WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got this watch for less than 15€ with shipping… cool fun watch for the summer b-)

The two rotating subdials are actually only printed :-d

There are TWO second hands :-d AND they're NOT synchronized :-d :-d :roll: (about 3 secs different :-x )

The movement is NOT a piece of art (quite ugly actually :-x )

But the dial looks cool :)

Big watch hey ? ;-)

I kinda like it, especially for the price I paid :)

·
Registered
26,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On a cheap brown band…

… that was previously on a MM homage :-d

·
Registered
26,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Extreme mod

·
Registered
250 Posts
Re: Extreme mod

Did you mod this one ? Wow! Also, if there are two de-synchronised second hands what is the one that you should take into account when trying to establish the precision? (how come they are de-synchronised in the first place?)Would love one of these, even though the quality is not great.
P.S. : the writing and serial number on the case back is almost identical to the Jaragar watches I've seen.Are they manufactured by the same factory?

·
Registered
26,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Extreme mod

Did you mod this one ? Wow! Also, if there are two de-synchronised second hands what is the one that you should take into account when trying to establish the precision? (how come they are de-synchronised in the first place?)Would love one of these, even though the quality is not great.
P.S. : the writing and serial number on the case back is almost identical to the Jaragar watches I've seen.Are they manufactured by the same factory?
I'd call it a destruction, more than a mod, actually ! :-d

Well, the idea was to remove the "Winner" brand that I just find outrageously cheesy :-x but in the process, I removed a bit of paint on the dial… I tried to clean the mess… and everything went horribly wrong :-d

Ultimately, I removed all the paint & markings using several spirits and oil… a long and painful process, but I was determined to go on ;-)

About the two second hands… I initially wanted to remove the big one to keep the small one… but I lost the later in the process o| never could find it back in the carpet, so I put the big one back in place :roll:

Initially both were slightly de-synchronised. But keep in mind we're talking about a sub 15$ watch, so accuracy wasn't my main concern.

Apart all those vicissitudes, the watch is still keeping and keeps surprisingly good time :think:

Couldn't find the same, but here is a white dial version : Mens Unique Date Display AUTO Mechanical Leather Watch | eBay

Or this skeleton model : Mens Skeleton Black Leather AUTO Mechanical Wrist Watch | eBay

·
Registered
26,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steampunk style !

Reactions: eblackmo and Cigano

·
Registered
26,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Winner - DNA RUST ;-)

·
Registered
26,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DNA RUST

·
Registered
26,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
26,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Captain Nemo's watch !

With the new strap :)

Reactions: Funkyman

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Re: Captain Nemo's watch !

I think Crown&Buckle are doing a 24mm, brown leather NATO with bronze hardware... ;)

·
Registered
26,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just needed see this watch again.
You sir, are a real Art Amateur :-d

And for this, thou shalt be rewarded.

Especially for you, today's set of brand new pics, directly from my Art Studio b-)

Surprisingly, this "thing" is stil running strong :-d (it started after a few shakes, I gave it a few manual crown winds, but that's it !)(good jog, WINNER ;-) )

·
Registered
26,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What have you done to that watch?

I absolutely love it!
Thanks ;-)

Errrm, let's see… Abuse. Mistreatment. Degradation. That's about it :think:

More seriously, I used several grinding heads on the Dremel to achieve this masterpiece :-x

I expected to remove the plating on what I thought was an alloy case… but it seems it was stainless steel after all :-s so I guess all we see now is several deposit of the different Dremel heads on the scratched-case. It looks OK ; not what I was expecting, but in the "spirit" of a Steampunk watch, for sure ;-)

Oh, and the dial itself was exposed to several liquids (90% Alcohol, White Spirit, water…) to remove the paint & markings… worked pretty well ; it removed everything, including the index & logo as well :-x

And I lost the redundant small second in the battle :-| that's too bad because my initial intention was to keep it and remove the central second hand. Yes, two second hands on this watch. How more ostentatious can you be ? :-d

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
It's really art , a watch with a lot of character.

Thank you very much Reno.

Enviado desde mi LG-D950 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,758 Posts
Thanks ;-)

Errrm, let's see… Abuse. Mistreatment. Degradation. That's about it :think:

More seriously, I used several grinding heads on the Dremel to achieve this masterpiece :-x

I expected to remove the plating on what I thought was an alloy case… but it seems it was stainless steel after all :-s so I guess all we see now is several deposit of the different Dremel heads on the scratched-case. It looks OK ; not what I was expecting, but in the "spirit" of a Steampunk watch, for sure ;-)

Oh, and the dial itself was exposed to several liquids (90% Alcohol, White Spirit, water…) to remove the paint & markings… worked pretty well ; it removed everything, including the index & logo as well :-x

And I lost the redundant small second in the battle :-| that's too bad because my initial intention was to keep it and remove the central second hand. Yes, two second hands on this watch. How more ostentatious can you be ? :-d
Haha it's brilliant. So much character.

PS thought of marketing that watch to hipsters?

·
Registered
26,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey, Reno, nice timely post. I just ordered this one from eBay, only with the gold dial (there is also a white version). I thought this was a real handsome timepiece. Does it seem to have a reasonably good power reserve? Many cheap autos need to be hand wound at least once in the 24 hour cycle. I'll now anxiously await its arrival. Looks good on your wrist. Cost me just under $15 US. About that second-seconds subdial: I have a Goer automatic that has exactly the same idiosyncratic ticking subdial that does not sync with the main one. At first, I kind of wondered if it was put there to signal the fact that the arbor-driven part of the movement was fully wound and you would not have to wind it manually at that point in time. But that theory didn't pan out. It's just, well, idiosyncratic...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts