WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I've narrowed it down to these two models. Will the 857 hold up as well as the u1 or would it surpass it in toughness and durability. Just wondering if anyone has put these watches through the paces

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
39,227 Posts
The 857 is Tegimented to 1500 vickers and is said to be 6 times harder than untreated 316L. In comparison Sinn Sub Steel is only 1.55 times harder than 316L. Of course you can now get the U1 fully Tegimented which would make this comparison a total wash.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi there,
I am wearing u1t 15 hrs./day and do not miss my 856 at all. Nowadays, the "time only" watch is the statement - you don't really need a chronograph or a GMT unless you just want one. You seems like a practical person and will compare 857 and u2 with toughness and durability. If so, and money is no issue, then u1 is superior than 857. You can use the money for the Tegimented case rather than a GMT function. Just my two cents. Hope that help. Cheers.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
No first hand experience in these models, and it seems a tough choice:

U1 sub.steel <> 857 Tegimented steel
U1 solid bezel <> 857 aluminium insert
U1 100 bar resistant <> 857 up to 20 bar
U1 no magnetic field protection <> 857 up to 80,000 A/m

I'd say they both survive everything you do, and even more. Choose the one that pleases your eye the most, a modern diver or an instrument pilot. Or follow the usual WUS answer; "get them both". :-d

Good luck in decision making!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I was in the same place as you a few weeks back. My criteria was a bit different, which I assume you know by reading the thread I posted. I am not sure what you like to do when you say 'hard use'. If you plan to use them normally, either one holds up well, much better than other watches....tegimented ones better than non-teg. In case you are looking for a watch to double as an occasional hammer - U1 is the way to go. In all seriousness....give some thought to what you currently have, what you are looking for, and where you will be wearing this watch. U1 to me is very unique and has an understated quality as opposed to one that screams for attention. 857 is similar too, but not as subdued. If you do not want a chrono, go with U1. If a chrono is must, 857 it is. I know everyone says this but its true - you can't go wrong with either!!!

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
I was in the same place as you a few weeks back. My criteria was a bit different, which I assume you know by reading the thread I posted. I am not sure what you like to do when you say 'hard use'. If you plan to use them normally, either one holds up well, much better than other watches....tegimented ones better than non-teg. In case you are looking for a watch to double as an occasional hammer - U1 is the way to go. In all seriousness....give some thought to what you currently have, what you are looking for, and where you will be wearing this watch. U1 to me is very unique and has an understated quality as opposed to one that screams for attention. 857 is similar too, but not as subdued. If you do not want a chrono, go with U1. If a chrono is must, 857 it is. I know everyone says this but its true - you can't go wrong with either!!!
857 is a GMT (ETA 2893-2).

I love my 857 fully tegimented. its 1mm smaller and approx. 2mm thinner than the U1, its one the most comfortable watches i've ever
strapped on. The watch is over 2years old and i'm the second owner and i still can't find a scratch on. I love the U1 and might even
own one myself one day... maybe? I know one thing though... never a shortage of U1's in the used sales forums, so you don't have
to look far to find one.

·
Sinn Moderator
9,806 Posts
As a U1 owner (reg U1 and U1 SDR) I'm thinking the 857 is my next Sinn. That is one fine looking watch. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
No first hand experience in these models, and it seems a tough choice:

U1 sub.steel <> 857 Tegimented steel
U1 solid bezel <> 857 aluminium insert
U1 100 bar resistant <> 857 up to 20 bar
U1 no magnetic field protection <> 857 up to 80,000 A/m

I'd say they both survive everything you do, and even more. Choose the one that pleases your eye the most, a modern diver or an instrument pilot. Or follow the usual WUS answer; "get them both". :-d

Good luck in decision making!
According to Sinn the U1 does have some magnetic field protection. " This special steel is also amagnetic which means that is does not have magnetic properties and cannot itself become magnetized. The watch movement itself is protected from magnetic fields up to 4,800 A/m."

I love my U1. The 857 is the only other Sinn that I lust over.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have both.... i use the 857 for work, and the u1 on days off.... am happy with both, there are days i don't know which one to use :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
For hard use, the U1 with the regular bezel is probably the best choice. However, bezels can be replaced...
I guess the real problem is that you want both :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts