WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are ultrasonic cleaners safe for mechanical watches? I assume that they are, but I have not read reviews or heard confirmation of this theory. Can someone confirm please? Specifically I have a Sinn 556, but many watches use the ETA 2824-2 movement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry but I must disagree with you.
The UX has been certified to a depth of 12,000 metres.
The bottom of the Mariana Trench is at a depth 10,918 metres or almost 7 miles.
The pressure at this depth is 17,000 pounds per square inch.
An ultrasonic cleaner does not exert this much pressure.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Whilst I would never use an ultrasonic cleaner on a vintage mechanical watch purely because of the lack of water resistance in general on vintage items, I have cleaned a few automatics without issues at all, in fact opened them up afterwards with no visible water. Maybe I was lucky but it seems strange 3 inches of water agitated would flood a watch.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
That I woud never do.
The vibration itself can severely damage the movement.
An Ultrasonic machine works like this: The vibrations cause cavitation, where tiny bubbles form and disappear very quickly. It is this movement of the liquid that helps remove and dissolve the dirt.

In my line of work, we clean everything first manually (large dirt), then in an Ultrasonic (small-microscopic dirt) then it goes into the Autoclave.

The only thing we never clean in the ultrasonic are the machines (high and low speed).
Wrecks the ballbearings and rotors.

Reactions: bruno_sfc

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
40,839 Posts
Sorry but I must disagree with you.
The UX has been certified to a depth of 12,000 metres.
The bottom of the Mariana Trench is at a depth 10,918 metres or almost 7 miles.
The pressure at this depth is 17,000 pounds per square inch.
An ultrasonic cleaner does not exert this much pressure.
It has nothing to do with constant pressure and everything to do with pulsed vibrations.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Cavitation, Bo, cavitation!

The same phenomen happens around propellers in water. OK for a surface ship, not so Ok for a submarine.

This cavitation will screw up the seals.
And I just do not want to know what happens to all the delicate contact areas in the movement, or the jewels.
The lubricating oils?
What about them??

Simple, they will migrate to areas where they are of no use.

Reactions: BrianMcKay

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did I damage my Traser Code Blue?

Hello.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner. I haven't used it much, but I used it to clean one of my folding knives a week ago and it worked great. Having seen the effects of the cleaner, I thought I'd put in my Traser P6508 Code Blue too. It worked. I used the ultrasonic cleaner again, yesterday. The watch still works, but I've read that these ultrasonic cleaners can damage watches and now I'm worried - is it possible that the cleaner somehow damaged my Traser and it's going to show in the next days?

·
Registered
8,551 Posts
Re: Did I damage my Traser Code Blue?

If its a quartz and its still running, I'd say you got lucky. Parts are meant to go in an ultrasonic. Not a watch still put together. I'd have the seals checked sooner rather than later.

"He's just a witness"

·
Moderator Emeritus
58,172 Posts

So What? Can't I open a similar thread? I did a search but I'm asking specifically if it's possible that I damaged my TRASER.
Do what you want to do. However, a Traser does not differ from any other watch. That's why a search prior to posting might have answered your question already. Now merged with one of the other threads.

·
Moderator Emeritus
58,172 Posts

If its a quartz and its still running, I'd say you got lucky. Parts are meant to go in an ultrasonic. Not a watch still put together. I'd have the seals checked sooner rather than later.
This !
Be it a Traser, a Rolex, a Tissot - It is not considered a good idea to put an entire, working watch in an ultrasonic cleaner since there is a risk ( not saying it will happen) to induce leaks than with static water pressure. Most cleaners come with a stand to allow you to submerge a bracelet whilst keeping the watch case clear of the liquid, though removing the bracelet entirely is the better option. Of course, if you are taking the whole thing apart to component level for cleaning, drying, lubing and reassembly it doesn't really matter -:)

·
Registered
326 Posts

I guess it's worth mentioning, that there's a huge difference between the Walmart ultrasonic cleaners, that barely pose a threat to a rotten apple, and a real high power industrial cleaner, that runs at a few hundred watts of actual sonic power at elevated temperatures.
A Walmart cleaner run for 60 seconds at room temperature in tap water, probably didn't clean anything, but is also very unlikely to cause much damage.
Throw it in an industrial cleaner for half an hour at 80C in an appropriate cleaning liquid , and you'll see all the damage you could ever imagine (it would be clean though).

Magura :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ultra sonic cleaning machine?

Hello all,
I'm a big stickler for clean, shiny watches and I'm looking for a good way to keep my watches scuff free without having to go to the watchmaker to get them polished which is quite expensive.
I've been looking at ultrasonic jewelry cleaners, ones that can be found cheap on Amazon and what have you. Does anyone have any experience using these? Are they safe and effective?
I've tried cape cod cloths which I like but I'm looking for something a little more effective. Any advice?
Thanks in advance!

Here's a picture from Amazon of one that I'm looking into:

·
Premium Member
24,595 Posts
Re: Ultra sonic cleaning machine?

There's a difference between cleaning your watch and removing scuffs and scratches. The ultrasonic cleaning machine you posted will do fine for cleaning bracelets, although I would avoid submersing the watch head into the watch. For scratches, if you want something more effective than Cape Cod, then you probably should consider a Dremel.

Reactions: bruno_sfc

·
Registered
189 Posts
Re: Ultra sonic cleaning machine?

There's a difference between cleaning your watch and removing scuffs and scratches. The ultrasonic cleaning machine you posted will do fine for cleaning bracelets, although I would avoid submersing the watch head into the watch. For scratches, if you want something more effective than Cape Cod, then you probably should consider a Dremel.
Thank you, so the ultra sonic will clean and polish but not remove small scuffs?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.