WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Really chuffed about these two, should have them in about a week or a bit more - the JLC is already shipped, the Zenith should be, either on Monday or Tuesday.

Zenith Epervier

JLC Ultra Thin (cal. P838)

(all of them are seller's pics)

Not quite able to date the JLC ... have to probably get the case and movement number for that. I'm guessing early '70s.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
The JLC looks really sweet. Still trying to warm up to the Zenith, but I just can't do it. Looking forward to hearing about the two of them!
Cheers!
Dan

·
Registered
624 Posts
Nice couple of acquisitions. :-! The Epervier is one of the less "exotic" designs from that period and so has aged better than most. That JLC is a real classy piece.

Dave

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
A nice example of a "post-apocalyptic" Zenith, from the early years after the return to in-house mechanical production, a vein that not many collectors have mined. Bravo for the initiative and pioneering spirit. I find this one interesting, although the rounded contours of the metal which really speak to the late 1980s design are not instantly appealing to me, and I am really enjoying watching your collection grow.

The JLC, I'm sorry to tell you, is an optical illusion. It is actually a drawing of a watch, a nice one actually, on a loop of construction paper.:-d

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I wonder if with this Epervier I have one cal. 400 too many ... I say thee, nay! I really like the '80s design flourishes, a decade I remember both fondly and with a small amount of trepidation (the rat-race in school, awkwardness with girls, fashion missteps *shudder*), though like you, I think the bezel seems a bit out of place on that watch. I was offered a great price on it, and hence couldn't refuse ... I think it is a watch that will grow on me and I'll be loath to part with.

The JLC was a completely unplanned purchase ... again, an amazing price I couldn't refuse, and what can you say about that case? I think it is one of the most harmonious designs for dress watches and in 18kt gold, it looks peerless (IMO, of course). The movement looks in decent condition, but I shall locate a spare P838 so that I can cannibalize it for parts (just in case). I think this is one of those deals that are almost impossible to pass up (on one of the most beautiful watches I've seen). The small size (34mm case) doesn't bother me in the least ... I have a few others of the same dimensions, and the case design (and slim profile) will make it wear a tad larger than the numbers suggest.

A nice example of a "post-apocalyptic" Zenith, from the early years after the return to in-house mechanical production, a vein that not many collectors have mined. Bravo for the initiative and pioneering spirit. I find this one interesting, although the rounded contours of the metal which really speak to the late 1980s design are not instantly appealing to me, and I am really enjoying watching your collection grow.

The JLC, I'm sorry to tell you, is an optical illusion. It is actually a drawing of a watch, a nice one actually, on a loop of construction paper.:-d

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, Dan! I know the Epervier definitely shows it's age (1980s) but the JLC design is dare I say it ... timeless?

The JLC looks really sweet. Still trying to warm up to the Zenith, but I just can't do it. Looking forward to hearing about the two of them!
Cheers!
Dan
Thank you, Dave!

Nice couple of acquisitions. :-! The Epervier is one of the less "exotic" designs from that period and so has aged better than most. That JLC is a real classy piece.

Dave

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,422 Posts
The JLC is finally here!

https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/yes-its-finally-here-493902.html

The Zenith should be with me shortly ...
Well, contrary to Dan, I can warm up rather more to the Zenith that the JLC. Those ultra thin watches from the seventies, sacrificing a lot to achieve this (date, seconds indication, probably robustness as well - all the things I would prefer to see in my watches), were never really my thing. The same goes for the Cal. VC 1121/AP 2121 by JLC. Still, it was your choice, not mine - so enjoy it for a long time to come.

Hartmut Richter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts