroy the integrity of the watch as a total piece, and thus destroy the future value as a collector's watch.

I personally don't subscribe to that for watches like the Tudor sub from the 80's and 90's. They're great watches, and their values have held up to some degree as the scarcity increases, but thinking that you're going to fund your retirement and your kids education with that particular watch is faulty logic, in my opinion. I fall into the camp that says if you want a watch to function with good timekeeping and glow in the dark lume, and it's not some rare, vintage specimin, then you should let the watch get updated with factory parts and let the watch do all it can do. I'm one of those who just doesn't see the utilitarian value in a scruffy watch with yellow, crusty and faded lume and hands that have crumbling lume.

But others will chime in with their opinions and you'll have to be the ultimate judge of where you want to take your new timepiece.

·
Banned
1,219 Posts
if you purchased it as a vintage piece the question is did you pay a vintage premium?
If thats the case and you are not going to make it a daily wear then you will not be doing the watch any favours by replacing/reluming.

if however you got it to be a daily functional watch and you intend to keep it for some time then yes i would get a new dial/hands replaced and use the watch accordingly.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey great advise. Yes I did buy the watch for a daily ware and I bought it at a very good price lots of room for service and maybe dial work and hands. Does Rolex service centers still work on the Tudor Subs I wonder because of the Swatch Group ETA delema. I don't think the watch has ever been serviced. Right now it keeping very good time -+ 4-5 sec Maybe I should wait for service? and decide on the dial. I agree with keeping the watch all original but on the other hand I love the lume.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Yes, Rolex Service Centers will work on Tudor watches. There's no Swatch Group ETA dilemma w/ Rolex-Tudor. Swatch will continue to provide ebauches to Rolex/ Tudor because they've had a long relationship and Rolex makes their own movements. Swatch has decided, however, to stop selling to brands who do not make any of their own movements.

Personally I'd keep the Tudor Sub as is. Your milage may vary.
Congrats on finding a classic Sub.
dP

·
Registered
39 Posts
Send it on to Rolex for a redial service. Nice choice for a daily watch, I used to have a Tudor sub back in the late 90s and absolutely fell in love with the watch. That's what made me buy my first sub.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Ive been bitten by the Rolex bug could be fatal! I would love to have a GMT Sub with Pepsi Bezel.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I wont have it just relumed, rather buy a new dail at Rolex and keep the original so that when u do sell it u can offer the buyer thd option of original dail of new one

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I wont have it just relumed, rather buy a new dail at Rolex and keep the original so that when u do sell it u can offer the buyer thd option of original dail of new one
I love it when threads get resurrected, especially when they originated with a forum member who just announced a 'birth announcement' of yet another Tudor Sub.

Things may be different in the Rolex world in South Africa, but here in the USA, Rolex refuses to return parts after a servicing, so when Rolex swaps a dial, the old one is considered a 'trade in' and disappears into the bowels of Rolex spare parts. Same with hands. There have been stories of some lucky GMT owners who manage to salvage their bezel inserts after replacement with either the same or different colored insert, but that's about it. And independent shops here that have limited access to the parts line are bound by the same rules.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I love it when threads get resurrected, especially when they originated with a forum member who just announced a 'birth announcement' of yet another Tudor Sub.

Things may be different in the Rolex world in South Africa, but here in the USA, Rolex refuses to return parts after a servicing, so when Rolex swaps a dial, the old one is considered a 'trade in' and disappears into the bowels of Rolex spare parts. Same with hands. There have been stories of some lucky GMT owners who manage to salvage their bezel inserts after replacement with either the same or different colored insert, but that's about it. And independent shops here that have limited access to the parts line are bound by the same rules.

Well to be honest I have never had a Tudor long enough for it to go for a service so wouldn't know how they opperate :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts