WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start anything, let me point out that I just turned 24 and live on my own in Southern California, and am engaged, so my budget isn't quite where it will be (hopefully) one day soon. But, for now, here is where I am,

I started out with my Oris TT1 Day/Date three years ago. I wore it for over a year before I realized I just needed a second option. That's when I came across the Tag Carrera and fell in love with the design. I know they are very similar, but the Carrera draws much more attention and is much lighter and slimmer, while I feel the Oris is more of a true "automatic" style watch. It was just about one year ago from now that I saw the Hamilton Open Heart at my favorite shop and had to talk them down low enough to justify it. I love havign one black face in my collection, the company history is amazing, and it draws "oooh" and "aaaah!" from people who know nothing about watches, but like the skeleton view.

The funny purchase was last week with my fiance at Nordstrom Rack, buying jeans. She found a Kenneth Cole watch she thought was "neat". I looked it over and it's a great looking automatic with a semi-skeleton view. Originally just under $200 on sale for $49. The movement isn't supposed to be horrible from what I've read. In any case, I love the look and having a leather strap in the collection- and one which I can beat on and not feel *too* badly about.

So, down to the bottom line.
Tomorrow I'm going to my watch boutique (bought all 3 high-end watches there, plus 3 Mont Blanc pens for work- amazing discounts). I am either considering a mid-price simplistic watch such as a Hamilton or Tissot with a brown strap/theme to match more of my casual clothes, or an entry-level watch into one of the more prestigious brands. At the moment, there is a Day/Date Movado Automatic with black leather strap (I believe 42mm) that I could have for $595 OTD. Also, I've been watching at the basic Tag black face Link since I first got my Carrera. That would stretch my budget pre-wedding, but is still within my means at the moment.

Here are two pictures of my current collection. Thankfully I have a nice winder with room for two more pieces, which can be set either clockwise, counter, or alternating- so I never have to worry about that. Best $200 my collection has ever seen. :-!

Below are two pictures of my current collection. Give me some feedback on what I need to fill into my collection tomorrow. Mind you their main brands are Oris, Tag, Hamilton, Tissot, Swiss Army, some Movado, and a few hit and miss pieces from other brands. :thanks

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
You've got mostly what I would call a dress watch collection. You could look into a pilot or dive watch style, or maybe a chronograph if you like them.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Nice Carrera. It is my fav watch in my collection.

You are like me...very simple designs get me going.

On my list is an Archimede Pilot. You may want to look into those :-!

·
Registered
118 Posts
You've got mostly what I would call a dress watch collection. You could look into a pilot or dive watch style, or maybe a chronograph if you like them.
I agree. I actually just started myself, and of those brands listed - I like Oris' aviation collection. I have my eye out for a Swiss Hunter, but have been wanting a BC Pointer Day. Hamilton's Khaki collection also has some nice military/aviation watches that use ETA movements.

·
Banned
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice Carrera. It is my fav watch in my collection.

You are like me...very simple designs get me going.

On my list is an Archimede Pilot. You may want to look into those :-!
I just looked at the 45mm automatic pilot- it might be my new favorite design in a reasonably priced watch. It's amazing how inexpensive they are even with the conversion from euros to dollars. :-!

I haven't heard of the brand until just now though- where do they usually get grouped in the hierarchy of brands?

·
Registered
342 Posts
How about a Hamilton Khaki Officer? I love these for a "casual" watch and plan to have one in the not too distant future...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I just looked at the 45mm automatic pilot- it might be my new favorite design in a reasonably priced watch. It's amazing how inexpensive they are even with the conversion from euros to dollars. :-!

I haven't heard of the brand until just now though- where do they usually get grouped in the hierarchy of brands?
You will find that there are thousands of brands

Some of the best ones nobody outside the WIS world know about.

Archimede is a very good German watch company

A few similar companies are Stowa and Laco. Stowa probably being the best of the 3.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
How about a Hamilton Khaki Officer? I love these for a "casual" watch and plan to have one in the not too distant future...
Very nice watches indeed - will only fit if you have larger wrists though. They offer the Hamilton Khaki which is similar in a 42 mm. From your collection, it seems like white / silver dominates. Maybe you want a black dial to round things out. Stowa offers some amazing mil / pil / observation style watches at reasonable prices. Oris & Tag also make some nice divers. Good luck, and let us know how it goes :-!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Very nice ... Love the winder!

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Did you ever give any thought to an on-line purchase rather than your local boutique...

or even a used watch purchased from the sales forum here?

·
Banned
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really appreciate the input all of you gave me. I'll try to respond to as much of it as possible, and also show you what I picked up.

The reason behind visiting the same boutique for every purchase is a personal connection with the owner, who always helps me. I only pay between 55% and 65% of retail price on a given watch. They carry many brands, from Swiss Army to Ulysses Nardin, but only have a handful of each brand on hand- I could order anything I liked, but it would be another 10-15%.

So, with that in mind, I liked the Hamiltons shown here. There was a limited edition piece having to do with Harrison Ford's charity work, keeping time in each country the charity was doing work in. It was stunning, but I've never been a fan of multiple time zones, and it was a little pricey for a Khaki.

Next I walked over and looked at the Tag Heuer watches, even though I knew they 1) were a little more than I wanted to spend for a random purchase and 2) not anything like the brown look I wanted for certain outfits. Was silly enough to try on the Link again. Thankfully my fiance pulled me away and reminded me my birthday was coming up. (Not likely, but got the idea out of my head of splurging).

Anyway, after all was said and done, I purchased a Hamilton American Classic Jazzmaster Square. It came at a shockingly low price OTD (half what I intended to spend)- and seemed to fit my look the best. I'm a bigger guy, about 6'3- so even being skinny I love when a larger face works for me. I took a picture next to my Carrera so you can see how much larger it "looks" despite being nearly the same size. Very happy with the purchase! Now I just have to figure out what high-end watch I want to round out the sixth spot. I still have a soft spot for the auto Link- but everyone is poking me for not having an Omega or Breitling. ;-)

PS- Mustard, I plan on ordering the Archimede Pilot sometime in the next week or two. I'll probably go with the 45mm black leather strap, so I can just toss the Kenneth Cole into my old single winder in the closet for laundry day or something. :-d I really, really do love the design. It almost reminds me of a Philippe Patek 5120 in the way build quality is so stunningly obvious despite the simple design. :thanks

So, here are the pictures. Thanks again all!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice pickup!

I am 27 and started collecting watches when I was 16. I got my first nice watch as a graduation present which was a Omega Seamaster and I still have it to this day :). With my collection now over 20 watches my wife is starting to question my need for so many watches :-d. I just can't bring myself to sell any of them as most of them have a sentimental value.

Here are some of my watches. Box only holds 10 so I rotate some in and out. I just ordered a wall mounted watch case that holds 30 watches.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Nice pickup!

I am 27 and started collecting watches when I was 16. I got my first nice watch as a graduation present which was a Omega Seamaster and I still have it to this day :). With my collection now over 20 watches my wife is starting to question my need for so many watches :-d. I just can't bring myself to sell any of them as most of them have a sentimental value.

Here are some of my watches. Box only holds 10 so I rotate some in and out. I just ordered a wall mounted watch case that holds 30 watches.
Sweet collection :-!

I really appreciate the input all of you gave me. I'll try to respond to as much of it as possible, and also show you what I picked up.

The reason behind visiting the same boutique for every purchase is a personal connection with the owner, who always helps me. I only pay between 55% and 65% of retail price on a given watch. They carry many brands, from Swiss Army to Ulysses Nardin, but only have a handful of each brand on hand- I could order anything I liked, but it would be another 10-15%.

So, with that in mind, I liked the Hamiltons shown here. There was a limited edition piece having to do with Harrison Ford's charity work, keeping time in each country the charity was doing work in. It was stunning, but I've never been a fan of multiple time zones, and it was a little pricey for a Khaki.

Next I walked over and looked at the Tag Heuer watches, even though I knew they 1) were a little more than I wanted to spend for a random purchase and 2) not anything like the brown look I wanted for certain outfits. Was silly enough to try on the Link again. Thankfully my fiance pulled me away and reminded me my birthday was coming up. (Not likely, but got the idea out of my head of splurging).

Anyway, after all was said and done, I purchased a Hamilton American Classic Jazzmaster Square. It came at a shockingly low price OTD (half what I intended to spend)- and seemed to fit my look the best. I'm a bigger guy, about 6'3- so even being skinny I love when a larger face works for me. I took a picture next to my Carrera so you can see how much larger it "looks" despite being nearly the same size. Very happy with the purchase! Now I just have to figure out what high-end watch I want to round out the sixth spot. I still have a soft spot for the auto Link- but everyone is poking me for not having an Omega or Breitling. ;-)

PS- Mustard, I plan on ordering the Archimede Pilot sometime in the next week or two. I'll probably go with the 45mm black leather strap, so I can just toss the Kenneth Cole into my old single winder in the closet for laundry day or something. :-d I really, really do love the design. It almost reminds me of a Philippe Patek 5120 in the way build quality is so stunningly obvious despite the simple design. :thanks

So, here are the pictures. Thanks again all!

You picked up the Hami and at the same time your thinking of your next purchase! The force is strong here :-d Congrats, looks great!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts