WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an automatic watch movement to use as a base for my DIY watch project.

I'm a surfer and I want to design a watch face that displays the current tide status and the number of hours left before the next change. As the tide changes every 6 hours, the hour hand on a twin-time complication would do the job just fine. And cross referencing this with a moon-phase indicator would allow one to know whether the tide was a spring tide or neap tide.

Does anyone know of a movement I could get as a base for this project?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I'm looking for an automatic watch movement to use as a base for my DIY watch project.

I'm a surfer and I want to design a watch face that displays the current tide status and the number of hours left before the next change. As the tide changes every 6 hours, the hour hand on a twin-time complication would do the job just fine. And cross referencing this with a moon-phase indicator would allow one to know whether the tide was a spring tide or neap tide.

Does anyone know of a movement I could get as a base for this project?
Just out of curiosity, what part of the world are you in? Few places have tides that regular, and for much of the world it is impossible to predict the tides using a watch or clock.
You might be interested to know that there ARE a number of clocks made just as you say. There are tide movements for clocks (which for some reason do not have moon phases) widely available. Just Google "tide clock movements" and you'll find a pile of them plus tide clocks from various makers.

The mechanics of a second hand to indicate tide are subtle. If you look at a tide table, you'll see that the times of high and low tide vary quite a bit every day. They also change following a (somewhat) predictable pattern. There are many good programs and apps available for tide prediction, doing this mechanically is very problematic. If you look at the history of clockwork, you'll see that it has been very infrequently attempted, and never been successful to a degree to satisfy users who even want to know the approximate time with some accuracy. That's why most people who want to know what time tides are wear digital watches that use various tide prediction programs to predict the times of the tides.s

1 - 3 of 3 Posts