WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two years ago I bought my first G-Shock. Inspired by Tse_tse and Starsream1017 threads I decided to create my own.

Piowa’s G collection:​

1) G-7800-1 [sold]
01.jpg
I chose my first G because of its unusual look. Then I realized it has unusual module as well. Best start-stop time in stopwatch game (0.09 seconds). I didn’t like that seconds were the same size as hours and minutes.

2) DW-5000SL [sold]
02.jpg
After buying my first G I began reading WUS and Polish forums. Soon I found out that square screwback is the quintessential G. I bought new Spike Lee for a bargain price (about 60 Euros). I think it was the last one left at Polish retailers. The watch felt not very well balanced on my hand. I found logo in the backlight annoying.

3) GX-56-1A [sold]
03.jpg
I had it for 18 months. Here is the full story:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/just-sold-my-black-red-king-pic-heavy-872193.html

4) GX-56-4A [sold]
04.jpg
For a moment I wanted to collect all 7 Kings. I started with an orange one. Unfortunately I found its display to be harder to read than in my red King. The bezel was different shade of orange than the belt.

5) SGW-100 [sold]
05.jpg
My first non-G. Bought for thermometer function as a vacation watch. It was the most accurate watch I have ever had. It gained only 1 second per month. It felt too light and fragile compared with G.

6) G-9000-8 „Stormtrooper” [sold]
06.jpg
Bought it used and slightly discolored. Buttons were really hard to press.

7) DRO-204 [sold]
07.jpg
Cheap buy, quirky design, but very uncomfortable on my wrist.

8) GD-350-8 [sold]
08.jpg
Bought new, one of the first pieces in Poland. I like features and look, but I found wings very uncomfortable. I unscrewed them, but it wasn’t much better.

9) MDV-106 [sold]
09.jpg
My only analog watch. Elegant, solid and cheap. After wearing it for few weeks I discovered I am strictly digital guy. MDV was useless in the dark.

10) GL-121 [sold]
10.jpg
Bought out of curiosity, because it was extremely cheap. I paid less than 10 Euro shipped. Sold for much more probably because of bullbars.

11) GX-56-1B
11.jpg
My best G. Period.

12) DW-5600C „Speed” [sold]
12.jpg
Small, retro watch for vacation. Very comfortable on the wrist during long, summer bike trips. However once you try King, you don't want to wear anything smaller.

13) DW-5600C „Speed” [sold]
13.jpg
Had it for just one day. Bought in “like new” condition for about 40 Euros. Sold for much more.

14) GX-56-1A
14.jpg
I missed my red King, so I bought another (slightly used) one.

Now I have two Kings. I can’t decide which is my favourite one. Time will tell.

What next?
GXW-56? Too pricey. Maybe G-7800 again? Rangeman? First I am going to see in person.

Cheers, Piowa

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,158 Posts
Nice watches you owned! :)

I like the 5600c the most.
The GX-56 is nice too, but the 5600 is still the basic configuration of a ruggerized digital watch.

Unfortunally im not able to sell any of my preciuos Gs.....

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Nice collage, great to see them all at once :)

Still few models out there for you to try, maybe 7900, 6900, 5500, 8900... Or maybe the new extra large 6900, I think GDX-6900. It's big, maybe the size won't dissapoint you compared to King.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Nice Piowa! I was wondering what other G's you've been through.

Like you I genuinely enjoy the kings, fortunately I also do not have the desire to own all 7!

You inspire me quite a bit to "right size" my collection, and thank you very much for that! Glad to have the black/red back in your possession?

sent with aloha

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
Piowa, I really admire your ability to let go of G-Shocks. In my case, I have too much of a broad minded personality and find it hard to let go of something if there's an attribute I like about it. Recently I've been able to overcome it... somewhat. Once I've sold off a few more G-Shocks, perhaps I'll do a similar thread. :)

I'm still not a fan of the King. I admire it for its sheer ruggedness, undeniably the best of the whole G-Shock line. But it's bigger than I like. All I'd seen were the negative display ones in person, which I found difficult to read. But I must say, I also feel your GX-56-1B is the best looking King of the lot. Perhaps one day I'll get one. If anything, just to own it for a while and have some wrist-King experience to speak from. ;-)

Reactions: nnbz

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
all the words "sold" put smiles in my face, don't know why I find this thread funny LOLz

I thought you had more Gshocks than this, though

you should try out the G-8900 or the upcoming GLS8900, big digits and kindda refreshing

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
great thread! did not know you started collecting in 2011 like me! thought you were at it longer than that! I love how you sold other models and stuck with the King, why collect the rest when the king really is the best! (my attempt to rhyme lol) The GX56 is my favourite model as well.. when I strap on these other hypercolour models they cheer me up but when I strap a king on, it gives you that tough manly hulk feeling, just want to go around punching people for no reason! haha.. just kidding..such a solid watch! just love it.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for nice words. I was also thinking about GD-X6900, kind of "round king". Will see...

Starscream, I know the hulk feeling you are writing about.

Cheers, Piowa

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thanks guys for nice words. I was also thinking about GD-X6900, kind of "round king". Will see...
Interesting collection of watches. Personally, while I do love the GD-X6900, it is not a replacement for the king. Here is a size comparison between the two:

I think one thing that the GD-X6900 has going for it is the potential for many colorful/collab models in the future. I just wish Casio was still making the king, one of my favorites.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
If they ever re - release the peg leg . . . . .

sent with aloha
wish they would release the popular DW6900's that sold really well.. for the GDX! easy money for them! i missed out on the MM2 and the MM4, would love to have them in a bigger size.. wonder if the DW6900 will be discontinued soon, it's their best selling model but for a few dollars more you are getting all those extra features on the GDX, will be interesting to see how they perform against each other.

·
Registered
835 Posts
wish they would release the popular DW6900's that sold really well.. for the GDX! easy money for them! i missed out on the MM2 and the MM4, would love to have them in a bigger size.. wonder if the DW6900 will be discontinued soon, it's their best selling model but for a few dollars more you are getting all those extra features on the GDX, will be interesting to see how they perform against each other.
I would be all over a GD-X6900MM-2 if one came out.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts