WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Switching back to my bracelet, decided to try and take the leather band off my SMP300 myself.

There were a couple of scratches inside the lugs which is okay, I'm not sure if I did them or my jeweller did, but scratches there are bound to happen with the spring bars.

What I did notice though were two small dents - and I mean small, I only noticed them because I was looking for something - on the edge, towards the end of the lug, like maybe the stock bracelet dented it? I dunno.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
And no pics?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
And no pics?
Well I'll post a pic, but like I said it's really hard unless you scrutinise it. You probably won't see it on the pic.

Stock bracelets cause this over time yes if it's what I think you're taking about.
Okay that's cool, but after a two week old watch? I thought maybe the jeweller did it when he fit my strap, or maybe me when I removed it, but I fitted a leather strap on an old watch today, to see if I could do it - so I can then do it on my Omega myself, but these marks don't fit with scratches from a spring bar (second image, different lug).

Probably just being anal.

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
Do yourself a favour and forget about it.

I just removed the bracelet from a 4-year-old PO the first time and what I saw made me sick to my stomach :roll:
Metal grinding dirt on metal is baaaad...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
That is more likely a spring bar that slip out that way. If You try to release the spring bar and let it pass on that direction without applying pressure so that the spring bar is not resting at the inner surface of the lugs. This will definitely happen.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do yourself a favour and forget about it.

I just removed the bracelet from a 4-year-old PO the first time and what I saw made me sick to my stomach

Metal grinding dirt on metal is baaaad...
Yeah I know, guess because it's brand new I'm not wanting any mark, but it's gonna pick up scratches etc anyway. At least it's just a lug.

That is more likely a spring bar that slip out that way. If You try to release the spring bar and let it pass on that direction without applying pressure so that the spring bar is not resting at the inner surface of the lugs. This will definitely happen.
So it's caused by a spring bar, coming out? I must've done it then, not sure how it made two 'dints' instead of scratching.

Let's hope it doesn't happen again when I fit another bracelet/strap.

·
Registered
266 Posts
if you intend to swap bracelet regularly you might want to get spring bar pliers.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Yes, I've seen that from a spring bar pushing out against the lugs as its being removed. I think it happens more often when changing a bracelet than with leather/rubber straps, because one can keep their grip on the spring bar flange better when it's not a bracelet that won't let you twist it to lift the bars out.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
if you intend to swap bracelet regularly you might want to get spring bar pliers.

We posted at the same time, but I suppose that tool might address the issue that I mentioned above, of removing a bracelet that you can't twist to lift one end of the spring bar at a time.

·
Registered
521 Posts
This is the main reason why I'm moving more and more towards NATOs, because I can change them without removing the spring bars. No matter how careful I am and how much tape I use to cover the lugs, I still find it extremely difficult to compress the spring bars to a point that the tip doesn't touch the inside of the lug. And if you let it go just a little bit too early, it can even damage the edge of the lugs, and this might be visible from the outside. o|

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I've used tape to cover the lugs on my PO and there are still faint marks, so I can understand. After a while however I entered into the 'what the he'll' mode as its 'my watch' and not somebody else's future purchase.

I'm still careful when changing straps, but have got used to the fact that there will be traces.

For what it's worth, my advise is to try not to think about it and enjoy that awesome watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I've seen that from a spring bar pushing out against the lugs as its being removed. I think it happens more often when changing a bracelet than with leather/rubber straps, because one can keep their grip on the spring bar flange better when it's not a bracelet that won't let you twist it to lift the bars out.
So it's more common with bracelet removal? Interesting, I didn't remove the bracelet myself, my jeweller did. I removed the straps he put on, but there were openings to fit the spring bar tool in which I used (with difficulty) and these are the sides which are intact. The sides I couldn't get into and thus I didn't attempt using, are the sides with the marks.

So I guess my jeweller made the marks? :/

I've used tape to cover the lugs on my PO and there are still faint marks, so I can understand. After a while however I entered into the 'what the he'll' mode as its 'my watch' and not somebody else's future purchase.

I'm still careful when changing straps, but have got used to the fact that there will be traces.

For what it's worth, my advise is to try not to think about it and enjoy that awesome watch!

Yeah I don't mind scratches INSIDE the lugs, it's where this one is situatated, on the edge to the bottom. Granted, it is small, but I know it's there, and the potential fact I didn't do it and someone else did is a bit annoying. Though it's not that bad?

Guess in a couple of weeks I'll have forgotten but it's pretty raw now haha.

Also, I've successfully replaced a bracelet with a brown leather strap today, and swapped out my PRC200s falling apart strap with a new black leather one - fitted the original deployment on too.

No lug scratches or marks....

Guess I'll have to get over the fact my beautiful Omega has a slight war wound.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Got some scratches on the inside of the lugs of my GS as well. I removed the bracelet for cleaning (yay for drilled lugs), but couldn't get the bracelet back on (one side the bracelet snapped into place nicely, but on the other side only one pin would grab onto the hole). After numerous attempts of taking the bracelet on and off on that side (I taped the lugs in the process), I decided to take it to the Seiko boutique. Well... It comes down to that they scratched the .... out of the lugs. Took them 10mins+ to get the bracelet back in the place. Was pissed at first, but heck, it's on the underside anyways.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yeah that looks to be from bracelet /strap changes from either the tool or springbar. What I was talking about is on top of the lugs where the bracelet rests.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Didn't realize that somebody else had made the marks, in that case I agree it's a bit more difficult to live with.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Didn't realize that somebody else had made the marks, in that case I agree it's a bit more difficult to live with.

Well I'm assuming this - I only noticed the marks after I'd removed the leather straps. so figured it was me. But after reading the above post and how the marks are more common with bracelet removals, and when I placed the straps in place today to see where the openings on the strap where to access the spring bar... the openings aren't on the lugs with the marks, ergo, not the lugs I touched.

So I assume the marks weren't caused by me, which sucks, but only noticeable when I look really hard. Hoping when the new strap arrives and I fit it, its not noticeable at all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts