WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just decided to put my newly sapphired up Tuna on an Isofrane or NATO for the summer. After preparing myself for the usual half hour of cursing, I had the bracelet off and strap on in 3 minutes.

WOW!

So, from a strap change standpoint (certainly not from this standpoint alone) I can't say enough about the Tuna.

But it did get me wondering just a bit. Does ease of release mean lack of security for these springbars? Has anyone had these pop off on them. They're thick and solid looking, but if they pop out it won't matter much.

Anyway, just curious! :)

OK, seriously, how can you NOT love this watch?

Deacon

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Looks great! I have the exact same watch (SBBN015) and also sent it off for a sapphire upgrade, it should be back by the end of the week! Seeing how good yours looks with sapphire has me excited! Can't wait to get it back, I wore it for 2 weeks before sending it off and had TWO good sized scratches (3 to 5mm) in the hardlex crystal! Hardlex my a$$! Scratch-ex is more like it! HaHa

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ranger!

I have to tell you, you will love it! It's sooooo much clearer than the Hardlex, plus I love the AR.

The guy who I bought mine from probably only had it two weeks and had scratched his as well. For the $59 bucks the sapphire cost me, I don't quite understand why Seiko doesn't put them on all their Tunas. But maybe it is still more shatter resistant...I just never had one shatter.

Sounds like either no one has ever had a problem with the springbars, or I need to bling up my thread title a bit! LOL!

Deacon

·
6,887 Posts
Congrats on the Tuna!

IMHO the AR sapphire upgrade is a must on the Tunas.....really makes the dial "pop" :) I did the sapphire on my 007 Tuna a few years back and
it really made a difference. When I order my 015 I'll be ordering a sapphire for it and my Marine Master!

The Isofane is another must have on any Tuna as well. Awesome combo :)

Enjoy your Tuna!!!

Cheers
Shannon

Edit: BTW the spring bars are as tough as they get. I've been surfing for 35+ years with Seiko divers and NEVER had a spring bar fail :)

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
OK, I'm convinced.

Where do I send my Tuna to get a sapphire crystal fitted?

TIA

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys!

I got the crystal from Yobokies and Jack at IWW did the work. Both great guys to work with.

Spring, I can't think of a better endorsement. Thanks.

Deacon

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Thanks guys!

I got the crystal from Yobokies and Jack at IWW did the work. Both great guys to work with.

Spring, I can't think of a better endorsement. Thanks.

Deacon
Thanks for the info...and yours looks great!! I'm looking at getting the sbbn015 next month and I would like to make the Sapphire upgrade. I've had work done by both Yobokies and Jack and I agree that they are both great. I'm curious how much your shipping costs were from Jack and back to you. Did you have the watch insured both ways for full value (apprx. 1K)?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't quite remember how much it cost to ship, but it was only about $20 IIRC. Jack's price included shipping back and was ridiculously reasonable compared to how much I usually have to spend when walking into a watchmaker's shop.

Heck, I've paid more for a bezel insert replacement (an improper one BTW) from a DC shop than I did to have Jack crack the case, fit the crystal, and all the rest!

I'm not sure what the difference is to ship the watch to Yobokies, but my experience with international shipping has been that it costs an arm and a leg.

Whatever you decide, these guys are both class acts and very reasonable.

Deacon

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
My sapphire crystal came from Yobokies and Jay @ MCWW did the swap, the crystal was $58 and the work and shipping from Jay was $42. The $42 bucks include the return shipping w/ins. of $1000 which added almost $8 to the total. (But better safe than sorry)

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I can't quite remember how much it cost to ship, but it was only about $20 IIRC. Jack's price included shipping back and was ridiculously reasonable compared to how much I usually have to spend when walking into a watchmaker's shop.

Heck, I've paid more for a bezel insert replacement (an improper one BTW) from a DC shop than I did to have Jack crack the case, fit the crystal, and all the rest!

I'm not sure what the difference is to ship the watch to Yobokies, but my experience with international shipping has been that it costs an arm and a leg.

Whatever you decide, these guys are both class acts and very reasonable.

Deacon
My sapphire crystal came from Yobokies and Jay @ MCWW did the swap, the crystal was $58 and the work and shipping from Jay was $42. The $42 bucks include the return shipping w/ins. of $1000 which added almost $8 to the total. (But better safe than sorry)
Thanks Guys. I agree on paying the bit extra for insurance. I can't imagine something happening to a $1K timepiece and just being out of luck.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Thinly about it... no one has ever mentioned a "seiko fat bar fail" situation... those mother effers are not coming off

·
Registered
459 Posts
In my opinion, the factor that contributes most to the fat bars not coming off is the shoulderless design - when worn with a resin or nylon strap, as divers often are - there is simply nothing for the soft strap material to grab onto when being pulled at an angle.

Especially NATO straps like to bite into standard springbar shoulders and just make them pop off (consider that NATOs were designed for fixed bar cases!), which just won't happen with Seiko fat bars.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really love the shoulderless design. It was crazy easy to change out that strap. The thing that made me wonder a bit was how firmly the Iso was on those bars. No sliding allowed!

But, it's good to hear those with more Seiko experience than I do, say they have never heard of one popping off. :)

Deacon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts