WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a lucky owner of a Tutima Commander and this is in my opinion a superb tool watch,but with in my opinion one glaring fault,

The Crown,you cannot pull the bloody thing out to adjust time or date without loosing a nail in fact i use my teeth:-| i find it absolutley ludicrous that a watch at this price point and with a pedigree to match is so badly made.

Any others out there with thoughts on this?

Martin

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hopefully it will loosen up a bit over time. I'm not familiar with the Commander but is it Automatic or Manual wind? The crown of my Tutima Fliegerchronograph (manual wind) was a bit hard to pull out at first but after a couple of months of daily winding, it loosened up. If the Commander is an automatic, you could wind it maybe 5-10 turns a day (which shouldn't hurt it) and see if that loosens things up. To be absolutely safe though, I'd contact Tutima and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guy's,i have had a few Tutima's in my time but never one like this,so its on its way back to the AD.

Martin

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi Martin,

I have an issued Tutima Military Chronograph with the 5100 movement. Everytime when I try to loose the crown to adjust the time (the watch does not get any wrist time . . . :oops:), fingernails (the thumb and index finger) got "filed" a little bit by the crown.

It is very damaging to the nails as far as I can tell. I would not recommand you ask your girlfriend or wife to adjust the time for you. :-d

Probably Tutima thinks that their watches are so accurate so that you don't need to use the crown to adjust the time that much. . . .

On the other hand, the SINN and the NOMOS crowns are easier to "use".

Tommy

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Doesn't seem like a problem to me. Yes, it's a little bit difficult, but the crown is VERY well protected, and it's impossible for it to catch on anything. I think those two aspects drove the design.

At any rate, why worry too much about it? Are you adjusting the time on it a lot? Or maybe you need more calcium in your diet to strengthen your nails? I recommend broccoli or spinach :)

BTW--the easiest way to get to crown is by getting your index finger nail hooked into it underneath where there is a little gap.

Cheers,
Daniel

·
Registered
948 Posts
Don't let your dentist find out you are doing this! Ouch - I would really try to avoid using your teeth. Skin grows back, nails grow back, teeth don't! I find that the skin on the outside of my index finger has become much tougher and more sore by owning a couple of lemania 5100s!! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys

As you can see from my signature i have a watch or two and i like to rotate them,i also do not use a winder so an adjustment is usually necessary.This particular watch is just a ***** to adjust and yes i am not to bothered about the nails etc and as i know the Tutima AD and the watch has warranty why should i bust my chops?

I have heard a few moans about this model in respect of the crown and whilst i appreciate the "hidden " crown once you have unscrewed it making adjustments should not present a problem.

Martin

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Martin I had a bit of an issue with the Sinn142, the crown that rotated the inner bezel was impossible to grip with the fingers, th only way I could turn it was to grip it with fingernails and turn it through about 5 or 10 minutes at a time.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hi Martin

From what I understand from your post, it is the act of pulling out the crown once unscrewed, rather than the unscrewing that is the issue with your Commando II.

I have found using a thick sweat shirt to help unscrew/screw in the crowns on 5100s to be a good technique, as it saves your nails/fingers.

However, you problem lies with pulling the crown out once unscrewed. This is definitely not normal. It should be very easy indeed to pull out. So if I were you, I'd take it back to the AD to have it repaired. Good luck!

Cheers

Pat

Hi Guys

As you can see from my signature i have a watch or two and i like to rotate them,i also do not use a winder so an adjustment is usually necessary.This particular watch is just a ***** to adjust and yes i am not to bothered about the nails etc and as i know the Tutima AD and the watch has warranty why should i bust my chops?

I have heard a few moans about this model in respect of the crown and whilst i appreciate the "hidden " crown once you have unscrewed it making adjustments should not present a problem.

Martin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts