WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
The Tuna is a serious piece of hardware with the history and pedigree to back it up. It was the result of an entire development team trying to fix a rather challenging problem. The 7C46 is rugged, yet refined, and was purpose built for the watch. Not many timepieces have this complete top to bottom integration of all components. Watching the second hand hammer its way around the dial is something to behold.

Enough with the whimsy. I know I will never need anything that the Tuna provides, especially since I am a mostly unexciting office worker, but it is nice having it strapped to your wrist.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Wow, so many responses. You guys really are selling it and after having acquired so many watches this year, that's not a good thing :). I am yet to see one in the flesh but do agree it is very unique looking. I have the Blumo, sawtooth, monster and 009. Tuna is the logical addition. How does it wear in comparison to the sawtooth? Are all the all the watches in the Tuna range, the same size?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Among the shrouded Seikos I've had a baby tuna first, the sawtooth second and I just sold it to get the tuna.
I now have this one, the 017 on a bracelet, purchased here on WUS.

Honestly, it's no contest, the tuna is much better finished, has higher grade movement (this is what watch-savvy people say, I have not looked into any), and to keep it short, I would not overcomplicate simple things: it is just plain better in any way you look at it.

Measurement wise, the sawtooth and the 017 are the same, but the tuna wears smaller because the bracelet attaches under the shroud.

No, all tunas are not the same size: 015 and 017 are the same (very big), Darth (black quartz one) is bigger, emperor (black auto) is the biggest.

People will tell you they wear smaller than they measure: it is true, but still the smallest ones (017-015) are 48mm wide.
They look good on my 6.75 wrist but gigantic-good.
I would NEVER consider the Darth and the emperor (on my wrists) would look like a wall clock.
Hope this helps, I can provide pics tomorrow if needed, also in comparison with other watches (ie the nighthawk so you have a reference)

·
2,176 Posts
A while ago I read a piece written by the guys son who created the Tuna. The design for the Tuna was based on a Fujitsubo or barnacle in English. It was very cool to get insight into the design element behind this iconic watch. So long story short, barnacles take a lot of abuse and still protect the animal inside so that was the thinking behind the watch. Paraphrasing like heck here so forgive me, no disrespect to the original article.

Regards,

Ren

My 600m Historical

DSCN1110 by 2500M_Sub, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Great responses and a tonne of historical info. This is trouble I think I am wanting one. I may have to sell in order to get one (something I did not want to do). Thank you for all the input. What is the most sought after of the modern tunas? silly question but can they worn as a dressy diver or limited to being a tool watch?

·
Registered
293 Posts
The design for the Tuna was based on a Fujitsubo or barnacle in English.
Yes! I wanted to mention that. Some had mistakenly thought that the shroud design was based on boxing headgear. Not a bad guess, I'd say.

Also, the impetus behind coming up with the design is inspiring. To also paraphrase, Seiko was on a high coming out of its participation in the Tokyo Olympics, when a Japanese professional saturation diver wrote a complaint letter to Seiko stating that its diver watches let in helium and aren't shock resistant enough.

Seiko reeled and responded by not releasing any new diver designs for, I think, 7 years.

When they did, it was the Tuna.

In an industry where the players often borrow design cues from one another, the Tuna stands in a very unique place to me.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I started this long and windy road of watch collecting about 5 years ago, it all started when I was looking for a new buckle when I realized there was a whole big world of watches out there in internet land. As a younger man I had always liked divers and always knew I would get me one some day, so in time I got a lot... mostly Japanese. After a while I got a bit sick of having to decide which watch I wanted to wear on that day and felt that I had to have just one watch that represented the quintessential Japanese dive watch watch. I also thought that would free up some funds to play around with some Swiss divers.

I know that "Seiko" is much more than just quartz and divers, they have excellent auto movements, chronographs, dress watches ... the list goes on, but to me it's all about their divers watches. The Tuna is the model that is in no way a copy or homage of anything before it. It is it's own thing. Seiko was the first to put a quartz movement in a wrist watch and the first to put a quartz movement in a Divers watch (as in my Golden Tuna), also first titanium diver's watch (the 600m before it). It has a shroud which serves a purpose other than looking cool. It has awesome lume and readability. It is as classic and original as any Omega/Rolex/Blancpain etc. It has 22mm lugs and they look awesome on almost any type of bracelet or strap... they are almost chameleon like.

My first Tuna was the Golden Tuna 7549-7009, I fell in love with it the moment I opened the box it came in! The second one was the sbbn015, it's a more usable size and style for day to day. Both these will stay in my collection, if fact I often feel I should sell my Swiss divers and just put all my funds into Tunas as I could never get bored with such a collection. Here's a pic I took of my Tunas when I still had the MM300, I bought the MM after I bought the 015 because I was still looking for "the" Seiko diver... then I realised I already had "the" Seiko diver. Don't get me wrong... the Marinemaster is a fantastic watch, and so was my 6105-8110 but to me Seiko= Tuna |>

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

·
Registered
46 Posts
A while ago I read a piece written by the guys son who created the Tuna. The design for the Tuna was based on a Fujitsubo or barnacle in English. It was very cool to get insight into the design element behind this iconic watch. So long story short, barnacles take a lot of abuse and still protect the animal inside so that was the thinking behind the watch. Paraphrasing like heck here so forgive me, no disrespect to the original article.

Regards,

Ren
Very interesting! Here's the source:

Seiko & Citizen Forum: True beauties hidden in the outside shroud of Prospex. (Scan)

21 - 40 of 84 Posts