WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just arrived from Osaka, the new analog Frogman GWF-A1000-1A4JF. Here are some quick unboxing photos and thoughts on the watch. I should note that I am not a diver and this will not be an in depth review of the functions of this watch. I'll leave that to one of you experts out there.

Standard Master of G boxes, which are nice enough. Some people complain that they haven't updated these boxes from the last generation, but since watch boxes just sit in a closet anyway who really cares, lol.

And voila! Sitting pretty in the box. Initially I had my sights on the blue colorway, but went with the red because I love the gunmetal bezel with the black lettering, which makes the red elements pop. This is a very handsome, modern-looking dial with nice, clean placement of the subdials and large, legible hands. Love the red seconds hand as well.

Obligatory wrist shot on my 7-inch (17.8 cm) wrist. Dimensions suggest that the A1000 is 2.5 mm shorter lug to lug than the D1000, has the same width, but is 1.7 mm taller on the wrist. The end result is that this remains a very large watch, but is unquestionably more comfortable on the wrist than the previous two generations of Frogs (D1000 and 1000). It also helps that the band is slightly more supple than the previous versions and does not suffer the same overhang issues as the D1000, though it is still fairly long as it should be for a dive watch.

The nice matte black Carbon Monocoque case sits smooth and flat on the wrist. As far as I know, this is only the second CM case on a G-SHOCK after the new GWR Gravitymaster that was released last year. Though not designated here, the glass is sapphire.

Can we just give a shout out to Casio for bringing back the resin keeper? Those scratch-magnet steel keepers that slide around are the absolute worst. Keep it simple and functional I say.

The steel buckle has a nice alternating brushed/matte finish and is thick and sturdy as you'd expect for a tool watch.

In summation, this is a great-looking watch and in my opinion a nice change from the previous six generations of digital Frogs. I understand that real divers bemoan the loss of the depth meter and other helpful functions, and those complaints are legit. But I bought this watch for its unique aesthetics and build quality, and Casio gets top marks in those areas, as the fit and finish on this one is notably superior to previous Master of Gs.

Tough to tell from these photos, but there is a very nice interplay of brushed, matte and polished surfaces on this watch. The brushed steel bezel has a thin polished inner ring, and there are smooth and textured surfaces on the dial.

Then you got those two large polished pushers on the left counterbalanced by the big knurled screwdown crown on the right. Great stuff.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed the photos.

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
Congrats Kubr1ck, very nice! As usual, great photos and writeup. It is a handsome watch. I think you made a wise choice with the red one. Looks great! (y) And I agree, the resin keeper is a nice touch!

If only Casio had stuck with a std steel (or Ti) case back, I'd be interested. For some reason, after having owned the GWR Gravitymaster, I'm just not a fan of the carbon.

Anyhow, super nice looking watch, enjoy it!! (y)

Reactions: JustAbe and kubr1ck

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just arrived from Osaka, the new analog Frogman GWF-A1000-1A4JF. Here are some quick unboxing photos and thoughts on the watch. I should note that I am not a diver and this will not be an in depth review of the functions of this watch. I'll leave that to one of you experts out there.

View attachment 15324907

View attachment 15324909

Standard Master of G boxes, which are nice enough. Some people complain that they haven't updated these boxes from the last generation, but since watch boxes just sit in a closet anyway who really cares, lol.

View attachment 15324913

And voila! Sitting pretty in the box. Initially I had my sights on the blue colorway, but went with the red because I love the gunmetal bezel with the black lettering, which makes the red elements pop. This is a very handsome, modern-looking dial with nice, clean placement of the subdials and large, legible hands. Love the red seconds hand as well.

View attachment 15324914

Obligatory wrist shot on my 7-inch (17.8 cm) wrist. Dimensions suggest that the A1000 is 2.5 mm shorter lug to lug than the D1000, has the same width, but is 1.7 mm taller on the wrist. The end result is that this remains a very large watch, but is unquestionably more comfortable on the wrist than the previous two generations of Frogs (D1000 and 1000). It also helps that the band is slightly more supple than the previous versions and does not suffer the same overhang issues as the D1000, though it is still fairly long as it should be for a dive watch.

View attachment 15324915

The nice matte black Carbon Monocoque case sits smooth and flat on the wrist. As far as I know, this is only the second CM case on a G-SHOCK after the new GWR Gravitymaster that was released last year. Though not designated here, the glass is sapphire.

View attachment 15324918

Can we just give a shout out to Casio for bringing back the resin keeper? Those scratch-magnet steel keepers that slide around are the absolute worst. Keep it simple and functional I say.

View attachment 15324919

The steel buckle has a nice alternating brushed/matte finish and is thick and sturdy as you'd expect for a tool watch.

In summation, this is a great-looking watch and in my opinion a nice change from the previous six generations of digital Frogs. I understand that real divers bemoan the loss of the depth meter and other helpful functions, and those complaints are legit. But I bought this watch for its unique aesthetics and build quality, and Casio gets top marks in those areas, as the fit and finish on this one is notably superior to previous Master of Gs. Tough to tell from these photos, but there is a very nice interplay of brushed, matte and polished surfaces on this watch. The brushed steel bezel has a thin polished inner ring, and there are smooth and textured surfaces on the dial. Then you got those two large polished pushers on the left counterbalanced by the big knurled screwdown crown on the right. Great stuff.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed the photos.
Compared to the standard US market tin, your unboxing experience was much nicer! The tin my red analog Frogman came in was so cheap and uninspired.

I'm on my second red one...first one was faulty, never had that before in a G-Shock, but my initial one would not register the proper time in the tide mode. My replacement red Frogman seems to be working as it should.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Congrats @kubr1ck, great choice!!! 😊😎🤩 Awesome UB and IT with great shots!! :love: Enjoy Bro and wear it in good health!! I am still not sure but if I do pull the trigger, it will be the third time!! Stay safe and healthy everyone and congrats on the new forum (y)(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Compared to the standard US market tin, your unboxing experience was much nicer! The tin my red analog Frogman came in was so cheap and uninspired.

I'm on my second red one...first one was faulty, never had that before in a G-Shock, but my initial one would not register the proper time in the tide mode. My replacement red Frogman seems to be working as it should.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Sorry for your troubles. I actually had no idea that the North American versions came in different packaging. Strange that they'd stuff an $800 watch into a basic G-SHOCK tin. Oh well, as I said, the packaging stays in the closet anyway. I'm glad you got your issues sorted!

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats and looks great! Wear it in good health!
Good to hear it wears better than its brothers
Thanks for the quick review. Looks good. Congrats.
felicidades, a disfrutarlo
Nice nice Enjoy Kubr1ck
Great presentation, great watch! Enjoy! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you, my friends. I'm glad you approve. 👍

Congrats Kubr1ck, very nice! As usual, great photos and writeup. It is a handsome watch. I think you made a wise choice with the red one. Looks great! (y) And I agree, the resin keeper is a nice touch!

If only Casio had stuck with a std steel (or Ti) case back, I'd be interested. For some reason, after having owned the GWR Gravitymaster, I'm just not a fan of the carbon.

Anyhow, super nice looking watch, enjoy it!! (y)
Thanks, T4P. I remember you sold the GWR-X. I briefly considered selling mine as well only because it rarely got wrist time (I'm too in love with the older GPW-1000s), but every time I put it on the wrist I change my mind. That being said, my issue with the GWR is not so much the carbon monocoque case but that the dial feels a little cluttered. The Frog's dial looks a lot more open.

Congrats @kubr1ck, great choice!!! 😊😎🤩 Awesome UB and IT with great shots!! :love: Enjoy Bro and wear it in good health!! I am still not sure but if I do pull the trigger, it will be the third time!! Stay safe and healthy everyone and congrats on the new forum (y)(y)(y)(y)
Thanks Abe. I know you're not a big G-SHOCK analog guy, but this new Frog is worth taking a second look at. They look nicer in person than in photos, and they're comfortable on wrist. You always go big or go home anyway, man! 😎

·
Registered
9,064 Posts
Nice looking watch, Kubr1ck. Wear in the best of health, mate. (y)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Congrats on your purchase Kubr1ck! The red is quite the looker!!

Have you by any chance used the STW mode yet? I was using mine and noticed that I could not use the hand shift function while in that mode.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice choice @kubrick the red version for you was a shock (not!) Looks great enjoy my friend(y);)
Haha, thanks Dennis. You know me well!

Nice looking watch, Kubr1ck. Wear in the best of health, mate. (y)
I appreciate that, Higgsy!

Congrats on your purchase Kubr1ck! The red is quite the looker!!

Have you by any chance used the STW mode yet? I was using mine and noticed that I could not use the hand shift function while in that mode.
Have not messed with the STW yet, but will let you know if I notice different behavior. Which colorway did you get?

That’s a gorgeous watch
Great review, wear it in good health!

After reading many controversial words about this watch, I need to say, for me it's the best looking Frogman.
Thanks guys. I own 7 Frogs from 6 different generations, and I have to say, I agree that this one looks the nicest. Of course I'm an analog kinda guy, so definitely some bias there. In terms of digital Frogs, I think the GWF-1000 had the coolest dial with the tide graph and such.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats!
Thanks, man!

Thanks for checking on that. :)

I had the black/yellow variant, but sold that one and replaced it with the blue strap model.

Damn, Worker. I just got my first one and you've already bought and sold one and have a second one? You're making me feel old and tired here, bro! Now you're tempting me with that blue Froggy with the silver bezel. Looks great. :oops:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts