WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
261 - 280 of 283 Posts

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
What would be a PO variant of a PO UD?
To be more specific, a 600M PO with tech from the UD to make it thinner.
I think its a safe assumption that stuff like o-mega steel and the new bracelet/clasp will make it into a new PO 600M. Making it thinner should be possible but thin-ness hasn't been a priority for Omega dive watches so who knows.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have 7.5-7.75" wrists, so I can wear a large watch no problem. But I finally got rid of my Planet Ocean because I always felt it on my wrist as too thick for comfort, 16+mm. I'm sure as heck not going to get something even thicker.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
I have 7.5-7.75" wrists, so I can wear a large watch no problem. But I finally got rid of my Planet Ocean because I always felt it on my wrist as too thick for comfort, 16+mm. I'm sure as heck not going to get something even thicker.
Fair enough, the PO has definitely become a real thick watch ever since the master chronometer variants.

I don't think I'll ever find the one perfect watch for myself, so my solution is to just buy them all 😂

·
Registered
114 Posts
Making it thinner should be possible but thin-ness hasn't been a priority for Omega dive watches so who knows.
The UD had to be thick to get a 6000M rating. Just the crystal is 5 mm thick. The UD is not a practical watch for any normal human endeavor. It is only good for showing off.

The UD is a failure for popular attention compared to the Omega Swatch.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I meant making the standard 600M PO thinner should be possible.
I do not see why not. We are looking at a watch that's now 6+ years old on the shelves and perhaps much older on the drawing board (compared to today). Tech and fabrication techniques have evolved as Omega has shown with recent releases of SM300 and UD.

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
The UD is a failure for popular attention compared to the Omega Swatch.
The UD is not intended for popular attention (just as the DSSD wasn't) -
it is a technological feat, a yah boo to Rolex, and an answer to the many Omega fans who asked for a wearable UD. The R&D involved will be transferred to other models down the line

and it is not "only good for showing off" - it will be good to simply own and wear because it is a superb looking watch and a brilliant engineering achievement.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The UD is not a practical watch for any normal human endeavor. It is only good for showing off.
Nah....but just because you can't pull it off there are plenty of people who will daily wear it, or a DSSD, or other big, thick divers. To say that it's only a show off watch is silly....Simon nailed it above.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The UD is not intended for popular attention (just as the DSSD wasn't) -
it is a technological feat, a yah boo to Rolex, and an answer to the many Omega fans who asked for a wearable UD. The R&D involved will be transferred to other models down the line

and it is not "only good for showing off" - it will be good to simply own and wear because it is a superb looking watch and a brilliant engineering achievement.
I couldn't agree more and could not have said it better myself.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
This UD is ultra cool. No one will wear such a monster. I like ridiculously extreme divers. I've been wearing a Breitling Seawolf and a Crepas Cayman since 2013, both rated 3,000m WR, those are crazy thick, like 17mm. I also wear the first PO2500C 45.5, it's been a solid companion since 2005, "only" 15mm tall.

The UD makes sense in my divers collection (also includes two Kentex Marineman, a SD43 and a TT Bluesy 41). How long will it take for me to pull the trigger, I don't know. I'm kind of content and don't feel like spending €10k on another watch. Maybe if I sell a Rolex YM40, I could use that towards the UD. I like the gradient blue one, it's like a middle finger to the Deepsea 🖕😂.

My biggest problem is my wife will kill me if I buy another watch. So guys, please let me know if I should keep the wife or get the watch, bearing in mind I've got two young kids 😜.

·
Premium Member
Model citizen, zero disicpline
380 Posts
This was the flagship Omega boutique on 5th ave, around 54th st or something.
They might not have the samples anymore, my guy was telling me that the NYC boutique acts as a sort of hub for these things. They send the samples off to other OBs before getting them back and sending them off again. Probably best to give them a call before you go in if you just want to see the UD samples.
Sadly I was In NYC for business the week before last and the store on 5th Ave was closed by the time I was free. I would have loved to check one of these monsters out!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nah....but just because you can't pull it off there are plenty of people who will daily wear it, or a DSSD, or other big, thick divers. To say that it's only a show off watch is silly....Simon nailed it above.
I can "pull it off", that is a 49 mm on my wrist. Plenty can wear it but no one will dive down 3.7 miles; is what I meant by "just for show".
Watch Analog watch Light Black Clock

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just in case anyone was curious as to arrival time of the Ultra Deep. I went to my Omega dealer today to inquire about purchasing one. He was told by the Omega representative that he could take orders. They are also rearranging the store to make a better sales area for Omega. He called the representative while I was there and put him on speaker phone. He told him that I wanted to order the watch. We were told that if ordered I would probably see it later September, to mid October. With that information in hand I ordered the one with the orange bezel on bracelet.

261 - 280 of 283 Posts