WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Been a lurker here for a while, thought its time to introduce myself and contribute to this fantastic community. I am from Texas, a strategy consultant by day and a horology noob by night. Like most here, I love reading about the nascent time pieces and get inspired to mod/build one of my own. Once Covid forced me to stay home instead of flying 200k miles per year, I had to find a hobby. What better hobby than dive into (pun intended) modding a vintage 1016 homage.

As context, I am not very good with tools, barely know how to open a case back and change straps. 30 days or so ago, the #buildbug bit me. Then started the devouring of tutorials, eBay tool hunting, Amazon orders..more reading. You know ....the bug. Thanks to this forum for the tutorials, now I feel like I should contribute. Let's get started:

STEP1: Pick a photo to model after. So I want this, but I don't have enough cash after buying a Rolex 16570 and a 16013 to shell out another $13 to 20k

STEP 2 : Take picture of the watch you want to mod. I selected this:

STEP 3 : Disassemble the watch. Great tutorial here. This is where having the right tools help tremendously. My work area was a mess!

STEP 4 : Make the dial look like its from the 60s
A) Add a bit of water color, err on the side of diluting the mixture, I used brown, orange and green to get the aged patina look.
B) Let it dry under a lamp
C) Throw it in a toaster oven. 450 degrees, for 10 mins
D) A bit of matte lacquer to seal the deal or look :)

STEP 5 : Can't have a case that looks like its from last year can we?
A) Cover up the plexi with tape or take the plexi out, I didnt have the tool yet so I covered it up. block the crown tube with some rodico and protect the tube threads.
B) Throw it in a tin box with some rocks and screws etc and shake it! check progress along the way. Shake it to taste

STEP 6 : It's coming together slowly, check to see if the dial and case match up to your liking and also the lume. In my case, I decided to not relume because I didnt bake the dial to the point where the lume would flatten and die. Reluming numbers can be difficult to say the least. I like the slight puffy look with the patina from the water color

STEP 7: It's about the hands, how to rust and age the hands. Here is my recipe:
A. Steel wool to rough them up a bit.
B. Soak in hot salt water, vinegar with a rusty drill bit for an hour or two
C. Drain out the salt water and add hydrogen peroxide, wait an hour.
D. Pick them out, and air dry, this induces a bit of rust
E. Clean any excess rust so it doesn't interrupt the hands moving over each other, remove lume and relume (optional)
F. I opted to go with a vintage lollipop second hand similar to the Rolex 1016 and didnt age it, instead used some water color to paint the lume

STEP 8: Put it all back together. be very careful to put the stem back in, slowly (VEEEEEERY SLOWLY) insert the stem into the hole and rotate as you gently press it in, until you hear a click. At which point, you will see the gears move in the time setting position. P.S. For Miyota, DG 2815 movements, I always take the stem out at time setting position (farthest out) and for ETA, I move it to the second position (date setting).

STEP 9: HAVE FUN!! This watch is such a joy to play with different straps. I decided to recreate an old Rolex advert that started the fascination over this piece

Lessons learned:

• Less is more when it comes to aging.
  • Having the right tools makes life 100x easier
  • Wear finger cots before handing the movement, dial or anything.
-The second hand is more fragile than a teenager's mind
  • Document every step, take picture of the setup before disassembling anything.
  • Rodico and mini screws are best friends
  • Respect the keyless and keep the stem in as much as possible.
  • Have a backup dial/hand set and movement of possible.
  • Be patient with the process, take breaks and enjoy the mini successes, learn from the failures.
Hope this was helpful! Thanks for reading

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Nice. Lots of fun.

Reactions: Mack_Bari

·
Registered
112 Posts
Great post and very informative. I have never seen any info about aging of dial and hands so it's a welcome addition for the collective knowledge (y)

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Thank you OP, for sharing your journey of making/modding a nice 1016 homage (plus ad pics too).

Reactions: Mack_Bari

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great post and very informative. I have never seen any info about aging of dial and hands so it's a welcome addition for the collective knowledge (y)
Happy to finally contribute! Thanks for the encouraging words.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts