WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
realy sick about it, but just did the unthinkable a few minutes ago....after showering with u1, i dropped it on tile floor from 3-4 ft, it landed on crown side, slight indent on case, not concerned about that.
watch seems to be running fine, pulled out crown, wound it, changed date, etc.
should i be concerned or watch out for anything in the next few hours?

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,125 Posts
realy sick about it, but just did the unthinkable a few minutes ago....after showering with u1, i dropped it on tile floor from 3-4 ft, it landed on crown side, slight indent on case, not concerned about that.
watch seems to be running fine, pulled out crown, wound it, changed date, etc.
should i be concerned or watch out for anything in the next few hours?
The results of a fall are difficult to predict. The watch might be
all right. In another fall it might take a hit. I suggest holding the
watch in different orientations to check that it doesn't stop, for
example, when face down. Then monitor the timekeeping. It
seems you dodged the bullet, but if the movement were affected
a watchmaker could fix it.

I try to be careful, but every once in a while the strap catches on
the buckle or something slips. I make a conscious effort to put a
watch on my wrist or take it off only with a soft surface not too far
below.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I'd watch for 24 hours how the watch runs, if it appears to run normally and accuracy is not too badly affected, you should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
24 hour update....watch seems to be running slower than normal, haven't monitored seconds to 24 hours time frame, but she seems to be running slower.
Other news is that i can hear something inside the watch case moving when i handle it or move it around..kind of like the sound of something spinning (forgive my ignorance in movements).
So I'm thinking the fall did indeed jar something loose inside?? Any thoughts??

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
24 hour update....watch seems to be running slower than normal, haven't monitored seconds to 24 hours time frame, but she seems to be running slower.
Other news is that i can hear something inside the watch case moving when i handle it or move it around..kind of like the sound of something spinning (forgive my ignorance in movements).
So I'm thinking the fall did indeed jar something loose inside?? Any thoughts??
forgot to mention, i'm literally 35 minutes away from RGM Watches in Mt Joy PA, the recommended repair service from watchbuys..

·
Registered
739 Posts
You have to monitor it's timekeeping for at least 24 hours to access any damage. Since you are so close to RGM, that's the place to go if you discover that it needs attention.

·
Registered
652 Posts
As suggested, either time it for 24 hours to see if it is running ok, or just take it to RGM since you are so close.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I would take it in, personally. A 4ft drop to tile is a pretty big hit. I dropped a movement on a tile floor once and sheared the primary gear right off. If you are hearing noise when moving the watch that could be normal (you can usually hear a rotor moving) but if it sounds clunky then it might be off axis, bent or otherwise. It shouldn't be too big of a deal to have it looked over real quick. Any competent watch maker can look it over. It is nothing special with regard to movement or argon or such.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how is the tile floor?
it left a small mark...watch is heavy
i'm doing a 24 hour watch of the seconds lost or gained now...in the last 3 hours it has lost 1 second.
anyone know, does opening caseback affect water resistance or is it taking crystal off that affects it? i'm thinking all they will do is take off caseback to ensure all is ok??

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update, i heard from RGM and I actually dropped the watch off in person yesterday after work (only 25 min away). They were professional and courteous and said that they would put it in their repair log, 4-5 days, then email me with and estimate within two weeks. They did mention that normal time frame from drop off to pickup is 6-8 wks, dependent on the issue.
I will just wear another watch in the meantime and trust that they will do a fine job. This to me is a better alternative than shipping to Germany. Will keep everyone updated on progress.
miss my U1 already.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Final update to my U1 repair at RGM
Dropped watch off in person at RGM on Sept 4, and picked up on Oct 8th, little over a month. RGM was great and a pleasure to work with. They did email me with a wk of drop off that they had diagnosed issues and gave me repair estimate. Bottom line was when i dropped it it bent the crown stem as well as putting a small dent in watch case. so crown stem was bent as well as damaged the internal shaft of crown, both needed replaced and they had these items in stock. so they did this work, put in new seals, water tested and regulated all for $195.
As I said I picked up the watch this past Wednesday, and it looks just like I dropped it off, no issues and with their regulation, it is running spot on. Very happy with their service and work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
it left a small mark...watch is heavy
i'm doing a 24 hour watch of the seconds lost or gained now...in the last 3 hours it has lost 1 second.
anyone know, does opening caseback affect water resistance or is it taking crystal off that affects it? i'm thinking all they will do is take off caseback to ensure all is ok??
Nothing to worry for 1 sec in 3 hours, and that doesn't mean that EVERY 3 hours it will lose 1 sec. Sinn U1 is a really tough watch but as said earlier, no one can predict the results of an impact after the fall. As very well suggested, 24h monitoring or the AD which is very near to you. Sorry to hear about your accident, its every watch lover's nightmare.......

I had an ugly fall my self few weeks back, my dogs pulled me. The U1 was on my wrist, I moved dirt and asphalt ! Nothing scratched the teg. case or buckle [was on strap at the time] although was a hard fall. They are solid builds but still and once more, as very well suggested, 24h monitoring or the AD so you'll have your head in peace. Hope everything is fine with your tool.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nothing to worry for 1 sec in 3 hours, and that doesn't mean that EVERY 3 hours it will lose 1 sec. Sinn U1 is a really tough watch but as said earlier, no one can predict the results of an impact after the fall. As very well suggested, 24h monitoring or the AD which is very near to you. Sorry to hear about your accident, its every watch lover's nightmare.......

I had an ugly fall my self few weeks back, my dogs pulled me. The U1 was on my wrist, I moved dirt and asphalt ! Nothing scratched the teg. case or buckle [was on strap at the time] although was a hard fall. They are solid builds but still and once more, as very well suggested, 24h monitoring or the AD so you'll have your head in peace. Hope everything is fine with your tool.
with RGM's regulation, the watch is running perfect, +/- 0 seconds for the last few days. thanks for response

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Crown and winding stem seem to be the parts that take the brunt of a fall like this.
Luckily, movements are rarely affected; but at $195 it was an expensive experience nevertheless.

Still, you have your peace of mind now and that nagging feeling in the back of your mind that some damage has been done to the movement has hopefully gone away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Not to make light of an event that would have upset me but compare your post to Timothy Patrick's. Perhaps you need harsher weather or an U2. That guy treated his Sinn watch worse than a G-shock that was a gift from an ex-wife ad it is still going. Glad all ended well.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'm really suprised it received any damage. I had a U1 years ago that got stepped on in hiking boots, dropped on the floor, kicked down a hallway and a whole lot more and never sustained a single scratch, dent, or issue. Yes, this was years ago when I thought it was fun to mix whiskey and watches and chase zombies. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts