WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

After having some trouble removing the Z22 strap from my SKX007, I resolved to replace the fat Seiko springbars with some flanged/shouldered ones instead that would be easier to remove in future.

However I then came across this pearl of wisdom from Isthmus that is well worth re-iterating:

...Do not use standard springbars on seiko divers. they will be too small and will play around in the lug hole. Eventually they will score the hole and deform it.
...from this thread: https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=155415&highlight=monster+springbars :-)

The pins (my which I mean the bits that actually go into the holes in the lugs) on the 2.5mm Seiko bars are 1.1mm thick. Non-Seiko bars have pins only around 0.8mm.

So unfortunately it looks like I'm stuck with the Seiko bars, one of which has developed a peculiar click and so I'm looking to buy a replacement. Watchadoo in Australia will sell me 5 for $10 delivered, but is there anywhere closer to home that supply these (just so I get them quicker)? I can't find them at Cousins or ebay.co.uk, doesn't seem worth posting a WTB thread for such a small item.

[grumble]Drilled lugs would be nice, but given the SKX007 doesn't have these why on Earth don't the Seiko bars just have a flange to make removing them easier, like every generic bar does? o|[/grumble]

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Roy should be able to sort you out, otherwise I managed to get some genuine Seiko replacement ones from Robert Emslie in Peterhead (jeweller). He may be worth a shot. Order a dozen from ebay anyway, they're cheap and you can't have too many of the little buggers...

I decided that since I prefer to wear both my 007 and 013 on Rhinos, once they're in that's it, I treat them as fixed bars. If you can't get them out with a standard spring bar tool (at least I couldn't), use a small bladed very sharp knife to get between the lugs and the bar - very carefully...

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, hopefully RLT will have some

I decided that since I prefer to wear both my 007 and 013 on Rhinos, once they're in that's it, I treat them as fixed bars. If you can't get them out with a standard spring bar tool (at least I couldn't), use a small bladed very sharp knife to get between the lugs and the bar - very carefully...
:) Ha ha yes I found them ridiculously hard to get out. I'm told the 4mm fork on a Bergeon 6111 is the best tool to use. Although that said, I managed one myself but had to give up on the other and took it into a watch repairer who was able to whip it out on just the second attempt with a normal fork. A knife blade seems to be the next best way, I think I'll practice for a while now the bars are exposed as it's much easier...all I can say is I'd better really like the Rhino strap I've got coming for it otherwise I would have done better to leave the standard strap well alone!

Thinking about it, if one were to fit a bracelet I wonder if it would it be a good idea to put a tiny length of thin stripped copper wire into the lug-hole, to partially fill the bottom. The copper would hopefully be soft enough not to damage the case and would hold the pin just very slightly out, so the shoulder is no longer perfectly flush with the lug making it easier to get a blade in. The copper could always be retrieved with a needle, but even if it were to permanently foul the hole that might be preferable to the damage done by switching to standard bars with thinner pins, or hacking away with a knife for hours on end through tears of frustration. I don't see why the Seiko bars just don't come with flanges though.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the end I found the perfect substitute. Watchadoo also sell non-Seiko 'fat' bars with flanges that have 1.1m pins (I measure them to be slightly more, but they fit perfectly into the lug holes), 20x for $10.

They don't have the rounded ends that Seiko pins do making them stand slightly proud, but other than that are perfect replacements. They do the same bars for other lug widths too.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Check with Roy at RLT. he might be able to help you.
Does anyone have contact details for this guy?

I also saw official Seiko diver straps with official Seiko spring bars on Amazon.co.uk, however these come in a set and you can't buy them separately. If you need both it's ok, costs £19 and because they are in the UK you don't have to wait longer or pay more for delivery (compared to U.S./Asia delivery).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts