WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
241 - 260 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Supply chains are getting absolutely atrocious. The governments are still insistent upon leaving meaningless mandates in place, staff have gotten very complacent in their jobs working from home. Add to that the mess the logistics has been, the war in Europe...

Meanwhile inflation is absolutely destroying the purchasing power of many individuals and businesses.
I work with supply chains. I understand the shortages and challenges. However, what you don't do is set a date for a new product launch, and then immediately tell customers you actually have no product to sell.

And it's not like visibility into your supply chain for the next 12 months is impossible. You will see shortages way before that.

In other words, product launch dates and supply logistics are supposed to work hand-in-hand, and while the issue can't be 100% solvable, it can be managed better.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I work with supply chains. I understand the shortages and challenges. However, what you don't do is set a date for a new product launch, and then immediately tell customers you actually have no product to sell.

And it's not like visibility into your supply chain for the next 12 months is impossible. You will see shortages way before that.

In other words, product launch dates and supply logistics are supposed to work hand-in-hand, and while the issue can't be 100% solvable, it can be managed better.
I dont disagree with that. However from a business/marketing pov that may not be most feasible. Companies have laid out roadmaps and while pitfalls can have an impact they usually don't like to delay excessively, especially when they have shareholders to report to.

Also, the manufacturing delays can often by impacted due to unplanned hiccups. A part that has been in excessive supply/demand can now have delivery or production issues due to above. This can have cascading effect on the balance of the cycle.

I oversee a mid sized business and we are seeing shortages that are unprecedented for our lifetime.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts

The problem is that watch companies want to time their releases at or around certain events. Omega purposely put their "Omega Days" or whatever that week of releases was prior to Watches and Wonders, and same with the moonswatch release.

I assume they planned and hoped that the watches would actually be available soon after, but that didn't pan out.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The problem is that watch companies want to time their releases at or around certain events. Omega purposely put their "Omega Days" or whatever that week of releases was prior to Watches and Wonders, and same with the moonswatch release.

I assume they planned and hoped that the watches would actually be available soon after, but that didn't pan out.
And that's the problem. The thing is if it was that important to upstage W&W with their UD and manual 57 Speedmaster, Omega Hulk, etc., they better take advantage of whatever momentum they thought they would be getting by announcing early.

What you are in danger of is to incite a fervor for a launch product and then illicit disappoint from the customer when you have no product to sell them. Then you have the batch of W&W watches coming online to deal with, which will increase interest in those brands right when they start to lose interest in yours. It's an easy switch over for the customer at that point.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
And that's the problem. The thing is if it was that important to upstage W&W with their UD and manual 57 Speedmaster, Omega Hulk, etc., they better take advantage of whatever momentum they thought they would be getting by announcing early.

What you are in danger of is to incite a fervor for a launch product and then illicit disappoint from the customer when you have no product to sell them. Then you have the batch of W&W watches coming online to deal with, which will increase interest in those brands right when they start to lose interest in yours. It's an easy switch over for the customer at that point.
Yea I agree, that is the problem they're facing now.

I'm just saying it is unlikely they knew it would take this long to get the products to market.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I would have announced after W&W and try to steal some of the thunder after other brand's launches.

And, since the Rolex releases always illicit some controversy (warranted or not), Omega could have latched onto any dissatisfaction. Especially with the Rolex Deepsea, some consider Rolex took a step back. UD could have stepped in at that moment.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Dropped by the NYC OB this past Saturday and got a chance to try on some sample UDs.

As I suspected, I wasn't too interested in the black steel variant, but it was still better than I had expected. Its just too plain for me and the state of my current collection, if that makes any sense. I want something that stands out more since I already have typical black/white divers.

The Ti is still my favorite, but being limited to fixed lugs really sucks because that new o-mega steel bracelet is amazing. The NATO didnt add as much noticeable thickness to the watch as I had feared, but the sides bulging out bothered me more. If I did go with the Ti variant, I'd most likely get something like the Erikas MN strap or Zulu diver's new OctoPod single pass + deployant NATOs.

Finally, the orange version was really growing on me. I love the lumed bezel and the orange was more of a subdued burnt orange in person. The dial still looks like a brown gradient to me due to my eyes playing tricks on me, but it was more obviously gray when I held it under the light. This is one I think would look much better in natural daylight.

The fourth variant (blue and white) was not available to sample :(

Anyway, pics:
(My wrist is about 7" or 18cm circumference.
If I use calipers, its about 6.1cm wide.)
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Finger
Watch Analog watch Clock Finger Wrist
Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Watch accessory
Gesture Finger Glove Thigh Knee
Watch Joint Muscle Leg Gesture
Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Everyday carry

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
@Nippero ...thanks for sharing the pictures and your initial impressions.

For a BIG watch it looks pretty good on you. Sharing your wrist size might also help others who are interested in the UD.

René

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
If I may ask, what were they asking for the black steel model?

THX!

(good pics, BTW)
I didn't talk pricing with them since it wasnt for sale yet. $11,600 is the MSRP though.

@Nippero ...thanks for sharing the pictures and your initial impressions.

For a BIG watch it looks pretty good on you. Sharing your wrist size might also help others who are interested in the UD.

René
Good point, my wrist is about 7" or 18cm circumference.
If I use calipers, its about 6.1cm wide.

I'll update my post too.

·
Registered
🎖USMC, Retired
143 Posts
@ # 252 Cod Holliday...(y)

I'm hoping for and holding out for a new PO variant 43.5mm/44mm with a white dial and black bezel. This would immediately cause me to trade in or sell off my SMP Great White/Orca for a steel bracelet model of the new PO and I wouldn't lose any sleep. Keeping fingers crossed...

Reactions: Nippero

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Nice job! Finally some real world pics! The black/blue SS on bracelet would be the one for me. Ti looks great as well, just wish they had it on a bracelet.

Did you get any clasp shots on the bracelet?

BTW...you can totally pull it off!
Bah sadly no, I realized after I left that I really should have gotten a picture of it.
I loved how sleek it was. The clasp itself was kinda long, but fit my wrist just fine and should fit anyone else who has a big enough wrist for the watch itself.
The quick adjust feature was really nice too. That bracelet is one of the main things pushing me towards getting the Orange Steel model instead of the Ti as I had originally intended.

And thanks! glad im not delusional thinking I can wear this haha.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The quick adjust feature was really nice too. That bracelet is one of the main things pushing me towards getting the Orange Steel model instead of the Ti as I had originally intended.
Great review. I was going to get the titanium model but after seeing your pictures I may go for the orange one. The strap on the Ti sticks out to much no mater what size wrist one has.

What boutique did you visit? There are several in the city. That's one of the few things good about the city, every merchant wants a store front there.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Great review. I was going to get the titanium model but after seeing your pictures I may go for the orange one. The strap on the Ti sticks out to much no mater what size wrist one has.

What boutique did you visit? There are several in the city. That's one of the few things good about the city, every merchant wants a store front there.
This was the flagship Omega boutique on 5th ave, around 54th st or something.
They might not have the samples anymore, my guy was telling me that the NYC boutique acts as a sort of hub for these things. They send the samples off to other OBs before getting them back and sending them off again. Probably best to give them a call before you go in if you just want to see the UD samples.

241 - 260 of 283 Posts