WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe some of you remember my thread from march/april this year - back then I had some problems with my U2 as the rotor of the movement was making some noise

well, once i got the U2 back, wasn't only very happy with my U2 which was running perfectly at +3s/24hrs (at its max) and made no noise at all anymore, but also with the superb Service provided by Sinn.

well, now it's December and guess what - yeah, my U2 is making some funny noise again. again it's the rotor, but this time even louder and, and that really alarms me, clanking and rattleing...

already mailed the guy in Frankfurt and i have to admit, they are doing a great job. Got a reply within a couple of hours, and again they are really friendly.
the bad thing - i have to send my U2 in again, and they'll have to take another look at it.

not sure how long it's going to take until i have it back - but actually i don't even care how long it takes, as long as i get back a Sinn U2 which doesn't have to sent back to Frankfurt every once in a while because the rotor and the movement are making funny noises.

otherwise watch out for a U2 on sale...

·
Registered
46 Posts
My rotor also makes a noise although I don't know if this is abnormal.
It sounds as if something is loose inside. This noise has been there since I purchased it and I have to admit I don't like it all. A funny sound that does not instill confidence.
I would like to know from all Sinn owners if they can hear their rotor spinning and if so please describe the sound.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that you can hear the rotor and movement is nothing special - that's know and absolutely normal (to a certain extent)

but in my case there are two things that do disturb me
  • the noise and even more so the clanking
  • the U2 was running at a very constant +3s/24hrs - since the noise is back the U2 is running at minus 2-4s/24hrs. this doesn't really happen overnight or within 2 or 3 days...
so it's all back to Sinn. if they can't find anything - that's fine with me, than it's me who's overreacting. still, i think there's something wrong...

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Stefan, sorry to hear that. :-(

Can you remind us of the diagnosis when the U2 had to go to Sinn the first time? Loose rotor, or did Sinn give you a different cause of the problem then?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stefan, sorry to hear that. :-(

Can you remind us of the diagnosis when the U2 had to go to Sinn the first time? Loose rotor, or did Sinn give you a different cause of the problem then?
well, Sinn checked the U2 back then and told me - everything ok with the wacth

they checked the rotor and the movement and fine-adjusted the watch

when i got it back, i still could hear the rotor, but at a very normal and appropriate level...

the cost of the first service would have been some 95,- EUR (already including the AR filling) so nothing serrous could have been broken....

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Thanks for the report Stefan.

That's really disturbing. A freshly serviced movement should not be experiencing the same problems as what it was repaired for. Very unacceptable. I'm glad that there is a good relationship between you and the Sinn customer service reps and that they are taking the necessary steps to get this rectified asap but the fact of the matter is, like you said, that you should be able to depend on your very expensive super tough diver watch to last longer than nine months. Maybe you should ask for a brand new movement.

Very unacceptable. Hope this time around it's a permanent fix.

regards,
Tim

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have been informed by Hour Glass that my U2 returning from Germany will be back home safe and sound from after X'mas.

I just hope that it does not returns with such rotor problems, otherwise, it will be another trip to Frankfurt :-D

Tim, for indo, it tok approximately 3 months for Sinn to service a watch- U2 B-)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been informed by Hour Glass that my U2 returning from Germany will be back home safe and sound from after X'mas.

I just hope that it does not returns with such rotor problems, otherwise, it will be another trip to Frankfurt :-D

Tim, for indo, it tok approximately 3 months for Sinn to service a watch- U2 B-)
wow - 3 months that's something!

when i sent it in the first time i had i back exactly 3 weeks after sending it in!!!

so i hope that Sinn is as quick as they were the last time and that i get my U2 back somewhen around the end of January. but hey, they only have to send it to Austria - some 500km from Frankfurt

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so there are the first news from Frankfurt concerning my U2:

the rotor does make some noise, but it's within the limits and therefore everything is ok with the watch.

Still, as I am sending in my U2 for the second time now and as the U2 went from a very constant +2s/24hrs to a minus2-4s/24hrs within a couple of days, Sinn is changing the ball-bearings of the movement and is also readjusting the winder-automatic.

than of course it's refilling the Ar and readjusting the movement, so i guess it's going to take another 3 weeks, until i get the U2 back - but that's not problem.

Again, I really want to stress that the service and the people who got in contact with me are absolutely great, very friendly and 100% forthcoming!

|> for Sinn on this point!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Stefan, sorry to hear about your U2. Mine has been perfect since its return from Frankfurt.

Wish you well on your U2.

U are right, the Sinn staff have been very helpful even when it is their busiest period of the year, |>

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and it goes on and on and on

what can i say....

the good news - i've got my U2 back from the second service yesterday.

the bad news:
just read on...

put the U2 back on my wrist yesterday afternoon. everything was ok and the U2 was doing what it's supposed to do - showing the time.

today in the morning (after a meeting) i checked the U2 (just wanted to know what time it is) - and what did i see
the U2 stopped at 07:39:37

ok, as the reserve is 0 after a service and i've been wearing the U2 only for a couple of hours (and there was a full night in between), i just corrected the time.

but - at 10:55:37 the U2 stopped again and again at 37 seconds.
wanted to adjust the time again (i am not giving up that easily) but the secong hand simply wouldn't move (after setting the time).
even after a manual wind, the second hand didn't move at all - no more movement from this movement...

so i called frankfurt and appologized for being on the line again. told them the problem - got back the watch, stopped running, not it's not doing anything

the guy on the other end was really very nice (the same who had to put up with me on the prior occassions) and offered me the following:
unfortunately i have to send the U2 to Frankfurt again :-(
but as there seems to be sth wrong with the movement and my U2 "visited" Frankfurt already twice, Sinn is going to replace the movement with a new one.

i then told him that this is great and thanked him, and just "complained" that again i have to pay quite some money for transport, and again i am without my U2.
he then offered me a pick-up service (which is normaly only provided within Germany) and also told me that the stay of my U2 in Frankfurt will be kept as short as possible.

conclusion:
the Sinn Service is top, never seen anything like this before :gold

the U2 is a real disappointment for me - at least for now. let's see what happens next

and the biggest problem:
after some 20 minutesthe U2 came back to life and is running just fine right now. so i am in a dilema - gonna send it back and have the movement replaced. and making a fool of me if it turns out that the "original" movement is just fine.
or keeping the U2 as it is and hope that it won't stop again....

let's wait and see till tomorrow and then decide...

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Re: and it goes on and on and on

Sorry to hear that, Stefan. .-(

When my 656 went in for the crown tube exchange (the initial production models had a weak screw-down mechanism which was/is being replaced by Sinn, and was upgraded for later production series), I had to go back three times until everything was right again.

I was greatly miffed at the time, but now - with a little distance to the events - I must say that Sinn did an excellent job of treating the watch so well that one cannot tell that it has been opened repeatedly. Not sure that every service department can say the same thing. Not to mention that eventually the problems were fixed, and the watch is functionally and optically like new.

P.S.: I would vote to have the movement replaced ... if your watzch stopped all of a sudden, it can happen again. You'll never be sure unless the movement is exchanged.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

P.S.: I would vote to have the movement replaced ... if your watzch stopped all of a sudden, it can happen again. You'll never be sure unless the movement is exchanged.
that's what i would vote for too.
still, i don't want to over-strain the Service of Sinn.

probably i'l do it like that:
wait till friday and see what the U2 is doing. if it stops again it's going back to Frankfurt for the movement being replaced.
it it's running just fine till friday and doesn't show any weird "behavior" then that's just it and i'll take it that everything is fine.

the guys at Sinn are just amazing - i don't want to end on their "black list" (and i know what i am talking about, because sometimes i put people whi really get on my nerves on my black list as well ;) )

·
Registered
80 Posts
Same sound problem with my 856s

I just found this thread and want to say that my 856s (same movement) is on its way to Frankfurt because of a strange noise from the rotor mechanism that I do not hear from my other watches. It is hard to describe, a bit of clickering, some sound of a loose part, something like that. Funktion was always OK, gaining a few seconds per day, no toher problems.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
It sounds like the Odyssey to me Stefan, and just like then, you hopefully found your Ithaca. :) But excuse my ignorance on this, I'd like to ask you or Martin, if you return the watch for movement replacement, how would you know it's been replaced?? :-s

·
Registered
867 Posts

and the biggest problem:
after some 20 minutesthe U2 came back to life and is running just fine right now. so i am in a dilema - gonna send it back and have the movement replaced. and making a fool of me if it turns out that the "original" movement is just fine.
or keeping the U2 as it is and hope that it won't stop again....

let's wait and see till tomorrow and then decide...
There are been a lot of reports of the past year of similar problems with the ETA 2893-2 movement used in both the Sinn 856 and Sinn U2. I have personally experienced the same problem with a U2.

Right now, I'd have to give Sinn a failing grade for not addressing this quality issue with the ETA 2893-2. Whether it's defective parts from ETA or it's something Sinn is doing to damage the movement during installation, Sinn has a quality control issue with this movemnet in the 856 and U2.

I would avoid both of these products from Sinn in the used and new markets until Sinn gets this corrected.

I have lost a lot of confidence in Sinn over the past year. :-(

However, the one movement from Sinn that I have not seen much trouble reported with is the in the Valjoux 7750. I'm happy with my 103 St Sa in many regards.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I But excuse my ignorance on this, I'd like to ask you or Martin, if you return the watch for movement replacement, how would you know it's been replaced?? :-s
well, I guess you would have to take the word of Sinn that they've replaced the movement and put in a new one.

personally i wouldn't have a problem with that and I would rely on the word of Sinn.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
well, I guess you would have to take the word of Sinn that they've replaced the movement and put in a new one.

personally i wouldn't have a problem with that and I would rely on the word of Sinn.
I don't think I would have reason to distrust Sinn to tell the truth.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I had my U2 sent for servicing and returned to me now for about 3 weeks or more.

Initially it was running a little slow every day but somehow, with constant wearing, the timing is NOW perfect. Very Happy indeed with Sinn and its customer/repair service. :-!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so her the latest and probably last news on this one:

some 20-30 minutes after i called Sinn and we agreed that the movement is being replaced i checked the U2 again, and what did i see - the Sinn came back to live (as mentioned in my previous post already)

i've been wearing the Sinn since then and what can I say.
so far the U2 is doing exactly what it's supposed to do - keeping the time
right now it's a bit slow, 2-4s/d minus, but i hope and guess that this will change once the watch is running for a longer time.

as i don't want to get on Sinn's nerves too much i sent them a mail today and told them that i am not going to send the U2 in again and that i think that for the moment the "old" movement is doing just fine.
if these problems come back again i can send in the watch at a later stage.

anyway - now the U2 is keeping the time and i hope that everything is ok for the next 2-3 years

again "chapeau" for the guy in Frankfurt - extremly friendly and top service.
that doesn't make me forget what happend to my Sinn (two services within one year) but it makes me rememeber that the Sinn Service is state-of-the-art and you don't have to worry once you send your Sinn to Frankfurt....

thread closed...at least for now

1 - 20 of 20 Posts