WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tutima has bought the old "Bahnmeisterei", a building located at the Altenberger Straße, close to Nomos, A. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte Original and SUG though.
According to the Sächsische Zeitung ("Saxony News") Mr. Delecate, CEO of Tutima, said that they are confident to refurbish the building during 2007.

Happy New Year Tutima.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Good news. Sounds like "German Watches" is an ever growing, interesting and eventful field of inerest. :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
That is certainly good news.

IMHO, Tutima is one of the most underappreciated brands in the German watchmaking landscape.

However, this circumstance and the fact that the contracts with Nato and the German Military are winding down (as far as I know, at least), may be arguments for Tutima to bow to fashion trends like some other watch companies (see Zenith) in the attempt to replace the military related revenue base.

In the mean time, here are my two Tutima.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
However, this circumstance and the fact that the contracts with Nato and the German Military are winding down (as far as I know, at least), may be arguments for Tutima to bow to fashion trends like some other watch companies (see Zenith) in the attempt to replace the military related revenue base.
AFAIK Tutima owns the fashion-oriented Boccia brand and would not need to readjust its position to go into the fashion market. Clever company strategy, I think, covering both sides of the market.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks for the info.

IIRC, Boccia watches with quartz movements are replacing Tutima watches with 5100 movements. It makes sense for an armed force to issue cheaper watches (i guess by at least a factor of 5x or 6x) with, I assume, comparable performance.

I took a look at their web site and it seems that most of their watches (could not find technical specs) have quartz movements. So, it would seem that the Boccia brand is covering the mid-to-low end of the fashion market. My concern is that they start pushing the Tutima brand upwards with gold variations of existing models and/or introduction of "innovative" designs.

But at the end of the day, Tutima is a business concern and their objective is to make money on a sustainable fashion. I just hope they remain as true as possible to their heritage.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
IIRC, Boccia watches with quartz movements are replacing Tutima watches with 5100 movements. It makes sense for an armed force to issue cheaper watches (i guess by at least a factor of 5x or 6x) with, I assume, comparable performance.
The Boccia watches currently procured by the Bundeswehr in the 10'000s are standard armed forces issue, not necessarily pilot's issue, if I understand recent posts here correctly.

Boccia is a surprisingly well established brand in the glitz sector. It would indeed be a pity if Tutima were to glitz up their product line. Let's hope for the best. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts