WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These two belong to a good friend who got them at an estate sale. He's a gold hound and ordinarily guts them and scraps the cases. I would rather that didn't happen and he agreed to let me show them here and get an idea whether they are worth more sold as they are or scrapped for their gold content. They both run and appear in good shape. What say you? Their former owner liked them a lot. Here are pix:

Now the Hamilton;

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,865 Posts
I'm glad that you saved those two - the first looks particularly beautiful IMO. The movement looks almost like a Billodes movement (also made in Le Locle) but the centre gear bridge is extended. Both are very decent lever movements so, once serviced, they should run nicely. Personally, if global warming didn't prevent me from wearing waistcoats more frequently, I'd use my pocket watches more often too.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I know it's everyone's choice to do what they like with items they own, but... This hurts, it would be a crime to ruin such wonderful pieces...
Too many watches, too few collectors. But I agree, it feels like robbing from the future.

·
Registered
363 Posts
They are both gorgeous.
Why not post them in the "for sale" for scrap value + a 10% donation to charity? Everyone's a winner.

If I hadn't acquired four watches in fewer weeks (& didn't have to pay import) I'd be tempted to offer.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
He's a gold hound and ordinarily guts them and scraps the cases.
I believe the correct terms are "magpie" and "vandal." What a deplorable, second-rate creature, by Jove...

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
The first one says 18K, that's it. Is it solid, rolled etc, etc. The Hamilton, I see no gold markings, not even guaranteed for 20 years? So, if it's just plating how much does he think the gold is worth?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts