WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably wishful thinking on my part, but I'm trying to guess what the price of the GW-5000-1JF will cost if it is released in the UK. Taking Seiya's prices for the following watches, this is what I think:-

GW-M5600BC-1JF from Seiya = $237
UK RRP = £130
UK prices from various websites = Range from £80, to £105

GW-5000-1JF from Seiya = $356
Therefore, my best guess is:-
UK RRP = £195.00 (similiar to the lower prices when buying direct from Japan and applying the currency conversion).
UK prices from various websites = Range from £120, to £160

I'm still fairly new to G-shocks and I don't know Casio's history on deciding what models the UK gets and what prices they decide to give these models to us for.

So is there anyone out there with more experience than me, (or maybe some inside knowledge), that can say when / if this model will be released into the UK?

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I feel it won't come here, but I could be mistaken. Your speculative pricing looks about right.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
certainly i've done the same calculations before... it's just guessing but i don't think the gw-5000 will be released outside of japan. it seems the most premium casios watches stay local.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll give it until the New Year, as I'm trying to resist buying any new watches until then. If it still hasn't come to the UK, I'll buy it from one of the japan websites.

I think Chino Watch is the cheapest at $318. Anyone used him before?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'd say £195 feels right but it's been a while now since release and no show as yet. I imported both the GW-5000 and GW-5000B from Japan as I felt they were unlikely to get a UK release.

Incidentally the band and bezel for the GW-5000B is already flagged up as discontinued at Casio.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Incidentally the band and bezel for the GW-5000B is already flagged up as discontinued at Casio.
this is where i would put the emoticon of the dude with bug eyes blinking very slowly... :think::-s

she's a beauty:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Worldtime, I see in the DST thread that you have a Seiko SBPG001. This is on my list of watches to get and I might even hint to the missus to get me one for Christmas before I get a 5000.

What's it like compared to the 5000? I love the quality of the 5000 from the photos that I have seen and it has a few more functions than the SBPG001, but I would still like the Seiko as I want a good quality solar / atomic metal digital watch.

I know that I will be happy buying a 5000, as I'm in love with the 5000/5600 design and want a modern screw back, but I'm not too sure about the SBPG001 at the moment.

The things that I guess I am a bit concerned about is buying a digital watch of this value that is made in China (probably just me being silly) and not knowing exactly how solid / well made the watch feels (not something you can tell when buying over the internet). So, is it worth the money?

·
Registered
82 Posts
So, is it worth the money?
IMHO is the SBPG001 worth the money but a watch-design with the crystal on the highest point on the watch requires a sapphire crystal. Unfortunately is the market for expensive digital watches very small and therefore the competition poor :roll:

In place of the existing 300.- $ SBPG001 I'd rather pay 500.- $ for a (yet non existing) SBPG002 with sapphire crystal, screwed back and Made in Japan :-!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I think Chino Watch is the cheapest at $318. Anyone used him before?
Yes, I have used Chino with great success. One of the easiest to work with and fastest as well. I've done a few transactions with them and could not be happier. They are excellent when it comes to all aspects of the purchase. If I place my order on a Sunday
, the watch arrives here in the USA by Wed or Thursday.
Cheers...
posted via BlackBerry Bold

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Worldtime, I see in the DST thread that you have a Seiko SBPG001. This is on my list of watches to get and I might even hint to the missus to get me one for Christmas before I get a 5000.

What's it like compared to the 5000? I love the quality of the 5000 from the photos that I have seen and it has a few more functions than the SBPG001, but I would still like the Seiko as I want a good quality solar / atomic metal digital watch.

I know that I will be happy buying a 5000, as I'm in love with the 5000/5600 design and want a modern screw back, but I'm not too sure about the SBPG001 at the moment.

The things that I guess I am a bit concerned about is buying a digital watch of this value that is made in China (probably just me being silly) and not knowing exactly how solid / well made the watch feels (not something you can tell when buying over the internet). So, is it worth the money?
The watch is a heavy very well made piece with a chunky bracelet that feels and looks substantial on the wrist, it does not disappoint. It is a pleasure to use too.

The made in Japan/China issue makes no difference to the quality and only hardcore collectors would have a problem with it. Well worth the money, and maybe you can get one even cheaper on the sales forum here (like I did).

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the additional thoughts on the SBPG001 guys. I think that it is one of those watches that I want / don't want depending upon my mood. I love the idea of a Seiko digital, but this is the first one for a while and doesn't quite tick all the boxes, so unless I see one at a great price, I think that I wil pass on it.

The GW-5000 on the other hand really does feels like the ultimate 5000/5600 model to me, so I will definitely get one of these soon.

I'm a real thinker when it comes to buying things. I never rush into it and it normally takes me about a month to fully research and decide what to buy. This forum is becoming a great place to help me make my decisions on which watch to buy next and help me spend my money though.:-!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
The GW-5000 on the other hand really does feels like the ultimate 5000/5600 model to me, so I will definitely get one of these soon.
Great choice! This is a very fine watch.

About the only caution I have for you, is to measure your wrist size. According to Seiya himself, the maximum is 200mm. If your wrist is larger than that, it will not fit you. In addition a longer strap is _not_ an option, as they only make replacements in the same size. This is a standard Casio practice.

Cheers... ;-)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

About the only caution I have for you, is to measure your wrist size. According to Seiya himself, the maximum is 200mm. If your wrist is larger than that, it will not fit you. In addition a longer strap is _not_ an option, as they only make replacements in the same size. This is a standard Casio practice.

Cheers... ;-)
Thanks for the heads up. I should be okay though, as my wrist is about 7 1/2 inches. Besides, I was thinking of putting it on my GW-M5600BC bracelet, then doing something different with the GW-M5600BC.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Cheers... ;-)

You always have the option of buying the composite bracelet and fitting that to the
watch if you have very large wrists.... Even if the bracelet doesn't fit, you
can buy another one and just add as many links as you want, handy if
your pet Elephant likes to know the exact time.... :-!

Cheers,
Rico.

·
Registered
398 Posts

I own both and I really like the Seiko but I wear the Casio more often. The Seiko buttons are easier to push and it fits better under a shirt sleeve but I like the water resistance of the Casio. As far as the quality of the Seiko I feel that it is worth every cent. Here are some photos if you are interested-

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=317592

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I should be okay though, as my wrist is about 7 1/2 inches. Besides, I was thinking of putting it on my GW-M5600BC bracelet, then doing something different with the GW-M5600BC.
My wrist is 7.5" and I have had no problems with the GW-5000 on either the strap or the GW-M5600BC bracelet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts