WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I'm a big fan of the classic style two-tone dial watches from the fifties. However these watches are almost always very small ( 37mm without crown or (much) smaller) and expensive. I prefer a diameter of 38-39mm without crown. There are almost no new versions of this watch style. Exceptions are the microbrand Vario (38mm), which was sold out pretty quickly and the beautiful 38mm Longines Heritage Tuxedo (which at Euro 1500 is too expensive for me). Also Messerschmitt has a 38mm retro model, affordable though not classic enough for my taste and the nice Junghans model Meister Driver (a bit small at 37,7mm) at Euro 1000 rather expensive. I recently had a 38mm vintage watch restored and modified in order to get the desired result, total cost Euro 450 (watch Euro 150 + resto/mod Euro 300). Why is it that manufacturers don't produce new issues of this type of watch? In the 38-40mm range at 300-500 Euro they would sell like hot cakes? What do you think?

Vario Empire:

Longines Heritage Tuxedo:

Messerschmitt Kabinenroller:

Junghans Meister Driver:

My restomod
Before:

After:

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Baltic HMS 002, maybe?
HMS 002 Black - Baltic Watches

You might also want to have a look at the Worldmaster "The Original" by Atlantic - the bullseye models are no longer in production, but you'd probably be able to buy a pre-owned one.

Reactions: marcwee1

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Baltic HMS 002, maybe?
HMS 002 Black - Baltic Watches

You might also want to have a look at the Worldmaster "The Original" by Atlantic - the bullseye models are no longer in production, but you'd probably be able to buy a pre-owned one.
Thank you for your suggestions! The Baltic is a very nice watch (especially in blue) in it's own right, contrast in the two tone dial is very low however. The Atlantic Worldmaster is exactly the watch I mean, I've seen it in a shop in Poland. At 42mm too big for me unfortunately. My favourite watch of all time is the Omega Seamaster (way too small of course):love::

Reactions: Black5

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Hi there,
I'm a big fan of the classic style two-tone dial watches from the fifties. However these watches are almost always very small ( 37mm without crown or (much) smaller) and expensive. I prefer a diameter of 38-39mm without crown. There are almost no new versions of this watch style. Exceptions are the microbrand Vario (38mm), which was sold out pretty quickly and the beautiful 38mm Longines Heritage Tuxedo (which at Euro 1500 is too expensive for me). Also Messerschmitt has a 38mm retro model, affordable though not classic enough for my taste and the nice Junghans model Meister Driver (a bit small at 37,7mm) at Euro 1000 rather expensive. I recently had a 38mm vintage watch restored and modified in order to get the desired result, total cost Euro 450 (watch Euro 150 + resto/mod Euro 300). Why is it that manufacturers don't produce new issues of this type of watch? In the 38-40mm range at 300-500 Euro they would sell like hot cakes? What do you think?

Vario Empire:

Longines Heritage Tuxedo:

Messerschmitt Kabinenroller:

Junghans Meister Driver:

My restomod
Before:

After:

@marcwee1 - I don’t really have a direct suggestion, but I agree completely with your vintage objective - as I collect 20s-40s chronographs primarily, anything 2-tone in the 37-39 mm range excluding crowns is the perfect size ! I have collected Art Deco also for a while and love them, style-wise, but wearing them at the smaller size I’m still struggling with, good luck !

The Atlantic suggestion is a good one...S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: marcwee1

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
If a 37.7mm diameter dress watch is too small for you, I think you are in the wrong forum.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,198 Posts
If a 37.7mm diameter dress watch is too small for you, I think you are in the wrong forum.
And if at the same time 42mm is too big, then it might be time to try a few different dial styles, case shapes, bezel thicknesses, etc , rather than focussing exclusively on a very narrow range of round case diameters.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Omega Dynamic Bullseye

They made these in a variety of dial colors. I think they're 40mm.

Reactions: Chascomm

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To some extend the preferred watch size is a matter of fashion, when you see big watches long enough you are inclined to like bigger watches. However, your wristsize constraints matters somewhat, also the need for reading glasses (in my case😕) makes small watches less practical. To each his own, wear and collect what you like! I prefer (at the moment) 38-40 mm watches, and have whole collection of them. Was just wondering why there are so little vintage style watches in this size range, they would sell like hot cakes imo.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions! The Baltic is a very nice watch (especially in blue) in it's own right, contrast in the two tone dial is very low however. The Atlantic Worldmaster is exactly the watch I mean, I've seen it in a shop in Poland. At 42mm too big for me unfortunately. My favourite watch of all time is the Omega Seamaster (way too small of course):love::
View attachment 15873572
Can't get along with the size argument. My smallest watches are 28-30mm, the largest - 43 (two Citizens and an Edox).
I had only one work colleague call my vintage watches too small, but she happens to be an idiot in most imaginable ways. For that matter, she could well be an idiot in all imaginable ways, although I do not intend to find out if that's the case, I'm not a masochist.

As for that Seamaster, the real reason why you should avoid these "fat lug" Seamasters with bullseye/tuxedo dials is that they're redials. This one certainly is, and an atrocious one at that. These watches came with two-tone dials alright, but only in terms of different tones of silver used for the centre portion and the outer ring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts