WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I attended a formal white tie dinner at a famous and ancient Oxford College.

I dressed quite formally and wore one of my rather dressier watches, however I took my FIFA 6900 in my pocket and produced it during the evening to the complete horror of my wife who snatched it and buried it in her purse at the earliest opportunity.

What do you think people, does that make me U or Non U? ( Non English may need to look this concept up!)

Mitch

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Last night I attended a formal white tie dinner at a famous and ancient Oxford College.

I dressed quite formally and wore one of my rather dressier watches, however I took my FIFA 6900 in my pocket and produced it during the evening to the complete horror of my wife who snatched it and buried it in her purse at the earliest opportunity.

What do you think people, does that make me U or Non U? ( Non English may need to look this concept up!)

Mitch
Is this a fairly new terminology Mitch, I left the UK in 1999 and I have no idea what a U or non U is, don't even know where I would look that up, can you help out with a definition... I guess by not knowing I am a non U:-d!

It's funny, I spent so many years trying to conform to society trends and felt utterly miserable, now I just don't give a sod, I am who I am and anyone who does not like the way I am , well, I remember that great quote by Quincy Jones that sums my feelings about that perfectly!
"Not one drop of my self-worth depends on your acceptance of me".

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this a fairly new terminology Mitch, I left the UK in 1999 and I have no idea what a U or non U is, ".
Well this is a pretty jokey thread but the 'U or Non-U' concept has been around for half a century or more.

Some Herberts actually took it fairly seriously at one time.

Mitch

·
Registered
4,619 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I think the willingness to wear a crazy yellow G-Shock at a posh function either makes you down right eccentric or just a non egotistical, non pretentious top rate chap who deserves respect for having the conviction of his own volition! Well done!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I disagree, you're 'non-U'. You didn't wear it!!

The upper classes are renowned for their eccentricities, so wouldn't bat an eyelid at wearing a flourescent yellow watch. 'non-U's want to be 'U's. So they'd wear something expensive looking (in their eyes at least).

Next time: wear the G. If it doesn't fit under the dress shirt, roll the sleeve up. Or, wear it outside your clothes. The other diners will assume you are either an eccentric millionaire, or in-bred nobility. Wear a Rolex homage, and you will be seen as vulgar and distinctly non-U.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I disagree, you're 'non-U'. You didn't wear it!!

Well, actually I did wear it for a period.

However, there is no doubt I am working class by all classic definitions, born into a two up two down house etc etc.

I kind of drifted into academia and my daughter has followed and is also at Oxford currently.

I am definately Non-U and proud of it.

I am definately G-U though and think I am bonkers therefore!

Mitch

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I don't think it makes you a U or a Non U.

I think it simply makes you a watch geek.
How many people carry a "spare" watch"....................I do.:-!

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
I like when someone wears a G-Shock in a so-called formal event. :-!

This guy is the Mayor of the city I live in. Can someone identify the G-Shock he's wearing?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

Mitch
Did your Fifa get all diry with makeup and lipstick from the bottom of her purse?

Id cringe if my GF threw one of my colored G's in the bottom of her funky purse!!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I don't think it makes you a U or a Non U.

I think it simply makes you a watch geek.
How many people carry a "spare" watch"....................I do.:-!

Deacon you carry a spare watch dalily ? or on a trip. i have had only one watch let me down crystal cracked about 25 years ago only had it a couple of days. i have been wearing mostly g's or diver type watches since b-) guess im a W. G. :-d :-d

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Did your Fifa get all diry with makeup and lipstick from the bottom of her purse?

Id cringe if my GF threw one of my colored G's in the bottom of her funky purse!!
my wife said my yellow fifa looked like it came out of a ceral box. does not stop me from wearing it though. i like it :-!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Deacon you carry a spare watch dalily ? or on a trip. i have had only one watch let me down crystal cracked about 25 years ago only had it a couple of days. i have been wearing mostly g's or diver type watches since b-) guess im a W. G. :-d :-d
I wouldn't say "every day". Some days I stay home so I don't have to carry them with me........b-).

But yes, frequently I will carry an extra depending on what I've got planned after work or later during the day.............I know "watch geek".

1 - 20 of 43 Posts