WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am on the hunt for a rubber replacement strap for my U1. I am in North America, and need only the strap, my sinn buckle is in great shape.

Page and Cooper won't ship Sinn to the U.S.

Watch Buys, is perfectly willing to sell me a strap and buckle for the bargain price of $250-$350, but I only need the strap. They are unwilling to sell only a strap, saying they have none separate in stock to sell. (which I find to be B.S., but in line with their usual "customer service" reputation)

Is there ANYONE else who will sell me a strap in the U.S.? Admittedly I have not tried Sinn direct, mostly because I have heard their shipping charges are tough to swallow.

Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
Unless you find a private seller, WatchBuys is the only source in the USA. Maybe post a WTB ad or frequently check the auction sites.

Maybe a buddie here on the board can purchase one for you in person; We seem to have members going there every few months. I wish there was a trustable "Shopping list" here where members can put their miscellaneous needs on for the next person travelling there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I guess a WTB is the next step. Incredibly frustrating that watch buys is the only US source. The bad taste in my mouth from the service experience I just recieved from them has made me determined to find a different place to get a strap.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I have had nothing but great service from WatchBuys. I find it ridiculous that you would expect them to separate a strap from the clasp just to sell you a strap. It's pretty clear, you can either buy a complete strap with clasp or you can buy a clasp. That would be like going to Ford, GM or Chrysler and asking them to sell you one of their cars sans the engine because you have your own engine that you want to put in it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have had nothing but great service from WatchBuys. I find it ridiculous that you would expect them to separate a strap from the clasp just to sell you a strap. It's pretty clear, you can either buy a complete strap with clasp or you can buy a clasp. That would be like going to Ford, GM or Chrysler and asking them to sell you one of their cars sans the engine because you have your own engine that you want to put in it.
Other WUSer's have reported being able to buy just the strap from WB in the past ($130 in 2006 dollars).

Saleen had V6 Mustangs drop-shipped from Ford, only to disassemble them and drop in their own motor and suspension for their S351. Granted, they did have to buy the entire V6 from Ford only to trash the entire drivetrain, so I guess your "that would be like..." example still holds true...but...just saying... :) Makes me wonder if any of the auto manufacturers ever sold rolling chassis to anyone before? Guess that's another topic...for another forum?! ;)

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Other WUSer's have reported being able to buy just the strap from WB in the past ($130 in 2006 dollars).

Saleen had V6 Mustangs drop-shipped from Ford, only to disassemble them and drop in their own motor and suspension for their S351. Granted, they did have to buy the entire V6 from Ford only to trash the entire drivetrain, so I guess your "that would be like..." example still holds true...but...just saying... :) Makes me wonder if any of the auto manufacturers ever sold rolling chassis to anyone before? Guess that's another topic...for another forum?! ;)
Well...neither company rolls that way now. I can see it now, WB sells only the strap to a number of folk leaving them with clasps that they are unable to sell because Sinn doesn't allow a clasp to be sold unless they are packaged that way from Sinn.

Umm, WB? I'd like to buy a Sinn U1...but only watch head. Yeah... I've got my own strap that I really like and am not really all that excited about the strap that comes on the watch.

Or,

Hey, WB, do you think you can sell me only the left side of the strap? Yeah, that's right...only the left side. Why? Oh, I cut the left side of my strap too short and it doesn't fit right now. Sure...we'll get right on that.

That's a great business strategy.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Umm, WB? I'd like to buy a Sinn U1...but only watch head. Yeah... I've got my own strap that I really like and am not really all that excited about the strap that comes on the watch.
I bet Matt has had that conversation with a customer already. :)

I hope WB still has the strap-only option, and that they are just out of strap-only inventory. I wanted to try out their green strap, but if I have to pay for another clasp too, they aren't getting any cheddar from me (at least for rubber straps).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats nice you have had great service from them, I have been less than impressed. I find it rediculous that you think the staps only come from sinn with a buckle attached to them. what I'm asking for is not as outrageous as you seem determined to make it out to be.

Page and Cooper sells Black, red and green versions of said strap seperate, so your car analogy is well....wrong.

Im not asking for half a strap, watch head only, or any of the other asinine scenarios you have come up with. Your stance reminds me of the thread where watch buys advised a customer to sell their non SDR u1 and buy a new SDR version from them because they couldn't get them an SDR bezel seperate. I bet you agree with them there too even though sinn will gladly sell a bezel separately.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
You can buy just the strap from Sinn IF you are Europe. We had a group buy of the straps in all the colors for USA WUS members a while back.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm a Sinn fan so take it for what its worth.

We are talking parts here...there is no reason why WB won't carry the replacement rubber straps instead of making folks buy bracelet plus clasp. Sinn in Germany sells them that way so that buying option exists.

Maybe there is some compelling reason why WB won't do it, but I don't understand.

Perhaps there isn't enough competition for Watchbuys to compel them to expand their sku's and carry them.

If I want a new strap from Omega, I can just buy the strap and not the clasp or vice versa...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Op - Id say write to Sunn and explain.

Two - is it possible that WB said they didn't have it but you could order? I'm not surprised of people's reaction to their customer service. It's good (define good) when you buy a watch but when you are the only seller in the country that is not conducive to good service.

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Sinn HQ sells straps without clasps, so why it is ridiculous to expect their AD to do the same? :think:
Because, when contacted, WatchBuys indicates that they don't. That is their prerogative. In other words...they don't "have" to do it. That would like me being outraged that WatchBuys won't just sell me a watch head because that's all I want. That is not their business plan.

My initial response was based on the outrage of the OP. Outrage and obvious hostility. WatchBuys has a business plan that they are following in which they don't sell straps without clasps. The OP goes on a rant impugning the customer service of WatchBuys and how dare they not sell him a strap without the clasp. I am not impressed with outrageous posts based on the fact that the poster isn't getting what he/she wants. It's akin to a temper tantrum and really not acceptable for an adult.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I just asked last week:
My guess is that you asked WatchBuys in an adult manner - pleasant and cordial. Based on the OP's original post, he was either unable to adequately communicate what he wanted to WatchBuys or was immediately hostile to whoever he spoke with at WatchBuys.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I purchased a black rubber strap for my UX just last week from WB for $90 plus shipping, and purchased red strap about a year ago same price. They were very accommodating and wascat my doorstep 3 days later. I did not get the impression they were doing anything special for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts