WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today at 9am one Custom Seatime arrives in DC, accompanied by one Black Marine Original (for your enjoyment, pictures are attached):

(UPDATE: I've added new side by side White Dial and Black Dial Marine Original pics further down in thread)

The Seatime has a blue face/blue bezel with the black date wheel instead of the usual white. Looks so much better than I'd imagined (over and over). Anyway, for now, the seatime will be my overseas work watch (along with the ol' gmt), so long as it's hulking beauty doesn't distract me.

Oh, yeah, Seatime came with an orange bezel. I ordered red, but orange is ok, maybe someone at Stowa's a little colorblind :) And they threw in a black bezel, which is most appreciated of course.

Jorge, I love you.

The Black MO, also looks better than I'd imagined. Finishing is beautiful, coming as no surprise. I have the white MO, and honestly, I'll continue to wear it most often (of the two MO's). Why? Because I really just don't want to scratch the black MO. I never worry about those things, ever. My beater is a GMT rolex and the White MO has seen its share of danger, with scars to be proud of. But sitting here now, I don't want anything to ever happen to this new MO! I've already ordered and received a custom alligator strap for it (will put on later and post more pics). I'll keep it as a "dress watch," for a while. But no doubt I'll eventually feel the urge to wear it more and more until one day at the range I'll be wearing it, or while pruning trees, punching a camel or fighting a bear wearing a suit of sandpaper.

Spectacular. They're great. I'm sitting here now playing with the MO, the hands are bone white, almost like little matchsticks made of chalk.

Jorge, thank you.

Stowa ewig, und noch ein bisschen mehr!

PS: feel free to ask questions about the black MO, know a lot of folks still haven't seen it. I'll attempt to report back accurately on design, finishing and feel. -best

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow, what a great day, I also already have a white MO and have been thinking about the black one, would you say it feels substantially different to justify owning both? (I am not normally the type to have multiple watches of almost identical appearance).

Congratulations again!

Richard

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Richard,

Honestly, yes. The Black MO is an altogether different watch, aesthetically. First thing I did upon receiving the Black MO was to place alongside the white one. I'll post a pic for you tonight when I get home. The image will likely better explain the differences in appearance.

take care-

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
Both watches are stunning, like the colors! Wear them in good health.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Very, very nice combination - best of all worlds! Glad to see a black MO.

Look forward to seeing the B and W MOs side by side.

Enjoy them always!

Glen

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
happy day 4 you!!

both the seatime & the MO are great looking.

congrats

·
Registered
492 Posts
Richard,

Honestly, yes. The Black MO is an altogether different watch, aesthetically. First thing I did upon receiving the Black MO was to place alongside the white one. I'll post a pic for you tonight when I get home. The image will likely better explain the differences in appearance.

take care-
I'd certainly be interested in that too! :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just stopped by a small watch shop here in rosslyn, across the river from dc. The fellow is from lebanon and loves to talk watches and women. When i asked him to take a link from the watch, he about passed out when he saw it: "such a watch! Such a watch!" He was afraid to ask the price, didnt want to "disrespect me" When i told him arpund 900 US or so, he grabbed his loupe and molested my watch for several minutes. Kept saying: "cannot be! Such a watch!". I got a good laugh out of it. He's so serious and animated. He told me to never buy another watch, and never "betray that one." Great stuff..... Anyway here's a pic of the new SeaT in action, fitted for battle ....and some office time(oops nevermind, cant upload from iphone it seems).. I'll be sure to post the black/white dial MO pics tonight. Thanks for the responses, and sharing in the excitement.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
yeah, not too many people know about Stowa's. I've only recently met one guy who knew exactly what I was talking about, that was the front desk man at the resort I stayed in Jamaica last week.

You can read that little story here: https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=270008

Other than him, various other watch fans just say "HUH?" when I ask them if they have ever heard of Stowa.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Good stuff! I gotta say the black MO looks quite different to what I expected having seen your "real-world" photo's. Looks great!!!

Very much looking forward to seeing pics side by side with the white MO.

In your opinion which is the dressier watch? Or what occassions would you wear one but not the other (with or without the camel punching).

·
Registered
363 Posts
Oh Dear!
Whilst I'd penciled in getting a Seatime - I could quite happily put off my order especially whilst Jorg ponders new summer colours...

...but I'd always assumed the black dialed MO came with roman figures only, and quite honestly, that is most definitely not my cup of tea.

I never knew a black dial arabic existed.

Oh Dear o|

·
Registered
926 Posts
Your Black MO is striking !
-love the Seatime, i have one coming from Germany now.
You've got me thinking about a black MO for myself :}

enjoy them both !

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wow, the black MO looks awesome! Nice purchase...enjoy!!!

Jeff

·
Registered
648 Posts
Im digging the black dial MO! It has been in the back of my mind since I first saw it. Will wait for my Antea before ordering the MO! :-!

Congrats on a great duo!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Side by side shots of MO's....Re: Two Stowas at my Door! (Black MO)

(Sorry for delay, tried to do this last night but the internet wasn't working well because of storm in my area).

Ok, here are some side by side shots of the Black and White Marine Original stowas. Depending on the straps used, the watches wear very differently. At least I believe so. Hope these are useful for you guys wanting side by side pics. (My photos aren't the best...)

I've had the white MO on a orig bond (RAF) NATO strap. I tried this strap with the black MO, and it looked pretty classic. Though, I think I'll keep the white MO on the NATO for now, as a summer watch.

I tried the Black MO with the custom gator strap I ordered. But, I'm not keen on it. Therefore I put the black MO on a custom brown leather I had been using on a diff watch (Hausmann limited ed chrono). This combo works best I think.

Why don't I just use the Stowa strap? Well, Stowa straps are well enough, and I know some folks prefer to keep their stowas on the orig straps. That's a fine thing, but for me, the straps aren't substantial enough. Thick/wide enough I guess. I just dont prefer the tapered straps mostly because my wrist is close to 8". I'm a tall, big guy and the stowa straps seem just a little dainty.

That said, I'm not into "big" watches. The Seatime is def bigger than any other watch in my rotation (I've a WWI Doxa aviator witch is 50ish mm, though I never wear it). The ST is great though. I just stare at it. I did notice last night that Stowa forgot to use the bezel with the illuminated triangle as I'd requested. That's ok. I was so excited about the new watches that I hadn't even noticed until I was lying in bed last night admiring the lume. The illuminated numbers are nice.

I'll post another short reply with photos of the black MO with the other mentioned straps...

take care-

Note: My white MO is #1013 and my black MO is number #1303. Lots of 13's for me : )

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Diff Straps on Black MO - Re: Two Stowas at my Door! (Black MO)

Diff straps on black MO:

Photographing the Black MO was a little tricky. Especially with a simple point-and-shoot digital cam. Please excuse glare and smudges (no, those aren't scratches on the new MO...!).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Re: Diff Straps on Black MO - Re: Two Stowas at my Door! (Black MO)

great pic :-!

Love both those watches.

Let me ask you, whats that little skull you have there? I have a thing for skulls. I have a little crystal skull I place on my cards when I play poker, a similar one hanging from my rear view mirror, many of my T-shirts, swim shorts & hats also have skulls on them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Diff Straps on Black MO - Re: Two Stowas at my Door! (Black MO)

Hi, Mr. Ocho. It's just a little plastic skull that was sitting on my desk. Thought it looked interesting next to the black stowa while I was using the lo-fi lighting set up. Maybe a momento-more, reminding us that there's always more money to be lost on watches....

Thanks for the feedback, glad you like them. Oh, also, I read your Jamaica story.

Take care-

1 - 20 of 49 Posts