WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unboxing & wrist shots: Vintage HMT Janata & Henri Sandoz. Ebay from India antique.watches/limra

This is my first vintage watch purchase on Ebay and my first from India.

After reading the many posts and peoples experience I was a little apprehensive about what I would receive.

First off I scoured the site for these vintage watches and agreed to myself that I would only purchase a watch where the seller took detailed photos including the movement, and that the movement had to look almost perfect. There are many many nice looking watches where the movement looks corroded. These watches come from India and have probably been subjected to all of the abuse of the climate over their long lives.

I purchased from a seller called "antique.watches"

Shipping from India to Australia took almost 4 weeks (which is stated in the item description, so I am happy with that)

What I received was a bubble wrap ball (good protection I'd say) - (unboxing photos on my car seat again - I'm so impatient)
23082012295.jpg 23082012296.jpg
What I didn't know was that antique.watches are the same seller as limra watch studio. These sellers appear to create new usernames for themselves whenever their bad ratings get too high and rely on the volume of sales to have a high feedback score.
Inside the ball was a hard watch case with my two watches wrapped in more bubble wrap
23082012297.jpg
In side the next layer of bubble wrap the watch faces were wrapped in tissue paper.
I can't fault the packaging, a lot of effort was put in to get these watches to me in one piece.
IMGP4095.JPG IMGP4102.JPG
HMT Janata (won for GBP6.50) and Henri Sandoz and Fils (won for GBP7.50) both including free postage.

My first impressions of both watches were that they looked like new. The auction had stated that the crystals were new and the cases "professionally" polished, new bands and refurbished or original dials and serviced.
The watches arrived looking almost perfect.
IMGP4075.JPG IMGP4077.JPG

I have become a huge fan of the Henri Sandoz watch, I love the graduated metallic brown dial and I think it look very stylish on a slim wrist (it is a small watch as was the style of the time).

The Janata is a larger watch, still very light though. I love the red second hand, I might look for a NATO strap for this one.

They are both keeping good time over a day maybe +1min per day. I'm happy with that for a vintage watch.

Overall I am very happy with my ebay experience from antique.watches. But I did do a lot of homework and scoured the photos for watches with nice clean movements. The negative feedback ratings these sellers might receive may be a factor of buyers having unrealistic expectations, spending too much and not buying a watch with a clean movement.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Re: Unboxing & wrist shots: Vintage HMT Janata & Henri Sandoz. Ebay from India antique.watches/limra

I love my Janata from Hari! :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Unboxing & wrist shots: Vintage HMT Janata & Henri Sandoz. Ebay from India antique.watches/limra

I love my Janata from Hari! :)
I liked the Janata with the red hands and the feel of it (vintage? and all) that I have now ordered a new HMT Pilot and a new white Janata like the one posted by WUS member "Chascomm"
HMT_Janata.jpg

·
Registered
1,129 Posts

I like the funky numerals of the white dial HMT. Congrats!

·
Registered
896 Posts

what is the size of these watches? 32mm or 36mm? Thanks!

·
Registered
999 Posts

Those both look fantastic. And so cheap! Well done. Now I may just have to follow your lead...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

They are 36mm. Unfortunately both watches stopped working a few years ago. I may have got 2 years life out of them. All my hmt's that I bought new are still working fantastic so know that is you buy these cheap 2nd hand ones they are just cobbled together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts