WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must admit the gray model is quite nice and something that is certainly on my radar. Display caseback will be a nice touch too. I have to see it in person!

18kt gold, not so much.

Reactions: schumway

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
I would love it if I can trade in my SARB017 for that Green & Gold.........even trade only :ROFLMAO:
Have a thing for G&G!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Don't you mean "patinate?" ;)
Have you ever seen old sterling silver?

Bronze oxidation (particularly CuAL8 bronze oxidation) = Beautiful

925 Sterling Silver tarnish = Hot garbage

The least they could have done is make the case out of 935 Argentium Silver, a recently developed alloy containing germanium, which significantly increases the tarnish resistance of the alloy. Argentium silver typically won't tarnish to any appreciable extent if the piece is frequently worn.

925 sterling is going to look like crap after 6 months.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I like the Taupe color, seems like it will wear nice with a variety of things, but the that silver will definitely tarnish and not look well like a bronze patinas. I LOVE the idea of the gold, but no bracelet and the price are crap. It will look awesome on nato or tropic rubber but for what the price is.....yeah no thanks I'll stick with my regular 58

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
...irrelevant stuff snipped
Of course I have. I both own and wear sterling silver. In fact, here is a sterling cuff I've worn continuously for nearly a year. No lacquer, no waxing, no surface treatment of any kind. Doesn't look bad, does it?
Silver reacts to body chemistry and environment so ymmv, but my point is that it's not a given that a silver article of jewelry will look like grandma's tea set.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts

Bronze oxidation (particularly CuAL8 bronze oxidation) = Beautiful

925 Sterling Silver tarnish = Hot garbage

The least they could have done is make the case out of 935 Argentium Silver, a recently developed alloy containing germanium, which significantly increases the tarnish resistance of the alloy. Argentium silver typically won't tarnish to any appreciable extent if the piece is frequently worn.

B&R made a watch out of Argentium a few years ago - apparently the tarnishing is very subtle - but no-one GAF. The important thing is, this is a Black Bay; it could be made of coal and the words and funds would just come tumbling out.

If you're going to make a watch out of silver, it generally works if it's a dressier type. This one is 41mm, btw.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
No offense, but I would not want my watch to look like that bracelet after a year. And a silver "diver" that would be exposed to who knows what if really worn, seems like a horrible idea to me. But to each his/her own.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The silver BB58 is not just a silver dial. The case is 925 silver.

Yeah, no thank you. I don't want to spend $5k on a watch that will tarnish in 6 months.
thats the point though, just like bronze watches. if you really dont like it you can always rub some toothpaste on it and rinse it off since its a diver. toothpaste won't damage the finish anyways.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Of course I have. I both own and wear sterling silver. In fact, here is a sterling cuff I've worn continuously for nearly a year. No lacquer, no waxing, no surface treatment of any kind. Doesn't look bad, does it?
Silver reacts to body chemistry and environment so ymmv, but my point is that it's not a given that a silver article of jewelry will look like grandma's tea set.
View attachment 15812147
i thought that silver actually tarnishes less with skin contact and use. atleast thats what jewellers told me and observation wise that seems to be accurate. if i dont use silver accessories and jewellery and just let them sit, they tarnish way faster than when i consistently use them.

·
Registered
656 Posts
i thought that silver actually tarnishes less with skin contact and use. atleast thats what jewellers told me and observation wise that seems to be accurate. if i dont use silver accessories and jewellery and just let them sit, they tarnish way faster than when i consistently use them.
You're exactly right, which is why completely smooth silver pieces like the above poster's bracelet/cuff actually look decent with continuous wear. But for any jewelry or watch with nooks and crevices, the recessed parts are going to turn black after a few months because they're hidden away from skin contact.

Some people like that look when the nooks and crevices of silver jewelry turn black. I personally think it would look terrible on a watch, particularly the BB58 design, but to each his own.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Sure, it might hurt to pay $22,880 (Australian dollars) for the Black Bay in 18K yellow gold, but hey, at least you get a free NATO strap with it to cushion the blow.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
What is up with Rolex's metallurgical compositions... their YG/RG is the brightest and most obnoxious shades in existence, and yet with the BB they have somehow managed to create and use a blend that looks more bronze than YG. Makes no sense to me - I really think they're trying to differentiate the tiers here a little too much. Think I'll just stick to SS ... (or white metals in general).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Love the silver. I dont think it will age like silver would do usually, Rolex/Tudor wouldn't do that and treated it with something i bet to age more slowly and gracefully.

Think i am going to sell the navy one and get this one instead. I love it

·
Registered
37 Posts
None of the designs shown today appeal to me. The marketing and design selection at Tudor for the last few years has been a hot mess.
Agreed. They could have brought back the Ranger, the Tuxedo, etc., but instead we get more black bays nobody asked for. And if your going to release a chronograph, how do you miss an opportunity to take advantage of the current Daytona hype and not release an updated Prince Chronograph?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts