WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow idiot savants.

Ultimately I have found myself longing for an ultra thin watch.
My dream would be a JLC jubilee, Piaget Altiplano or AP Royal Oak. Unfortunately, wife and banker alike have decided it is not the moment for such an investment. (all pics from internet)

So I have looked at some intermediary options. The hunt is hard because of course the prowess of an ultra-thin movement is pretty expensive.

The EPOS 3408 is a strong contender, but she has a terrible defect: She sports the Peseux 7001 caliber, and so does my Nomos Tangente (albeit modified). To this day it is still a dealbreaker, but I might succumb because she is very cheap.

I am also positively smitten with the Longines La Grande Classique design, it has everything I love, and these unusual lugs just drive me crazy. Why does it have to be a quartz?? once again the temptation is strong, but I cannot bring myself to pay so much for a piece of electronic timekeeping.

Where more should I look at? Frederique Constant is a brand I like a lot, even if they are not independant anymore. But I was a bit disapointed by the worldtimer and slimline moonphase (she sits at 11.3mm, which is barely less than my SKX007 (okay automatic and moonphase come at a price, still didn't like the thickness)). How are their ultra thin models? None of the deisgns have taken my heart so far.

So in the end I am left with only one option that truly moves me: The Cartier Santos Dumont Collection privée.
Of course the platinium option is way beyond my price range, but some gold models pop up around 4k here and there on the second hand market. Most of them seem legit, but if you have more information you are welcome.
It is such an iconic design, from a great house with amazing history, and it is ultra thin.

Do you have any other recommendations?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Montblanc Heritage Chronométrie Ultra Slim for about $1.5k.
Save the rest of the sum for grail.
Which is a Peseux 7001 that is not called a Peseux 7001 . You can look it up in the Hodinkee review for reference, its just finished a bit differently I think.

You are going to struggle to find non-inhouse Ultra thins that are NOT a Peseux 7001. The slimmest auto's have the 2892 and come in around 7-8mm atleast. The real slim pieces are going to be Quartz.

Sorry thats the Swiss market.

There are some cool non-swiss quartz ultra thins like the Titan Edge that are well worth a look at a significantly lower price point.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Although quite a bit below your intended price range, the Christopher Ward Malvern Slimline is a very interesting piece. It is less than 10mm thick, 8 Or 9 says their website. I measure it a little under 9. It has a high beat 28800 bph manual wind movement, which intrigued me.
IMG_5903.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Second hand Piaget Altiplano would be where I would look, but then the service costs...

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you're unable to bring yourself to spend that much on an electronic watch, then by all means do not buy the absurdly thin Citizen Eco-Drive One. It improves my chances for getting my grubby little hands on one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
The first problem is you asked the wife in advance. The second problem is you got the banker involved, who only cares about himself.

Get the JLC and never look back; you only go thru this life once.

Reactions: steadyrock

·
Registered
488 Posts
That JLC 1907 MUT is really absolutely amazing. A (far-fetched, lol) dream watch for me, for sure! If you can manage it, I'd say hold out until you can get it. Otherwise, Montblanc really does have some excellent choices. And the Citizen Eco-Drive One is pretty sweet.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
I've been in the mood for thin watches for a while (check my sig). I would consider the Citizen Eco-Drive 1. The case is sub 3mm, which is an accomplishment regardless of the movement. Otherwise, to get an ultra thin at that price, you're probably best off looking for vintage 1960s-70s dress watches. Many of the higher end brands around that time had dress watches sub 6mm. You could always get an old Delirium, though Renata no longer makes those batteries (I emailed them when I had the opportunity to buy an almost NOS Delirium I). And the Delirium IV (0.98mm) was so thin you can't actually wear it because the curvature of your wrist would bend it.

Otherwise, if you can rob your banker, look at Vacheron, Bvlgari, Cartier, and, like you mentioned already, Piaget for the true ultra thins.

Reactions: DutchMongolian

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
The Habring Felix would be a very worthy option...

·
Registered
887 Posts
If you are very patient you may be able to find an old jlc mut 34mm within your feasable price range

The movement has that nice jlc finish to ot as well

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts