WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
First up, i am an existing member, but i had to make a new account, some reason i couldnt log on using this tablet i am having to use.

I just ordered two vintage watches from ebay, prices were high, but with an offer and a 10% discount from ebay i am satisfied with what i payed.

I am still a newby when it comes to vintage watches, so i appreciate any and all feed back, good or bad.

First up is a Movado automatic. I was drawn to this for some reason, i really like the patina of the dial.

Second is this Duby & Shaldenbrand Index mobile chrono.

Cheers for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Very nice pickups! I'm digging the lugs on the chronograph.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You have good taste! Chrono is very pleasing as is the Movado. I am not a huge fan of damaged (patina some call it) dials, this can effect the value as a dial can be trickiest thing to put right. However each to his own, it does add touch of history and age to the watch, it's not going to be confused with a new one!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I just had an amusing image of the OP perusing eBay, finding a watch of interest, and muttering to himself "Yes, Sam would probably like this. I'm going to bid on it ForSam."

:-d

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just had an amusing image of the OP perusing eBay, finding a watch of interest, and muttering to himself "Yes, Sam would probably like this. I'm going to bid on it ForSam."

Your not that far from the mark :)

My three daughters names are Shae, Asha, and Mali (S.A.M) and one day my collection of watches and other things will go to them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can anyone tell me how i may find the year this Duby watch was produced?

As i understand, these were first made in the mid 40's, then later (90's) were re-produced using nos.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
According to the entry for the Index-Mobile in Ranfft, 150 were made in 1996, but they had a calendar complication, so...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
According to the entry for the Index-Mobile in Ranfft, 150 were made in 1996, but they had a calendar complication, so...
Talking with my watch guru today, and some old interwebs looking, i think this is a 60's.
The thin hand on the 9 o'clock dial, and the (original) band, leads us to the 60's.

Could be wrong, but thats the best guess at this stage

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,881 Posts
The Index Mobile is a wonderful complication (poor man's rattrapante) but needs to be watched: if you stop the rattrapante for over a minute, the thin spring connecting the two seconds hands busts.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Index Mobile is a wonderful complication (poor man's rattrapante) but needs to be watched: if you stop the rattrapante for over a minute, the thin spring connecting the two seconds hands busts.....

Hartmut Richter
Thanks Hartmut.
I have recieved the watch now, and it is better than i was expecting, absolutely mint condition.
I took it into my watch guys shop just to have him give me a run down on how to use it, and he said bassicly what you mentioned.

Its the first watch i have showed to him, in which he wanted to buy from me, so now i dont feel so bad for what i paid for it.

I plan on only wearing this Duby for special occasions. I will upload some better photos today.

Also now have the Movado, and was suprised at the feeling of the bumper action, very noticable. Is that normal?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts