WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as many of you know I have been very vocal against the use of "GPS Watches" because they just don't have the information that is useful in most GPS applications. Some of you I believe use either the Garmin 405 or the Suunto X10 for biking.

I had some reward points from one of my credit cards, and I just purchased the Garmin Edge 705. I think THIS could be an excellent device for navigation, trip status, etc.

Check it out:

http://bike-geek.blogspot.com/2008/05/review-garmin-edge-705-part-i.html

I am already using a GPSMap 60CSx with a handlebar mount:

but I like the way the 705 seems to fit nicely over the headset of the bike. I think I may even remove my current magnetic, wireless trip computer I have and just use this device.

Also comes with a cadence sensor and heart rate belt. Altimeter rounds off the product. Only thing I wouldn't be able to do with it is track all the cool parameters I can with the T6c (TE, EPOC, etc.) but I think Garmin has software to help out with this.

Anyone else using the 705?

·
Registered
11 Posts
not sure if this is the right forum to post this..:think:

yes, im using the Edge 705. i do agree that it's still the best Bike GPS to date.

Im based in Tokyo, and using the Navigation function quite a lot (trust me, you wouldn't want to get lost in Tokyo:-d)

the 705/605 has an autolap function as well, and it's extremely useful especially if you do laps around certain loops. autolap will automatically record the Avg Speed, Max speed etc on each individual lap for your analysis later on.

for the HRM functions, i won't rely on the 705 since it doesn't come with a proper algorithm for HRM monitoring. as a road biker, im never without my trusty Polar HRM (i have both the S625X and RS800CX)

another feature is its compatibility with the ANT+ powermeters such as wireless Powertap.

FYI, battery life is approx 10hrs on the 705 (with its backlite off)

cheers

G

·
Sorry for being dense but what is that cool looking gadget attached to the stem..
Is it your 'trip computer'? (it doesn't look like any of the 705s I can find on google image)?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for being dense but what is that cool looking gadget attached to the stem..
Is it your 'trip computer'? (it doesn't look like any of the 705s I can find on google image)?
Yes, that is just my little Specialized trip computer - gives me speed, distance, avg speed, etc. I think I only paid somewhere around 40-50 bucks for it.

Debating whether to remove that, and put the new GPS in it's place, or put the GPS where the GPSMAp 60CSX currently is.

The new GPS in its place would look like this:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Some friends of mine have the 705 and have nothing but good things to say about them. I went with the 405cx because I also need the running features and as it was replacing my T6 wanted the improved HR calculation. If I just went with a bike only version for navigation, the 705 would be it. Both friends of mine do a lot of travelling/racing (one rides for Garmin- Chipotle).

The nice thing about Garmin is the Garmin Connect. Updates the unit if needed; downloads easily workout data and route data, and you can also, easily, upload routes from other users, which I find useful living next to a rather large forest and getting known trail running routes.

My 405 is also faster at picking up and holding gps signal than my X10.

I think the 705 also has a barometric pressure sensor which is helpful for accuracy too.

Give it a try!

·
Registered
54 Posts
So, as many of you know I have been very vocal against the use of "GPS Watches" because they just don't have the information that is useful in most GPS applications. Some of you I believe use either the Garmin 405 or the Suunto X10 for biking.
You used to be against the Garmins because they didn't give you that all-important TE and EPOC that you said were so absolutely vital to your training. I recall you also claimed that the T6 gave you more data fields, and that you were worried what would happen if the GPS quit working on a Garmin fitness device.

Anyone else using the 705?
I've used an Edge 305 for almost two years. Several times I've used a Forerunner 305 and a 310XT for biking, such as during a race or while I'm on travel using a rented bike. Before that, I used a Suunto T6 for both biking and running. So, in addition to the Polar HRMs I used before I went to Suunto, I have actually used products from each of the big three.

But now that you've actually used a Garmin, it's enlightening that your once-vocal criticism is softening.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You used to be against the Garmins because they didn't give you that all-important TE and EPOC that you said were so absolutely vital to your training. I recall you also claimed that the T6 gave you more data fields, and that you were worried what would happen if the GPS quit working on a Garmin fitness device.

I've used an Edge 305 for almost two years. Several times I've used a Forerunner 305 and a 310XT for biking, such as during a race or while I'm on travel using a rented bike. Before that, I used a Suunto T6 for both biking and running. So, in addition to the Polar HRMs I used before I went to Suunto, I have actually used products from each of the big three.

But now that you've actually used a Garmin, it's enlightening that your once-vocal criticism is softening.
Good point - at least I have the choice though. Go with BPM on the 705 display as I ride, or just look at my T6c. I could also get a handlebar mount for the T6c to track all of the biometrics, and just use the 705 as a GPS.

No limitations, just choices. Life is good!|>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts