WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie question -- how are Ulysse Nardin watches true chronometers?
Lots of them say "CHRONOMETER" on the dial, but there are no hands for a chronometer, no pushers on the case side, no nothing that would make sense for a true chronometer watch. Even this diver Chronometer watch here, named as such on Ulysse Nardin's website, exhibits none of the chronometer traits...
Diver_Chronometer_1183-170-3.93_blue.dial_01_face.JPG

Also, consider this Ulysse Nardin El Toro GMT Perpetual 322-20 -- says CHRONOMETER on the dial, but no hands or controls for any such function... Very confusing!
Ulysse.Nardin_El.Toro_GMT_Perpetual_322-20_01.JPG

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
You're confusing chronometer and chronograph.

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I think that you are confusing Chronometer with Chronograph. :)

A Chronometer includes a movement that is certified after a series of rigorous tests. One of the tests is for extreme accuracy in different positions. Lots of other stuff too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC

A Chronograph is a watch that includes a "stopwatch" meant to time things. That's what the extra pushers are for. Many different styles of Chronographs and lots with different functionality. Both automatic/mechanical and quartz/solar/kinetic etc. etc. watches can contain chronographs.

I HTH somewhat. Lots of intricacies and choices around for both watches with Chronometer certification as well as chronographs. Oh....and you can certainly have chronograph's that are COSC certified!

Edit to add that UN watches are terrific. If you like a style and can deal with the price, I say go ahead.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your prompt responses.
Language played a trick on me, being that English is my second language...
In my native language that is a chronometer -- it measures intervals of time, i.e. a stopwatch.
A chronograph is 1) a piece of old popular writing that presents contemporary history and folklore tales meshed together 2) chronometer, stopwatch. Most of the time, only the first sense is used in everyday language.
Merriam Webster does make a distinction between the two, even though it lets chronograph be a stopwatch also...
Merriam.Webster_Chronograph_01.JPG
Merriam.Webster_Chronometer_01.JPG

It is probably watch jargon, a refinement of language (or abuse, the two cannot always be told apart) that one needs to get knowledgeable about, and used to...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
^
I’ve no idea how your native language has managed to arrive at the conclusion that a chronometer and chronograph are somehow interchangeable.
A chronograph is designed to measure lapsed intervals of time, accurately, whereas a chronometer is designed to be accurate irrespective of variances of position, air pressure, temperature, and vibrations.
I suspect it’s an aberration which has now become accepted as correct parlance, when local literary scholars should know better.
To learn more about how chronometry played a major part in understanding the layout of this planet, do a bit of reading regarding John Harrison, 1763.
For the history of chronography, check out Louis Moinet, 1815.

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
^
I’ve no idea how your native language has managed to arrive at the conclusion that a chronometer and chronograph are somehow interchangeable.
A chronograph is designed to measure lapsed intervals of time, accurately, whereas a chronometer is designed to be accurate irrespective of variances of position, air pressure, temperature, and vibrations.
I suspect it’s an aberration which has now become accepted as correct parlance, when local literary scholars should know better.
To learn more about how chronometry played a major part in understanding the layout of this planet, do a bit of reading regarding John Harrison, 1763.
For the history of chronography, check out Louis Moinet, 1815.
Well the etymology of "chronometer" is from the Greek words for "time" and "measure". And thinking about a chronograph, it could definitely be considered something that measures time.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Well the etymology of "chronometer" is from the Greek words for "time" and "measure". And thinking about a chronograph, it could definitely be considered something that measures time.
I second that. In my first language (French), chronometer is commonly used to define a chronograph, and 99% of people have no idea what a chronograph is. It's confusing for non watch people.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yes, but intervals, not whole days.
Bear in mind the device used by the Ancient Greeks back in the day – a sundial is certainly no chronograph.
My point was, with over 250 years since Harrison’s H4 defining marine chronometry, which defined longitudes, civilisation has had long enough to correct or modify definitions of their specific vocabularies.

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
Yes, but intervals, not whole days.
Bear in mind the device used by the Ancient Greeks back in the day – a sundial is certainly no chronograph.
My point was, with over 250 years since Harrison’s H4 defining marine chronometry, which defined longitudes, civilisation has had long enough to correct or modify definitions of their specific vocabularies.
Perhaps the French are using the words differently just to be different than the English.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts