WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
21,068 Posts
I've never heard of this guy, but I have an OEM 1171 on my Speedmaster right now and have been looking to make a change and the flat link really caught my eye, so I picked it up. At $89 (sold out of the solid endlinks), it seems worth the risk.

I assume my 1171 clasp will fit the flat link US1035?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I recently bought the 1171 on my 3861 speedy the fit is very good. I would like the solid endlink better but some of you already posted that it wouldn't fit the 3861. Now I'm planning to buy the OEM clasp from the bay. My question is: is it easy to change the clasp? Any video tutorial?
Want to know first before spending $75.
TIA.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
For those who may be considering adding the oem clasp the their US1450 bracelet (especially those of you in Canada), here's some advice to you, if I may be so bold.

Before trying to source the clasp from the popular auction site, try calling your local AD or OMEGA Boutique. OMEGA are still selling them and they are pretty reasonably priced. They also come sealed in their original packaging;

White Finger Font Technology Plastic

Here in Canada I paid $150 cad. I'm just sharing what I think is some valuable information. I wasn't aware I could still get the clasp brand new from OMEGA.

René

·
Registered
57 Posts
For those who may be considering adding the oem clasp the their US1450 bracelet (especially those of you in Canada), here's some advice to you, if I may be so bold.

Before trying to source the clasp from the popular auction site, try calling your local AD or OMEGA Boutique. OMEGA are still selling them and they are pretty reasonably priced. They also come sealed in their original packaging;

View attachment 15976984

Here in Canada I paid $150 cad. I'm just sharing what I think is some valuable information. I wasn't aware I could still get the clasp brand new from OMEGA.

René
Hi René, thank you for the info ! I will certainly consider this option.
Can you describe the content of each bag ?
If you're planning on fitting it yourself I'm very interested in some description on how to do it.
After a quick check on the actual clasp I see that one side is pretty easy, the one with the springbar and the micro adjustments holes. However I'm not certain about the other side.
Not sure about the technical terms but the other side look like a fixed hinge and not an easily removable springbar. Do you have to hammer out the little axle?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Hi René, thank you for the info ! I will certainly consider this option.
Can you describe the content of each bag ?
If you're planning on fitting it yourself I'm very interested in some description on how to do it.
After a quick check on the actual clasp I see that one side is pretty easy, the one with the springbar and the micro adjustments holes. However I'm not certain about the other side.
Not sure about the technical terms but the other side look like a fixed hinge and not an easily removable springbar. Do you have to hammer out the little axle?
Hi Mamaw,

The little bag contains the clasp and one spring bar.

As for the connection to the bracelet that you're referring to, yes, I guess it's a friction pin that is pushed out and then gently hammered back into place once the clasp has been mated to the bracelet.

Automotive lighting Tints and shades Jewellery Magenta Art

If you're planning to purchase from an OB or an AD then just ask them to mount the clasp for you. It should only take them about 7.5 minutes as they have all the appropriate tools on hand.

Best of luck!!

René

Reactions: Roningrad

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Mamaw,

As for the connection to the bracelet that you're referring to, yes, I guess it's a friction pin that is pushed out and then gently hammered back into place once the clasp has been mated to the bracelet.

View attachment 15978353

If you're planning to purchase from an OB or an AD then just ask them to mount the clasp for you. It should only take them about 7.5 minutes as they have all the appropriate tools on hand.

Best of luck!!

René
Thank you for the detailed information, enjoy your beautiful watch.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
While I do generally like the bracelets and straps US makes, I wouldn't classify them all as 'excellent.'

The rough finishing on the links, the tinny clasps, etc. on the 1450 should not be overlooked. I mean, the Strapcode bracelets feel/look much better finished, are cheaper, but obviously they don't make bracelets for Omega. I remember a post before saying, that US bracelets sometimes get a pass for these kinds of things because he's the only one making alternative bracelets for specific watches. I now understand what that poster meant.
Yes! I thought I was the only one. I ordered a US1450 on launch day and was honestly disappointed in the quality of the finishing, compared to my Uncle Seiko Jubilee I got for my SARB a couple years ago. The inside edges of the links and the edges of the end links are quite rough. Working the links back and forth against one another helped smooth the burrs down a bit and I suppose I could take a file to the end links but it shouldn't be something you have to do on a bracelet that cost more than the rest of his. I emailed Larry about it thinking it was maybe just an issue with the first production run being rushed through. Thought maybe he'd offer to replace it, but no such luck. I didn't push it. I love the way it looks, but just isn't as premium feeling as my US Jubilee. I've considered ordering another one to see if they've improved, and selling my first one, but I'd feel kind of silly if it had the same issues.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yes! I thought I was the only one. I ordered a US1450 on launch day and was honestly disappointed in the quality of the finishing, compared to my Uncle Seiko Jubilee I got for my SARB a couple years ago. The inside edges of the links and the edges of the end links are quite rough. Working the links back and forth against one another helped smooth the burrs down a bit and I suppose I could take a file to the end links but it shouldn't be something you have to do on a bracelet that cost more than the rest of his. I emailed Larry about it thinking it was maybe just an issue with the first production run being rushed through. Thought maybe he'd offer to replace it, but no such luck. I didn't push it. I love the way it looks, but just isn't as premium feeling as my US Jubilee. I've considered ordering another one to see if they've improved, and selling my first one, but I'd feel kind of silly if it had the same issues.
I hope the Forstner release will be better quality.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For those that have switched the US clasp to the Omega 1162, do you find that he "snap" closure of the Omega is very light and doesn't hold the clasp shut very well? I bought one and, while it does close and snap lightly, I can easily get it to open back up, sometimes even if just my wrist is bent it'll pop open. Is there a way to make it more secure?

Hi Mamaw,

View attachment 15978353

Best of luck!!

René

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
For those that have switched the US clasp to the Omega 1162, do you find that he "snap" closure of the Omega is very light and doesn't hold the clasp shut very well? I bought one and, while it does close and snap lightly, I can easily get it to open back up, sometimes even if just my wrist is bent it'll pop open. Is there a way to make it more secure?
Yes, I do find that the OMEGA clasp doesn't snap closed with as much force as the US clasp, and it is also easier to release. However, I haven't had any issues with the OMEGA clasp popping open on it's own.

The operation of the OMEGA clasp just seems more refined to me...like closing the door of a $30k automobile compared to closing the door of a $130k automobile. One doesn't have to slam the door shut on the $130k auto in order for the door to be closed securely. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but the operation of the oem clasp just feels more refined.

Rene

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
Those old-style folding clasps are super easy to adjust, you just need to increase or decrease the relative curve of each side. Here's a video performing the adjustment on a vintage Rolex clasp:

·
Registered
69 Posts
So I tried this from the video and found that you bend the middle section in the opposite direction as described in the video. It must be because the Rolex clasp "grabs" the bar on the thinner piece whereas it's the opposite on the Omega clasp (the hook is on the thinner piece that grabs the clasp.

When I bent it in the direction described above it would no longer catch. So I went the other direction and now it's a tighter catch. I'm talking just barely bending though, nothing extreme.

Those old-style folding clasps are super easy to adjust, you just need to increase or decrease the relative curve of each side. Here's a video performing the adjustment on a vintage Rolex clasp:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Can anyone tell me the width of the last centre link (watch end) in the US1450 bracelet? I'm trying to source some straight end links to put one on my Mark II. It looks like 10mm, which would be ideal, but not 100% sure.

If someone had a vernier caliper to hand, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers,
A

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Can anyone tell me the width of the last centre link (watch end) in the US1450 bracelet? I'm trying to source some straight end links to put one on my Mark II. It looks like 10mm, which would be ideal, but not 100% sure.

Cheers,
A
I'm at work at the moment, so no calipers with me. I can measure it when I get home, but that won't be for another 10 hours. Hopefully someone else can help out before then.

René

Reactions: Ascalon

·
Registered
57 Posts

Cheers,
A

101 - 120 of 129 Posts