WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can see on the pics why. The speck of dust on the second hand and the lume on the hands is not reaching all the edges. I adapted the photo with photoshop so that you can clearly see the lume.

It takes 8 weeks to get it back, much more than the 2.5 weeks when my 756 needed to go back

·
Registered
867 Posts
You can see on the pics why. The speck of dust on the second hand and the lume on the hands is not reaching all the edges. I adapted the photo with photoshop so that you can clearly see the lume.
In the states we would call this a "nit pick". Sending a watch back for this is silly, IMHO.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the states we would call this a "nit pick". Sending a watch back for this is silly, IMHO.
I really dont care if i am nitpicking. I paid a lot of money for this watch and for that money it should be perfect.
Now i know that the dust is there, i am noticing it all the time....

In the Netherlands we call this "quality control"

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Hi Tom.

Sorry to hear that your U1's quality control is a mite bit substandard. I can understand completely how are not happy with the little imperfections on your watch and I know how maddening something under the crystal can make you feel.

I tend to look at the U series of watches as more of a professional series. These watches, as I have mentioned in previous threads were designed to be introduced and used in the most adverse, severe climactic conditions and under the most abusive circumstances. The U1 crystal because of it's flat and slightly thinner nature is a bit more susceptible to failure upon severe blows than the U2's but it is, nonetheless, a superbly designed, robust, industrial like time piece.

As is virtually the case for all products manufactured for extreme use(s), absolute perfect visual presentation was not at the forefront of the designing and planning team. Much more time and effort was spent in developing and testing and perfecting the technical aspects of the product which will help the product survive and do what it is meant to do in these severe conditions. Some attention to detail was given and a certain style was designed in for mass appeal as long as it didn't take away from the real purpose of it's design and existence and it's mission statement.

That being said, it probably wouldn't be too much to ask of Sinn to have specks of dust removed and a better lume job as this can be considered unacceptable, especially for the price of the unit, but to me, I wouldn't really be put off by this too much. I am more of a quick glance at the time kind of guy. I tend not to stare at my watch as much as I used to. I've had my U2 for almost a year now and my UX since the end of August and I now just throw it on as when it's not there, especially my close companion, the U2, it just doesn't feel right. Like going out in the winter in -30 without something on your head. I have stared at and glanced so much at my u series watches now that it's just a quick glance for the time. They have now become constant companions and less classy jewellery. I am lucky I guess in the fact that I probably wouldn't notice a speck of dust under the crystal and slight edge lume imperfections.

Hopefully you will find that if you are really liking your U1, this will happen to you and you will not be so worried about the smaller things when this baby is strapped on your wrist, just happy that you have such a well designed super robust watch on. But I know how hard it can be to find satisfaction with your watches if you demand absolute perfection. You will probably have a hard time on this as it's pretty well known that no watch is 100% perfect with 100% detail perfection. Hopefully for you Sinn can address these issues and your watch will be returned to you as close to perfect as possible.

Best of luck with your customer service experience and if it isn't too much of a request, could you drop a line or two every once in a while with an update on the progress and the c/s experience so far. This would be of benefit for those who will most likely be running into a service of their watches in Germany in the near future.

take care,
Tim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tom,
I understand your predicament. I would call it quality control issues too.
Mine was sent back due to some issues on the bezel, and the hands as per my forum posting.
My replacement U1 should be on the way back soon.

All the best in getting your U1 issues sorted out. Its still a nice watch though.. :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Small update:

My dealer gave me two solutions:

1: I would get a UPS voucher from Sinn and they will repair it.
2: I need to sent it to my dealer and i will receive a brand new one. He'll take care of the rest..

Guess what option i chose ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great! glad you got that resolved. I for one would call that unacceptable for a watched marketed at professional use. For a brand thats marketed on the values of technical brillance/innovation.. good QC/service recovery is a must to maintain a good rep

1 - 8 of 8 Posts