WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else reading "The Chase"?

I'm just about finished with it. It didn't take too long to 'get into it' and now I can hardly put it down.

Only one problem. He's created a great character (with another great car adventure), but since it's set before the advent of the wristwatch it's only mentioned that he looks at his "pocket watch" - no mention whether or not it's a Doxa... but it could easily be...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just finished it last night. Real good read, great escapism. Once again Clive creates an interesting and fun character, the book flows and keeps you reading. Randy

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Is anyone else kinda disappointed that there aren't any new Dirk and Al adventures coming out? I miss reading about his orange dialed doxa dive watch.
DW

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thor...Glad to hear someone else is reading the book on the forum. I Just got it on loan from my dad this past weekend. Will start reading it by this weekend (have something else to finish first.) Can't wait to get to it.

David...Yes, I agree with you. I WANT DIRK AND AL BACK. Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't. I still have 3 left in my stack to read before I am through them all in the DP series. I hope there is still a few more to come.

Ryan

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
Only one problem. He's created a great character (with another great car adventure), but since it's set before the advent of the wristwatch it's only mentioned that he looks at his "pocket watch" - no mention whether or not it's a Doxa... but it could easily be...
Not only should it be a DOXA pocket watch, but one of those with the "exotic" dial. You know, the ones that we all snicker at on eBay.;-)

Clives's pretty descriptive with his text. Can you imagine what he'd have to say about that?:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm about half way through. So far I like it. Interesting character's. I always like to read a good story and get to learn a little history at the same time.

My Uncle gave me the book and was disappointed with it. He didn't elaborate as he wanted me to read it and get back to him my impressions.

I'll have to find out why when I am done which won't take long.

David

·
Registered
15 Posts
I still have to start reading the book after buying it a couple of weeks ago,
but I am very interested after seeing the replies on the subject.

Janco

Doxa Sub 750T Sharkhunter 1119/5000
Doxa Sub 750T Professional Dirk Pitt Edition 905/5000

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finished it last night, and if I had to critique it I'd have to admit that it's a bit predictable, but its so much fun, who cares? I found it to be a real page-turner.

I'm only disappointed that he seems to have dead-ended the character. I'd be up for more Isaac Bell adventures.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I decided I need a break from rereading all the Dirk Pitt novels. I had just finished Atlantis Found so The Chase made for a nice change of pace. Isaac Bell is a fresh character and I imagine we'll be seeing some more of him. I felt some of the old Clive Cussler magic in the book as it was not as much a formula book as the newer Pitt books. I'm sure writers start having a problem when characters become too familiar. Besides, Dirk is starting to get a little long in the tooth, as we all are:-d:-d:-d. One of the reasons Clive invented Kurt Austin. It's nice to see that Mr. Cussler hasn't lost his touch. It's also good to see that it's a solo effort which indicates that Clive probably enjoyed writing it as much as I enjoyed reading it. Just my two pesos.

Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts