WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

The hour hand on my new Tuna is about 3 min off, lagging ever so slightly behind the minute hand. It's not a trainsmash at all, but it would do lovely things to my OCD to have them aligned properly (something I really appreciate about my Nomos).

Given that I'm in Africa, so there's no easy 'sending the watch back', I'm considering having a watchmaker do this for me. Is this a slamdunk for a competent watchmaker? Or am I risking a runaround finding replacement hands because there's a decent risk of screwing this up despite best intentions? I understand you can only uninstall/reinstall hands a few times.

What say you modders?

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Apparently, Seiko has two reps in all of Africa and one of them is in South Africa. I would consult with them first, to see if they could fix it under warranty or at all.

Here's the contact info:

Africa

Egypt

El Araby Co., For Trade and Agencies
EL ARABY BUILDING
6 EL BATRAN STR - El Abbassia INDUSTRIAL ZONE
P.O. BOX 1224 ,CAIRO 11511 - EGYPT
Tel: (002 02)25472012
E-mail: [email protected]

South Africa

Treger Brands (Pty) Ltd
154 6th Street, Wynberg, Sandton, 2090, South Africa
Postal Address: PO Box 104, Wendywood, 2144, South Africa
Tel: +27 (11) 089 6000
Fax: +27 86 719 8665
E-mail:[email protected]

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, Airwatch, I will check with them.

If they are like Citizen, though, they outsource repair to a local facility here in Cape Town that I have had the misfortune of sending a watch to before with the result that they lost a part and ultimately couldn't replace it and left me hanging. To be honest if that's the case I'll rather take it to a reputable watchmaker on my own dime :).

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
If you take it to your own reputable watchmaker, you should be alright. They should be plenty skilled at removing the caseback, pulling the stem and removing the movement to pull and reset the hour hand. The movement uses standard seiko sizes, so even worst case scenario of getting the hour hand jacked up, you should be able to find a replacement.

·
Premium Member
64,092 Posts
I don't see why this should be a big deal for a competent watchmaker. Regardless of who you send it to take photos of it before hand so that if they do make a mess you have something to refer back to and they can't claim that it was already like that.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
I don't see why this should be a big deal for a competent watchmaker. Regardless of who you send it to take photos of it before hand so that if they do make a mess you have something to refer back to and they can't claim that it was already like that.
The big deal is not the task itself but rather finding a "competent watchmaker" that can pull it off without a hitch. Numerous horror stories and a few personal experiences have taught me well to put up with minor irregularities that I cannot correct myself rather than risking it at the hands of supposed expert repair personnel who almost always manage to muck up the works one way or another.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, this is kinda my concern. I think I can find a decent matchmaker - my father in law is a retired watchmaker who knows the local industry inside and out, but he's too old now to do such fine motor work himself. On the other hand you can only notice it on the hour, and then only barely. It would have to be a slamdunk kinda thing to be compelling.

Guess I can find said watchmaker and ask him or her :).

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a brand new tuna sbbn015 with the same problem. 3-4 minutes off hour hand. I hate this fact. Mine is produced january 2014 serial number 262, hence casebacknumber 410262. Could I ask if your serialnumber starts on 41 as well? Probably a quality control issue. I will open mine and remove hands and reset them myself. Have done it several times on 7s26 watches, and I have the tools. Can not live with the misalignment. It is some slack in hour hand when setting the watch. Moving hands backwards with crown shows perfectly aligned hands. Moving hands forward, hour hand lags 3minutes.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Pic of hour hand, finally aligning 3-4 minutes after the hour. I will reset this in the weekend.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, you nailed it - my s/n is less than 200 off from yours. Please update this post with your hand resetting results and any tips!

I have a brand new tuna sbbn015 with the same problem. 3-4 minutes off hour hand. I hate this fact. Mine is produced january 2014 serial number 262, hence casebacknumber 410262. Could I ask if your serialnumber starts on 41 as well? Probably a quality control issue. I will open mine and remove hands and reset them myself. Have done it several times on 7s26 watches, and I have the tools. Can not live with the misalignment. It is some slack in hour hand when setting the watch. Moving hands backwards with crown shows perfectly aligned hands. Moving hands forward, hour hand lags 3minutes.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I'd probably try to do it myself with $15 in tools.

I dont think its incredibly hard to do if youve messed with the insides of watches before.

But lets say you completely mess the internals up which is kind of hard to do...i cant find any replacement movements....

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts

Did mine. The press tool to reseat hour hand did not havebig enough adapter: solution used a cut off q-tip . The qtip is hollow plasic tube in correct diameter. I also moved the hour hand so much that day and date change happens after midninght. Original my daydate started to change 22:45. And that irritated me. No it is no change before 24:00.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts