WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 15 years or so of 'collecting' Accurist watches I'm now 'into' Seiko and Citizen timepieces.

Not so long ago I bought an SKX007 from a seller in the far-east and was extremely happy with the watch, customer service etc.

I've spotted another Seiko on sale with CW that I've been after for quite a while.

I've sent them a couple of emails asking which shipping method their UK buyers prefer so I can 'follow the herd' but their response has been to inform me that tax and duties are my responsibility, which is an answer to a different question.

I think the shipping options are DHL or Royal Mail and I'd probably opt for Royal Mail.

What experiences have other UK buyers had with CW's shipping?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
41,253 Posts
With either method you are liable for import VAT. Sometimes it may not get charged, but you really need to budget for it either way.

With Royal Mail, if they charge you import VAT they will typically hold it for a week in customs while they calculate what 20% is, and then send you a letter telling you how to pay.

With DHL the process is likely to be much swifter.

·
Premium Member
79,684 Posts
CW shipping is red hot then it goes into customs and they use the slowest snail they can find to let you know that there is duty to pay so if you want the watch PDQ keep an eye on the tracking and you can pay the duty before you get the letter about it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All things considered I think I'll give it a miss from CW this time and wait for the UK price for the watch to fall.

For my budget, the difference between the lowest current UK price and CW's price isn't high enough esp. when factoring in the VAT and Duty risk.

Back to PriceSpy for me!

·
Registered
706 Posts
For years Creation grossly underdeclared the value of a watch on the customs form as well as using "measuring instrument" as the description. Consequently, most (if not all) watches coming into the UK got in tax free.

However, since earlier this year, they have been putting the correct value on customs declaration forms (don't know what happened to change their approach). Hence, regardless of which shipping method is chosen, it is now highly likely that a watch bought from Creation will incur Import VAT at 20% on the value of the watch plus shipping/insurance costs.

If you wish to have a look, there are a number of threads on the TZ-UK forum on this topic.

·
Registered
739 Posts
For years Creation grossly underdeclared the value of a watch on the customs form as well as using "measuring instrument" as the description. Consequently, most (if not all) watches coming into the UK got in tax free.

However, since earlier this year, they have been putting the correct value on customs declaration forms (don't know what happened to change their approach). Hence, regardless of which shipping method is chosen, it is now highly likely that a watch bought from Creation will incur Import VAT at 20% on the value of the watch plus shipping/insurance costs.

If you wish to have a look, there are a number of threads on the TZ-UK forum on this topic.
Had a look, looks like the funs days of cheap seikos from creation are over :(

·
Banned
7,508 Posts
Dear Liquidator,

There are 3 shipping methods available for United Kingdom. Please refer here:

1) DHL Express Priority Shipping with Insurance (2-4 days worldwide) (Free Shipping)
2) Royal mail (Without Watch Box, No Import Taxes, 4-5 days) (€ 7.71)
3) Registered Airmail (Without Watch Box, 10-14 days worldwide) (Free Shipping)

Please note that your country may impose customs duties and levies which you will have to bear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.