WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Having looked at lots of information about these I have learnt a lot. However one thing I can't discover is when these movements were first produced as wristwatches . Anybody know ?
It's hard to say, I think, since the only period catalogs we have (1934 and 1940) show pocket watch Type-1 designs only. Others will likely know more from their research. My gut intuition says that converted pocket watches were the first to find their way onto wrists. Here's one I have from 1935, for example:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

But gut intuition is a very poor way to reason your way through Soviet horolgy, so I'll bow out and wait for a true expert to answer.

·
Banned
2,778 Posts
It's hard to say, I think, since the only period catalogs we have (1934 and 1940) show pocket watch Type-1 designs only. Others will likely know more from their research. My gut intuition says that converted pocket watches were the first to find their way onto wrists. Here's one I have from 1935, for example:

View attachment 6646090

But gut intuition is a very poor way to reason your way through Soviet horolgy, so I'll bow out and wait for a true expert to answer.
Thanks Dashiell, I have been away working so not got far with this. I found early converted pocket watches too. I think , though now I can't remember where now, really need to bookmark things, the earliest purpose made wristwatch I found was 1937ish.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts